TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a TW200 16 with a busted top and bottom end. Was looking at buying new parts and rebuilding the engine but the cost does not make sense. I am now considering an engine swap. I am looking to buy a 2001-2019 motor for a Yamaha TW200. Please let me know if you know anyone that is trying to sell one. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
13,793 Posts
To widen your engine choice, you can use any year TW engine. The only thing you would need to do if you used a 2000 and older TW engine in your 2016 is you would have to swap and use your 2016 side cover (with the stator assembly) and the flywheel and replace them on the older than 2000 engine. This is because the electronics also changed slightly from pre2000 and 2001 and up TW models. I replaced my 2005 engine with 1993 and this is what I had to do.

Oh, also I had to use the 2005 carb intake boot, the one which is between the carb and engine, in order to use the 2005 carb. The 1993 boot wouldn't line up correctly with the carb. I suspect there is a slight "angle" and "length" difference between the boots since they used different carburetors.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have an 04 in WI. Sorry will not ship. Still haven’t figured out what is market price. I was thinking $375.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Since you're looking for a complete engine, maybe open your search up to XT225 and TTR225 engines as well.

You'll need to use your existing left side cover and electrics, and pick up a counter-shaft extender from Placerlode, but you'll gain some performance, get a sixth gear, and a bigger clutch.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I replaced my '87 engine with an '88 last summer. I must admit, I really wish I could have been more patient and went for the 225/6-speed conversion. I was halfway through riding season and found myself a cheap, quick fix with the '88 swap to get back on the trails. CJ7Pilot has the right idea! Use your lemons and make lemonade, my friend!

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sorry I can’t help with your request but I am curious- What did the previous owner do to totally destroy both top end and bottom end of a 2016 engine?

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Try contacting member PlacerLode since he has for sale both a donor TTR225 engine and the output shaft extension needed to drop the bigger bore 6-speed motor into the 2016 TW chassis.
PlacerLode's business has him traveling extensively so occasionally he can deliver bikes and parts. Even if he doesn't have what you want networking with him might be helpful, since he is a nice very knowledgable guy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts