TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my third 200 but my brother wants to start back country exploring and trying to decide on a jeep or a TW. Perhaps another member here that has both can give us some feedback - why one or the other.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
You must not have let him ride yours yet, or he would have already decided... :p
I am on my third 200 but my brother wants to start back country exploring and trying to decide on a jeep or a TW. Perhaps another member here that has both can give us some feedback - why one or the other.

Thanks

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have both. A super charged TJ - I love the jeep and take it off road, but find I use the Jeep for going skiing and going out into the woods to go shooting. The Jeep is slow going off road and you are stuck exploring on fire roads/wider trails - no single track, no zipping thru the woods, jumping berms going into the trees to get around a fallen tree...or closed gate. I will never sell my Jeep -it's great for some things and not so good at others. I would consider a Quad for back woods travel/exploring before a Jeep if uncomfortable on 2 wheels. I'm still surprising myself where I go on the Dub! I'm going to Caldor out in Grizzly Flat in an hour or so - should be able to get way out there today, a lot of the snow has melted -- the Jeep could easily take this trip...but it would be way "tamer" and less fun imo.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Apples to Oranges. You'll need both to really decide rather others opinions. But I'll bet you'd keep both too.

IMG_4743.JPG

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have had both-still have the TW don't have the Jeep! Jeep keep you dry and takes people with you. MC will go anywhere the Jeep will (street legal jeep at least) the Jeep will not take you everywhre the TW will go. Winter-Jeep wins hands down up here in "The Great White North". I say Stagewex has it right. Jeep with a carrier with a TW.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
A TW will go where no Jeep will ever dare! I guess maybe if you live in wide open desert spaces the jeep might be a good option but around here in the forests the trails I find most fun to explore are way too narrow for even a lot of the ATVs. The TW in most off road riding leaves no foot prints while a jeep would tear things up real quick. I don't even need a trail in many spots and can just pick my way through the trees to get to that way back fishing hole where the big trout lay. If you have the $$$ to buy both then you will quickly learn where you have to park the jeep is where the TW keeps on going.

GaryL

·
Registered
258 Posts
I never owned a jeep but I do go off roading on my TW with a few Jeep enthusiasts and also own an ATV. The TW can go most anywhere the lifted jeeps go and can also scoot to places the jeeps can't. But the one area I have not got by is DEEP water crossings. Some of the trails we ride have a few water crossings and for most the TW is fine or can go around. but the deeper river crossings mean either making a makeshift bridge or turning around. Same story for MY ATV. It's bone stock. It lifted and not snorkelled so it too sits too low for some of the water crossings. I also don't ride my tw for hours down a highway to get to trails I end up trailering it while the jeeps guys drive there go off roading and drive home.

That being said. The tw gets me to some amazing places and all at a minuscule comperative cost. I'd also venture to say the TW is far more fun to explore on as well. Comparing my TW to the ATV. The ATV is just as capable as the TW and is a LOT easier to operate. But it just not as exciting it does not engage you as a rider as much. So for me the TW is my machine of choice.

One other item to consider is the TWs major limiting factor on determining were it can take you is essentially you as the rider. With a jeep the driver does influence were a jeep can go to a smaller extent but the size of your wallet aka how much you can modify the jeep also plays a big roll.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Have you tried Lizrdbrth's solution for high water crossings? You could go into water as high as the gas tank with it.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/673-tw-died-water-crossing-carb-vent-solution-offered.html Post 14

I never owned a jeep but I do go off roading on my TW with a few Jeep enthusiasts and also own an ATV. The TW can go most anywhere the lifted jeeps go and can also scoot to places the jeeps can't. But the one area I have not got by is DEEP water crossings. Some of the trails we ride have a few water crossings and for most the TW is fine or can go around. but the deeper river crossings mean either making a makeshift bridge or turning around. Same story for MY ATV. It's bone stock. It lifted and not snorkelled so it too sits too low for some of the water crossings. I also don't ride my tw for hours down a highway to get to trails I end up trailering it while the jeeps guys drive there go off roading and drive home.

That being said. The tw gets me to some amazing places and all at a minuscule comperative cost. I'd also venture to say the TW is far more fun to explore on as well. Comparing my TW to the ATV. The ATV is just as capable as the TW and is a LOT easier to operate. But it just not as exciting it does not engage you as a rider as much. So for me the TW is my machine of choice.

One other item to consider is the TWs major limiting factor on determining were it can take you is essentially you as the rider. With a jeep the driver does influence were a jeep can go to a smaller extent but the size of your wallet aka how much you can modify the jeep also plays a big roll.

·
Registered
85 Posts
65CBD044-3CCF-4CDA-BA5D-45C449B8BB89.jpg IMG_1950.JPG

Thanks
I have a 99 TJ as my weekend driver. I can get about anywhere we want to go, as far away from the house as needed. Not big into modifying and tearing equipment up, but it's fun to be able to drive down the interstate, onto the back roads, onto the family farm, right across the county ditch that crosses the farm, right up to the edge of the woods to set up a tree stand. Now with the TW on a hitch mounted carrier behind the Jeep (which I have all the stuff to build except the time right now, pics will follow "or it didn't happen "?) imagine the possibilities at the farm NOW. The TW is fun, but it's 35 miles to the farm, and in today's world of texting distracted idiots, bless their hearts, the Jeep puts me where it's more fun to get the TW down and enjoy the backroad and off-road. Say if a buddy were to come along, we can pull a trailer of TWo TW's (see what I did there son) with the Jeep. TWice the fun ( did it again). My work truck is an F250 so it's capable of pulling the stuff, but full of tools and construction supplies but it's dedicated for work. The Jeep might run over some lil trees and rocks, but the TW gets beTWeen (hmm) a lot more. TWonight I'll get pics of the TWool TWube I threw on her last week. Have a great Sunday! IMG_7868.JPG 65CBD044-3CCF-4CDA-BA5D-45C449B8BB89.jpg IMG_1950.JPG

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have you tried Lizrdbrth's solution for high water crossings? You could go into water as high as the gas tank with it.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/673-tw-died-water-crossing-carb-vent-solution-offered.html Post 14
That wouldn't really help as I'm talking water deep enuff to submerge a TW entirely. Jeeps I ride with are running 6" lifts and 35" tires among other expensive bits. There jeeps are not extreme or anything but as far as fording water they can get in there a lot further than a bike for obvious reasons.

Other wise the bike is every bit as capable and in most cases more so purely for the ability to avaoid obsticals

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMG_5588.JPG I have both. If you're going to stay out for an extended period of time, then the Jeep. Short trip, the TW. I also have a Jeep trailer with RTT and it can carry the TW on the hitch carrier so I take all 3.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Hoot has done some with both ...

Although I sold my Wrangler a few years back...that thing would go any and every where...and I wouldn't fall over in Sand...:p

But gotta admit, I prefer the company and openness on the TW....but the Jeep was superior when traveling alone, which I did much of back in the 2002-2009 years ...

Jeep 2002  Bluecropped.png

·
Registered
85 Posts
IMG_8702.JPG IMG_8707.JPG

Finally took the hard top off and put on the soft top today. Gotta beef up the rear bumper to take the weight of the HF hitch hauler so I can haul the TW to the old stompin grounds. Remember those trails I cut in? Good days ahead.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I say both if you can swing it, I have an old Toyota truck with a flat bed on it, It will go most anywhere except the single track trails, we have a lot of them around here. I can throw one or to bikes on the back pretty easy.
Im suprissed that a Mule was not on your list! Lol. :loyal:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts