TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am in North Dakota near the South Dakota border. I went to SD to the small town of McGlothlen. They have a small atv shop there and I needed some sparkplugs and a plug wire head that would hold onto the plug as the one on my 1500 kawasaki kept coming off. Nice that it has 4 plugs for a two cylinder.

Got to talking about the TW and the owner said he has had a lot of interest in them but can't get any. Seems they are hard to find here. Had a lot of comments about mine as I ride it to work each day. Is a ten mile one way on gravel. That shinko my friends is about as squirrley as I want to be. I try to stay in the worn parts of the road and stay out of the marbles. Still, it is nice to have the fresh breeze to and from work.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Here I am in North Dakota near the South Dakota border. I went to SD to the small town of McGlothlen. They have a small atv shop there and I needed some sparkplugs and a plug wire head that would hold onto the plug as the one on my 1500 kawasaki kept coming off. Nice that it has 4 plugs for a two cylinder.

Got to talking about the TW and the owner said he has had a lot of interest in them but can't get any. Seems they are hard to find here. Had a lot of comments about mine as I ride it to work each day. Is a ten mile one way on gravel. That shinko my friends is about as squirrley as I want to be. I try to stay in the worn parts of the road and stay out of the marbles. Still, it is nice to have the fresh breeze to and from work.
Which Shinko are we talking about plumb?

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,921 Posts
Hi Plumb! How much air are you running in the tire? I'm sure if you lowered it way down it would handle better.

I hate that riding on marbles feeling....:D

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Ya Know, Feeling like you are riding on marbles is way better than falling when you are on marbles. I have had lots of miles on the stock tire that wants to toss me to the ground off road but it is fine on pavement. The Shinko does feel a bit squirmy on the pavement and in some off road conditions but it stays true on track and keeps the rubber side down when I get off the roads. Tires and particularly the front one are a very personal choice and what feels good verses what performs well in the riding you do is something you have to figure out for yourself. I will be scrapping the stock front tire soon and replacing it with a Golden Boy 5.10. I will deal with some squirm on pavement just to keep the TW upright off the road. My bet is that as the Shinko wears down a bit it will feel much better on the road after it looses some of the deep but very soft lugs that give me the confidence in the dirt. Just because some member loves a particular tire is not a good reason to go with that one. You must find one that you like.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Just because some member loves a particular tire is not a good reason to go with that one. You must find one that you like.

GaryL

This is the best advice of all. A person will not know for themselves if they don't experiment.

I think all we can do is present the options with some of our experience with a particular tire, but in the end, the rider must decide what works for them. And they shouldn't go blaming someone else for bad advice because we each "feel" something different.

Example, TWilight dislikes the Shinko 244 5.10. I happen to like it. I'm sure each of us feels something different due to our riding styles. Earlier this summer I replaced by 244 5.10 with a 244 4.60. For me, the front end does feel lighter with the 4.60 (others have mentioned this), but it also doesn't feel as stable on gravel or sand as much as the 5.10 did...for me. I've never felt uncomfortable with either 5.10 or 4.60 on the pavement, but others do report this. Again different opinions.

Few weeks ago I switched back to the stock tire. So many of us (including me) have said we hate it and it sucks. It had been a long time, so I decided to re-visit the issue. My impressions now are it's fine off road. Matter of fact, it does better in the sand than either Golden Boy. On the pavement, it's just fine too except...I rode on some grooved cement road surface. I was wobbling all over the place and felt very uncomfortable. Normal asphalt or concrete surface is just fine.

The main reason I have an improved view of the stock tire, I'm a better rider than I was years ago. Blaming the tire is not always the right answer. This is why we must individually try a tire to see if we like it.

Guidance is good, but we must decide for ourselves.

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Good to hear from you Randall, take it easy on those marbles. Can't imagine what tire works very well in those situations.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It could not be put any better than the Admiral has put it. We all look for something a little different depending upon our individual riding differences. I changed the front tires on my two TW's from the originals to the Shinko 244's in the 4.60's and really can't tell much difference in my style of riding.
Mel

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are the stock tires noisy on blacktop when they are new, or do they get noisier as they age? My 06 TW has the original tires, and the front one is noisy enough on black top to become annoying.

·
Super Moderator
17,921 Posts
Are the stock tires noisy on blacktop when they are new, or do they get noisier as they age? My 06 TW has the original tires, and the front one is noisy enough on black top to become annoying.
They do get noisier as they age and harden.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts