TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20170512_123623_resized_1.jpg TW 225+ CLUB!!!! How many any of us are out there running a TW 225cc six speed and larger motor? How do you like your torque and HP? What is your mpg? Any problems that you haveing? What are the down sides if any? Would you recommend the 225 six speed to others?

Ronnydog

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I am running a TW226 6-speed with a 6-plate clutch. The engine started out as a 2000 TTR225 that was bored out from 223cc to 226cc and fitted with a high compression Wiseco piston. A modified TW output shaft was fitted to allow the use of the TTR six speed transmission. I am using using the TW left side engine cover/flywheel/stator and CDI. I am also using the TW right side cover which was modified to fit the larger clutch pack. Carburetion is the stock TW carb.

Power and acceleration is noticeably improved and engine pulls strongly through all gears including sixth gear. The thing that I like the most is the clutch which engages much more gradually and positively than the stocker. Engine starts easily and warms up quickly. I have experienced no problems and never bother checking my mpg. This engine makes me smile every time I take it out.

This was my first complete small engine teardown and rebuild and I was a little apprehensive about whether I could do it successfully. It is really a pretty simple job. Just take your time, label and organize parts as they come apart, take good notes and lots of pictures. It can only go back together one way. A special shoutout goes to Vagabond for his guidance, assistance and encouragement - thanks Roy!

100_5423.JPG

100_5419.JPG

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TW Brian Very nice clean build no oil leaks, successful. The 225 motor build really helps with the large rear tire mod and gives great response from the throttle compared to stock. I'm running a 2002 TTR225 clutch basket assembly with heavy duty springs and spring spacers. Before that I ran the stock TW clutch assembly with Barnett clutches with great success for several years . The crankshaft out of the XT 225 a certain year, fits the TW clutch assembly.

ronnydog

·
Registered
634 Posts
This is something I'm HIGHLY interested in doing. Once I get the xt250, the tw will become my frankenbike. Next mod is the tt600 tank.

What's cruising speed with this setup compared to stock?

Is there a tutorial somewhere? parts list?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I'm using the stock camshaft. I think it may help to use a use a custom cam to move torque from the low end to the top end. This 250cc has lots of low end torque.

ronnydog

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is something I'm HIGHLY interested in doing. Once I get the xt250, the tw will become my frankenbike. Next mod is the tt600 tank.

What's cruising speed with this setup compared to stock?

Is there a tutorial somewhere? parts list?

Cruising speed is determined by sprockets. My TW is used for mostly off road and not maintaining 70 on the highway. That said I could maintain 70mph easily with the right sprockets. The TW 250 halls ass!

ronnydog

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Not sure if I qualify as having a right to post on this thread — as I am fortunate enough to have to have a stock TW225, but with a five speed box

Nice relaxed ride, plenty of torque (unlike my 200), and with speed limits typically being between 50 mph and 60 mph, enough top end performance to get the job done

But I do have a valid question for the 6 speed conversion (and all the things that necessarily come with it) — is all that fuss worth it ?

I’m talking primarily about the 5 speed box, as compared to the 6 speed box here — the five speed gets the job done, but at what point does that 6th gear really count ?

Is the torque curve less ? — is 6th “over drive” ?

I appreciate that you “do what you have to do” over the pond to achieve this, and that as such, a 6 speed option would appear to be the way to go, but has anyone ever compared the 225cc 5 speed against the 225 6 speed boxes (having done the conversion of course)

The 5 speed seems to be a lot more relaxed about this, and given the ratio (stock TW225), this is hardly surprising — but my question is, does having that extra gear make things more “frantic” ?

At the end of the day, both the stock TW225 and the converted 225 are putting out around the same number of horses, same top end rpm, so theoretically, the same top speed

And if you start messing with sprocket ratios, isn’t that just an extension of what you can do with the 200 ?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the Club Purple!
I think for me the biggest advantage is having second third fourth and fifth gears to use in Lou of second third and fourth . It allows me to keep the bike in the power band. Hope that helps. I think it's worth adding the six speed if you're going to build a 225 but I don't know if it's worth doing if you already have a 225.

ronnydog

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The conversion to a 6 speed trans could be done without the top end mods- you could certainly have a 200cc 6 speed. Study the threads hard- Qwerty posts some great gearing info in RD's thread.

How-some-ever, it's not a matter of removing the side covers to get at the transmission. You must dismantle the entire motor, pull top end, split cases. For clarification's sake, the modification is to the TW output shaft, not a TTR shaft. (I'm using the term "output shaft" instead of "countershaft") You'll then need the entire transmission including the shift barrel & related parts out of either an XT225 or a TTR225. The TTR230 didn't have the wide range 6.

A question, for clarification's sake: Does your TW200 slow down on hills at highway speeds? Mine most certainly did. A long highway grade would slow the bike down below safe traffic speeds- 40 mph or so on a really bad one. Eventually you downshifted, but the engine was so wound out you didn't speed up much. That means it won't have enough power for 6th gear to make much difference. You could tinker with final (chain drive) gearing and improve that a little bit.

The 230 6 in Orbit is very happy at 60 mph and has the power to pull it, even with the Duro tire, up quite a grade. So great to be doing 50 mph in 5th gear- and have another gear to go. The bike will go 65...70, not really. That's with 14/50 gearing. I'm considering 14/49, a kind of half step, but this is pretty ideal. A lighter weight rider (I'm 200 lbs) or less gear (usually 20- 50 lbs) will increase performance.

There are a few ways to get the engine mods:
1) get a TW output shaft (perhaps from your present engine) and have someone machine it. Then get an entire 6 speed trani from one of the above bikes and assemble it into your good TW case. Result is a TW200 6 speed, may or may not be worth the effort.

2) get a TW output shaft and machine it. Get an entire XT or TTR225 engine, dismantle it completely and install the shaft. Now you have a TW225. This comes with a couple other nice things such as a much better 6 disc clutch. This is the best option we have. If the XT/TTR engine is in good running condition, it's the least amount of work.

3) go to Japan and somehow wangle a factory TW225 engine.

No easy way out.

R.

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, RonnyDog, yours was one of the builds that I followed, so thank you! Do we get a special flair or something to put in our signatures?

CS1983, I'm not sure if there is an official walkthrough, but the next best thing are the threads on this forum. I posted the links to a bunch of them in my thread (so that I don't have to x-post)
http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/43905-looong-overdue-tw250-write-up.html

To increase the hp of the TW has been a project of mine for many years just out of my necessity for more power. When you put myself at 250 lbs and a deer or camp gear on a 196cc out of date technology motor it was a problem. My first TW was a 1995 and started trying to get more Power out of that little motor since then. Your post on the TW 250 build was brilliantly put together and I very much enjoined it. I wish I had the ability to put thoughts on paper like you but it's a chore due to me being highly dyslexic.

ronnydog

·
Registered
129 Posts
That is exactly why I deferred to folks like yourself, who have been though hell and back with our bikes' motor. Better to listen to those who've done it before, than to try and reinvent the wheel, haha. Also, I don't deserve so much praise for my post, since I procrastinated for so long, and the secret to the long post is that it was written in a word processor and just copied to the site. Thanks, though.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Yes I'm using the stock camshaft. I think it may help to use a use a custom cam to move torque from the low end to the top end. This 250cc has lots of low end torque.

ronnydog
I have been pleasantly surprised with the increase in performance of the MegaCycle camshaft. A slight loss of power in the lower speeds but still plenty of power to crawl over things and a pretty good gain in the higher speeds. I chose the lesser of the two performance camshafts -- 261-00 or 26100.

megacamspec.jpg
P9150022.JPG

The valves open more and stay open longer -- your engine will breathe better and therefore make more power. You may need to rejet the carb. It does take a little "getting used to".

In case you are interested:
Megacycle address..jpg

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've had my 225 6 speed in for a couple seasons now and it went so well I'm at it again. my current set up was a 2001 ttr bottom end with the tw jiblets like the output shaft and the left cover. I also used the high comp wiseco piston.

It pulls significantly harder than the stock motor did freshly rebuilt and the gears are much more usable IMO. I hated that the 5 speed had the huge jump from 4th to 5th and as such I ended up back and forth quite a bit on gravel roads. I will admit there is a little more busy work with the 6 speed, but well worth it. The clutch is also better. As someone who rides the tw pretty hard I can attest that the 6plate clutch with ebc plates and springs was an improvement for me.

fuel economy seems to be right around 50mpg regularly and that includes off road on road and lots of hard driving....... Ive had over 75, but I use 50 as a reliable baseline for the jackassery that I produce for calculating range.

over all Im very happy with it and what power and drivability are like. I'm hoping to get another noticeable step in performance with the second go around.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been pleasantly surprised with the increase in performance of the MegaCycle camshaft. A slight loss of power in the lower speeds but still plenty of power to crawl over things and a pretty good gain in the higher speeds. I chose the lesser of the two performance camshafts -- 261-00 or 26100.

View attachment 118321
View attachment 118329

The valves open more and stay open longer -- your engine will breathe better and therefore make more power. You may need to rejet the carb. It does take a little "getting used to".

In case you are interested:

View attachment 118337
Elime thanks for chiming i always appreciate your input. I believe you are correct it was my next step in this 250 build. The raptor 250 carburetor has really changed the performance of the bike in going from the stock carburetor. I am hoping somebody tries this carburetor on the 225 or a stock bike .will ck there camshaft, did you run heavy duty springs?

ronnydog

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had my 225 6 speed in for a couple seasons now and it went so well I'm at it again. my current set up was a 2001 ttr bottom end with the tw jiblets like the output shaft and the left cover. I also used the high comp wiseco piston.

It pulls significantly harder than the stock motor did freshly rebuilt and the gears are much more usable IMO. I hated that the 5 speed had the huge jump from 4th to 5th and as such I ended up back and forth quite a bit on gravel roads. I will admit there is a little more busy work with the 6 speed, but well worth it. The clutch is also better. As someone who rides the tw pretty hard I can attest that the 6plate clutch with ebc plates and springs was an improvement for me.

fuel economy seems to be right around 50mpg regularly and that includes off road on road and lots of hard driving....... Ive had over 75, but I use 50 as a reliable baseline for the jackassery that I produce for calculating range.

over all Im very happy with it and what power and drivability are like. I'm hoping to get another noticeable step in performance with the second go around.
Great input vanilla gorilla right on the money. I got 46 miles to the gallon pulling my TW trailer from close to Utah all the way to tombstone through Arizona with a heavy load.

ronnydog

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Ronnydog when are you going to do a write up on your trip mentioned above. You have to fill us in on the raptor carb too. This trip was a big test is sounds like it went well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts