TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Newbie to the forum and (almost) a TW200 owner. I'm going to be hauling a 5th wheel rv and the rear hitch on the 5th wheel has a 300lb load rating and I'm thinking that between the weight of a carrying rack and the bike I'll be over that limit. I really don't like the idea of the bike being near or over weight limit when bouncing around on the back of an RV/Trailer where I can't see it!

Another option I'm considering is a front mounted rack for the bike to side on the front of 15-16 F-350, and I've seen couplers rated up to 500lb. I've heard comments on other sites about blocking headlights and turn signals (could overcome that with remote mount lights) and also that the bike may block airflow to radiator.

My question(s):
Does anyone haul their TW on a front mount rack?
Does anyone haul on the back of a 5th wheel/travel trailer?
I've seen loads of great mods: are there mods that can be made that will lighten the TW but still maintain functionality and performance?

Any answers, ideas, input & thoughts are appreciated!

Jim

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a rack that I use on the hitch of my pickup, but I also have a 5th wheel that would not allow for that. I think personally I would be more comfortable with the TW on the front of the truck, where I can see it, than on the back of my 5th wheel trailer. I know there are some folks here that definitely use the front rack setup, so hopefully they will chime in. Also, this thread seems to have some good info throughout that may be helpful https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/63316-help-need-hitch-carrier-i-can-load.html

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Hello,

Newbie to the forum and (almost) a TW200 owner. I'm going to be hauling a 5th wheel rv and the rear hitch on the 5th wheel has a 300lb load rating and I'm thinking that between the weight of a carrying rack and the bike I'll be over that limit. I really don't like the idea of the bike being near or over weight limit when bouncing around on the back of an RV/Trailer where I can't see it!

Another option I'm considering is a front mounted rack for the bike to side on the front of 15-16 F-350, and I've seen couplers rated up to 500lb. I've heard comments on other sites about blocking headlights and turn signals (could overcome that with remote mount lights) and also that the bike may block airflow to radiator.

My question(s):
Does anyone haul their TW on a front mount rack?
Does anyone haul on the back of a 5th wheel/travel trailer?
I've seen loads of great mods: are there mods that can be made that will lighten the TW but still maintain functionality and performance?

Any answers, ideas, input & thoughts are appreciated!

Jim
Being that you have a fifth wheel, what is the clearance between your bumper hitch if you have one that will accept a rack? I am thinking of putting my tw on one under the nose of the fifth wheel. I carry mine a bit back on my truck and have a lot of room there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input!
If not a front rack, do you think there is a way to mount some kind of rack across bed directly behind cab to mount bike in front of 5th hitch (long bed)?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have carried my dub on the back and front of my motorhome with no problems - some of the roads on cross country trips were flat out crazy bouncy etc as well. I like having it in the front - really can keep and eye on it lol - but no night driving with it on front.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
front carry effects things like headlamps. license plates and cooling I'd avoid that but your rear 5th wheel hitch can easily be reinforced by any welders at a muffler shop etc or maybe even a bolt on solution we are talking 350 lbs with a TW and a Versahaul VH-55 hitch hauler

front carry also coats your TW with bugs and road grime like you wouldn't believe lol

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Jim, are you talking about a receiver hitch on the back of the 5th wheel RV trailer or a receiver hitch on the back of the haul vehicle?
Either way any reasonable TW carrier with a TW on it will exert an effective force exceeding the quoted rating of a 300 pound trailer tongue weight. The bike on a carrier just does not equate with a trailer loads over a trailer ball.
Could go into a physics dissertation on force times lever arms for effects on the vehicle elements based on distanced from center of load to receiver hitch socket, distances to receiver hitch mounting attachments on vehicle, and distance of course to rear axle.
However in today's litigious environment and commonly accepted good engineering practices a safety margin of 200% to 250% of observed failure loads is common.
As such while your insurance company would look to the comparison of all up weight of the TW plus fuel plus accessories plus carrier weights vs. the 300# rating in practice your receiver can carry significantly more static weight. Dynamic loads from bumps and other accereations are a different matter.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Jim, are you talking about a receiver hitch on the back of the 5th wheel RV trailer or a receiver hitch on the back of the haul vehicle?
Either way any reasonable TW carrier with a TW on it will exert an effective force exceeding the quoted rating of a 300 pound trailer tongue weight. The bike on a carrier just does not equate with a trailer loads over a trailer ball.
Could go into a physics dissertation on force times lever arms for effects on the vehicle elements based on distanced from center of load to receiver hitch socket, distances to receiver hitch mounting attachments on vehicle, and distance of course to rear axle.
However in today's litigious environment and commonly accepted good engineering practices a safety margin of 200% to 250% of observed failure loads is common.
As such while your insurance company would look to the comparison of all up weight of the TW plus fuel plus accessories plus carrier weights vs. the 300# rating in practice your receiver can carry significantly more static weight. Dynamic loads from bumps and other accereations are a different matter.

Note to self.

1. Do not challenge Fred to a game of Scrabble.

Tom

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Well, in addition to understanding just what is going on it sometimes gets down to whether one wishes to worry more about 1) what if something breaks, or 2) who is liable if something breaks.
In other words a diligent insurance adjuster could deny a claim involving a TW on a hitch carrier attached to a receiver hitch with only a 300 pound listed rating. And if you use it just go slow over bumps. Hows dat for a translation?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
hitches on the back of RV trailers are usually very weak generator platform hitches unless you are lucky and somebody put a bomb proof hitch on it for you

if it's OEM install it's likely weak junk

A TW flopping around on a hitch especially canitilevered 10 feet in back of the axles takes quite a beating hauling that way would be an absolute last resort for me

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would not do it...when you consider the lever effect with a static load you are already passed the design load..... and then if you consider a dynamic load and the multiplying effect of acceleration (up and down) that thing is going to fail...…

You could have it rebuilt assuming the chassis on the 5th wheel even has something strong enough to tie to.....,,???

There are States that allow trailering behind a 5th wheel....you might check that out.....but...

If you intend to to take the bike often, I suspect your best bet is to put it on the front of the 350 as the truck can probably handle the weight...there is a plate on the insider of the drivers door that will tell you the maximum load for the front end with the stock tires when properly inflated …. .that is normally limited by the tires....you probably already have 10 ply tires and the tire sidewall will tell you the maximum the tires can be inflated..... watch the engine temps under hard use....

Of course you could trade for a toy hauler 5th wheel that is designed for that purpose.....kind of the right tool for the right job...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have had many different motorcycles (WR250r, XT225 and TW200) on the front rack of my 2006 DMax with no issues. The cooling system has never complained. Lights can be an issue, but you could add auxiliary. TW will stay cleaner on the front as the road grime will not accumulate on it. It will suffer from bugs.
image.jpeg
WR250r on Alaska trip
image.jpeg
View from cab
image.jpeg
TW at FSR campsite

·
Registered
8,297 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i carry mine 56.JPG 35.JPG 96.JPG on the front also. no night driving and i do have a temperature rise on the long hills in summer, but it does work well. as far as the 500 pound limit, i have away around that. i hang the ends of my rack with chains to the tow hooks, i figure that gives me about 25% more carry capacity ( just guessing) plus the chains take ALL the wobble out of the bike while traveling, even on the back roads

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Taking Gary's idea to the next level are swivel wheel trailers. " [h=3]Swivelwheel Products are NOT Compatible with Tag Behind Trailers, They are However Compatible with Fifth Wheel Trailers that are 30+FT in Length and have a "Dry" or "Empty" Weight Rating of At least 10,000Lbs."[/h]
bounder46.JPG.w300h225.jpg .
I had a swivel wheel trailer once, impossible to jack-knife or get hung up. Great for light loads like a motorcycle.

Another idea is Plumbstraight's where he sling loads his TW onto bed behind cab with a compact crane.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts