TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

Since I got my '87 last summer I have been researching cargo racks. I haven't found any information on the Tusk brand rack - searched this site and came up empty. Is this a new option? Doesn't look too bad... just google the title and you'll see it, too. Your thoughts?

-reddave

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
First I've seen of this particular rack. Personally I prefer something with more rounded edges with hopefully less chance of imparting injury to the rider in a mild crash. Any rack will hurt if you make hard contact with it, its just that the edgy stuff can cause greater trauma.
That said the Rusk rack likely has a more usable load platform than it's closest competitor, the CycleRack. Plus my mentioned risk of injury is negated if one plans to attach something like a large Pelican hard shell box.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not overly impressed but your post did lead me to the Alpha Rider Black Rear Seat Rack that sells for $88.26 USD which suits my budget better then the $119.75 for the Tusk model. Just my opinion. Thanks for the effort all the same.[h=1][/h]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not much effort at all, really! I hadn't looked into racks for many weeks. My first google search returned an auction website advertising the Tusk brand. That stood out to me at first due to their brush guards. Then I realized never saw a rack from that company before... and I was surprised to find no info on the forum. Any opinions, comments, questions, and concerns should be (and are) always welcome!
-reddave

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So as it is wintertime still, I haven't jumped on a Cycleracks rig yet. I had wrote off this Tusk rack as they say it will only fit bikes from 90-19. I was confused by this because the Cycleracks will fit all years. I still have to contact the manufacturer again for some more detailed information regarding fitment. But I found this video just now - can someone tell me why this wouldn't work on a 1987?

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
That rack should fit an '87 with all the strengths and weaknesses as well as any other model year TW. i.e. despite Tusk's attempt to eliminate rotation at the foot peg mounting points the mild steel rack's arms themselves will still flex along their length transmitting some additional load to the sub-frame mounting points on bumpy trails.
Expect any sub-frame failures to be about as frequent as those occurring with Cycleracks. Pre-emptive re-enforcement of the sub-frame to rack can help but there is little to be done to strengthen the sub-frame to frame mounting tabs. The sub-frame to frame tabs are likely deliberately designed to be the weak link thus limiting damage transmittal to the frame proper. Having sacrificial mounting tabs can prevent whole bike having to get frame straightened after a rear impact, hopefully one can just buy and replace the subframe.
Pull your seat and look carefully at how bike is put together at the rear and you can see how these fatigue fractures occur. My Cyclerack has been weld repaired three times and subframe twice before the sub-frame broke off entirely. This was at MOAB2017 when two other TWs also suffered total subframe failures.
Old threads address these failures as well as re-enforcement techniques.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am not social media conscious, but a very internet savvy friend of mine told me that I'm supposed to put in a disclaimer here? I don't know anybody who works at Tusk, or Rock Mountain ATV. Hardly anyone, in fact - I prefer animals. I'd also like to say I am not anti-Cyclerack in any way! I couldn't find anyone on this forum who's had experience with this product before. This alone was initially intriguing to me. I'm a new guy here and have taken ALOT of information from this forum and have given little back. I'm going to change that with a brutally honest review of this product.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so here is my initial review of the Tusk Utility Top Rack! Arrived today via USPS. All the hardware was included as pictured in the three page color directions, which I found to be clear and easy to follow. All the welds looked like they were ok to me. With that said I'm not a welder so pictures included. Installed with no issues at all on the 1987. It seems like a solid rack to me and I'll be reporting on loads and usage. IMG_20190323_162334.jpg IMG_20190323_162348.jpg IMG_20190323_162413.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello friends,

Since I got my '87 last summer I have been researching cargo racks. I haven't found any information on the Tusk brand rack - searched this site and came up empty. Is this a new option? Doesn't look too bad... just google the title and you'll see it, too. Your thoughts?

-reddave
Easy install. No issues. Very solid. I’m happy with it.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts