TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several weeks ago I installed a pair of Tusk D-Flex Handguards on my Zongshen 200GY-2. Previously I had installed a set of Pro Taper SE ATV High Bend handlebars. While installing the Pro Taper handlebars I needed to cut about 1-inch off each end of the handlebars so I wouldn't need to lengthen my cables and front brake line.
Therefore, the ends of my handlebars were open, and ready to accept the Tusk anchor bolts for the handguards.
However, after cutting off the ends of my handgrips, I discovered the Pro Taper handlebars were slightly smaller in diameter about 1-inch inside the ends of the bars.
Therefore, I needed to drill the inside of both ends of the handlebars with a 9/16-inch bit before I could install the bolt anchors inside the handlebars.

Placing the aluminum guards next to the handlebars, I found the best placement for the inside handguard supports.

At this point I noticed I would need to move my brake line to accommodate the inside handguard support on the right handlebar. After cutting the small metal tab in front of the banjo bolt, I was able to rotate the front brake line forward enough to accommodate the handguard support.

After test fitting the handguards, I also discovered I needed to cut the balls off the ends of my clutch and brake levers for the handguards to fit. I castrated the levers with my 4-inch angle grinder.

I inserted the anchor bolts into the ends of the handlebars, and loosely tightened them.

I then loosely tightened the handguards to the inside handguard supports.

The handguards should be rotated about 10 degrees lower than horizontal, so one doesn't break his wrists if he falls over the handlebars.
After verifying the fit was good, I removed the aluminum handguards and attached the handguard shields and spoilers.
With the plastic pieces in place, I reattached the handguards and tightened all the bolts.

I like the way the black handguard shields compliment the aluminum handguards, and match my black handlebars.

Spud

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I also like the way the orange spoilers add some extra color, and extra visibility to the front and sides of my bike.

The Tusk D-Flex Hanguards are very strong, and have protected me well while riding.

I'm happy to know my handlebars, grips, throttle tube, levers, and hands are now well protected from falls and impacts with tree limbs.

I'm very happy with these handguards, and I am pleased to report they fit my Pro Taper SE ATV High Bend Handlebars very well.

Spud

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Good write-up Spud. I have the same guards and they have worked well for me.

Did you use the rubber piece that goes around the bolt anchor? Weird that you had to drill out your bars.

They look great on your bike.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Those are the same guards Roe had on her bike when she went down. Other than a few scrapes in the plastic shield their fine with no broken levers. Worth every cent!! Just wish her ankle was that tough.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I have the same guards but black/red combo. They are nice....

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I have bent mine twice now but they were both on falls going over 15mph. A little hammering in a vice brings them back nicely. I did sand off the brushed coat down to the regular aluminum after beating the crap out of them with the hammer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good write-up Spud. I have the same guards and they have worked well for me.

Did you use the rubber piece that goes around the bolt anchor? Weird that you had to drill out your bars.

They look great on your bike.
Thank you, Rainman.
No, I did not use the rubber pieces on the bolt anchors. Indeed, I was surprised I had to slightly ream the inside diameter of the Pro Taper handlebars.
The handlebars originally had threaded plugs in the ends of the bars, but I cut about an inch off each end of the handlebars when I installed them, which removed the threaded caps. I shortened the bars so I would not need to get a longer, front brake line and longer control cables for my Zong.

Spud

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have bent mine twice now but they were both on falls going over 15mph. A little hammering in a vice brings them back nicely. I did sand off the brushed coat down to the regular aluminum after beating the crap out of them with the hammer.
Thanks for verifying the durability of the Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Crawler.
These handguards certainly appear to be very solid and durable. The Tusk D-Flex Handguards with spoilers are also a very good value at $63.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/229/1036/-/9550/Tusk-D-Flex-Handguards-Spoilers/D-FLEX+HANDGUARDS+WITH+SPOILERS

I also like the fact every component of these handguards can be purchased, and replaced separately, at a very reasonable cost. For example, one can replace the spoilers for $9.99, et cetera.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/218/962/-/9599/Tusk-D-Flex-Spoilers/D-FLEX+HANDGUARDS+WITH+SPOILERS

Spud

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
As a note. Installing these on the stock bars is a pretty tight squeeze to get them to fit under the crossbar.
When I had the stock bars i installed them above the crossbar. With the protaper I have now, they are under it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As you can see in the photo, I located the inside clamp just below the cross bar on my Pro Taper SE ATV High Bend handlebars.
In fact, I needed to loosen the cross bar, and move it out of the way before I could tighten the rear bolts of the inside clamps.

Spud

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I had the stock bars i installed them above the crossbar. With the protaper I have now, they are under it.
Did you have to cut the ends off on brake and clutch levers?
I am looking into buying Tusk handguards but do not want to cut the lever.
Was mounting them above the stock crossbar easy or some adjustments need to be made?
Thank you.

·
Registered
634 Posts
No need to cut anything. You can just move those assemblies in by loosening the assembly screws which hold them on the bar and sliding in. Very easy. I have no idea how the stock bar would accommodate above the crossbar as the spacing is not right for that. I'd be interested in seeing anyone's pics who has done so.

See this video to see spacing, etc.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/18566-tusk-d-flex-handguards-3.html#post406473

The pics on that thread and others are indispensable. Let us know if you have any questions or get stuck on anything.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Good details, I still don't have any but I ride the street mostly. My bike has had the simple life. Trails occasionally if available.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got the dflex installed on stock bars...clamp under the crossbar. No adjustment to clutch or anything else. Feels very solid and hope they'll protect well. Bent my front brake handle on a nasty dump at brushy mtn. NC. Highly recommend brushy mtn for a large variety of riding styes. 1800 acres and growing of easy four wheeler and SxS trails to WTH am I doing here on a tw200 single tracks! Lol.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got mine installed today. Probably a couple hours all told.

A couple notes:

1) For some reason my handlebar mounts were not "articulated", like those in the photos above:

Did not interfere with the install - I managed to get everything lined up pretty well:

Dremel tool with cutoff disk took care of the throttle end.

2) I did have to adjust the angle on the front brake line - it was right where the bracket wanted to be:

3) Finally, I went with white, figuring if the blue did not match exactly it would look "off". I think they look fine:

4) Finally finally, has anyone mounted aftermarket turn signals up on the handguards? Would clean up the front a little, I think.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts