TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 and recently washed out the air filter. The Owners Manual states that the air filter needs to be oiled. I have not done this, but the TW seems to run fine. Is there any damage or ramification of running the bike without air filter oil? I assume it might run leaner??

Thanks to anyone and everyone that might help.

Explorer

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
Without the oil, it's possible some fine dirt and debris can make it through the air filter and into the carburetor where it could collect in the float bowl and clog needed passageways, jets etc.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The oil is what catches the small particles of dirt and dust and keep them out of your engine. A foam filter is not like a paper one and should not be run dry. I would oil that thing before you ride it any more.

I personally like the no toil stuff that pro cycle and others sell. just wear rubber gloves when you oput the oil on, its goopy stuff.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/932/26124/No-Toil-Evolution-Foam-Air-Filter-Oil
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/932/1691/No-Toil-Foam-Air-Filter-Cleaner

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I went & bought the oil & applied it. I wonder if it runs richer (fuel) with an oiled air filter as less air gets in?

Glad we have this Forum to get sound advice!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Thanks guys. I went & bought the oil & applied it. I wonder if it runs richer (fuel) with an oiled air filter as less air gets in?

e!
It shouldn't, if you have the proper amount of oil.

There should only be a thin film of oil on the filter, not dripping wet.

Squeeze out all the oil you can.

jb

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Frame makes some in a spray can. Much less mess and waste. Pretty orange color so you can see you're covered.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Owners Manual states that the air filter needs to be oiled.

In the olden days it might also have said to use 30wt motor oil. I had some 90wt on the shelf and I noticed it was quite sticky/gooy. Takes a couple of minutes to work it in but a little dab will do ya.
It's my official foam filter oil now;).

best regards & God Bless

MAC

·
Registered
20,465 Posts
I use a K&N aerosol filter oil, nice red color. Once applied I squeeze all excess out between absorbent towels or paper waste until no more can be readily removed.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
I use a K&N aerosol filter oil, nice red color. Once applied I squeeze all excess out between absorbent towels or paper waste until no more can be readily removed.
I think Lizrdbrth mentioned 2-stroke oil a long time ago. I've been using that for the air filter squeezing out the excess just like you do with the K&N filter oil. The 2-stroke oil is a blueish color so that's how I can tell the entire filter is covered.

@ Turtle Chaser. I've never heard of using these types of oil before. Good to know in case I don't have the filter oil or 2-stroke oil on hand. Sounds like many many ways to get this done.

Reactions: Turtle Chaser

·
Registered
807 Posts
Ive never used anything other than regular ol engine oil on any sponge filter. No particular weight, just whatever bottle happens to be open at the time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
M U C H Damage can and will happen. Get it oiled immediately. The filter depends on the oil to trap dirt. It is practically useless without oil except for rocks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Or you can use ATF if you like the red color. It will work just fine and is cheaper.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
Or you can use ATF if you like the red color. It will work just fine and is cheaper.

My replacement filter oil inventory has drastically gotten bigger without even going to the store. Thanks for listing all these alternatives.:icon_thumright:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts