TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been T-dubbing it for a little over a year now, and the day-tripping I've been doing just isn't scratching my itch like it used to.

Inspired by the awesome multi-day ride reports other users keep posting, my (forgone early) years of backpacking and bicycle touring, and the call of the wild that my skid plate keeps echoing up directly into my brain, I've decided to take my TW on a 3 night riding/fishing/camping trip up to cooler climes.

I'm no newcomer to the basics of spending a few nights in a tent, although I admit it's been awhile, but I'm mostly wondering if there's any special pointers for MC camping that I might be unaware of.

I'm 2 weeks and 150 miles into a fresh oil change, O-ring chain, and sprockets. I did those a little in advance so I'd have a chance to settle 'em in and spot any problems.

Thanks to Tinman Tim, Rubbermaid, Ace Hardware, and the military surplus store I have some pretty decent cargo capacity now too.

IMG_0213_zpsa2f276a5.jpg

Of course there's room in there for some tools and chain lube that I wouldn't need as a backpacker, but I can't shake the feeling that I might be missing something.

Any and all tips from seasoned TW campers appreciated!

Registered
Take everything you think you'll need. That way, if you do actually need it, you got it. When you get back, figure out what you didn't need, and don't take it next time. Point is, its a personal thing. With that amount of realestate, the property taxes are gonna be your biggest concern. Campsite pictures please. If the Rubbermaid comes off easy, that's your kitchen table. And the ammo cans will make for nice chairs, as I know they come off quick. If your stove is capable of burning gasoline, bleed it off the bike. No need to take special fuel that way. Tent size should be determined by the poles. Bigger is better. Self inflating sleeping pad. A good nights sleep after a day of riding is priceless.
Soft items like clothing and sleepingbag should be in compression bags if possible. A contractor bag or two, can be a poncho, ground cloth, tarp, or windbreak.
Tools are what ever you think you'll need. As you probably won't need to change the base gasket, don't go crazy here. Tire punctures, chain lube/adjustment, oil. JB Weld, zip-ties, duct tape, 5ft of 14ga wire.

Registered
I found staging the sleeping bag and mattress in front of my top container (and immediately behind my back), I gained room and a back rest. I also find it easy to store stuff under the WallyWorld seat pad (small pad for seat, maps, that other flat stuff than in fact can level out the seat profile. Don't use zip or wire ties for long term attachments, they degrade, wear, and release too frequently when you least expect them to. Enjoy the pine trees and hope for minimized fire threat. Tom

Registered
Camping off the motorbike reminds me most strongly of long distance bicycle touring, which I did a great deal of in past years. The bike can carry a lot more and I don't expend much effort;) One of the items I recently discovered is a Sawyer Squeeze Filter for filtering water- at Wallyworld for $30. Recent trips I've been wanting 1 gallon of water per overnight per person. Depends somewhat on how much coffee you like in the morning and how hot the day gets. The filter is amazingly light, small, compact, appears to be in worldwide distribution to countries where water quality is very poor. Now all I carry is the filter & it's bag plus a hydration bag of 3 liters. Have fun; I'm writing this as the bike is loaded for a quick overnight of about 250 miles RT.

-- Roy

Registered
Sounds to me like you have plenty of experience to make informed decisions on what to take and do, and you've received some good advice. My advice is to just get out there, and have fun. With that said, I'll share a few thoughts in case they might be helpful.

Like you, I have some backpacking experience. I soon learned that the more you take, the less fun backpacking was, and that you really can do without a lot of stuff. I believe that also applies to motorcycle camping, but although I packed lighter this year than last, I'm not there yet. On the other hand, since we're not carrying everything on our back we can afford a few luxuries.

They make lighter and more compact tents nowadays, but I like my old Kelty two-man tent. There's enough room for me to sleep, and also stow my gear inside. There's also enough room for me to situp and move around in case I had to to wait out a storm inside the tent. I second the idea of using compression sacks, and a large trash bag can come in handy.

I know that some people like to eat well while camping, and there's a ton of internet resources with tips on how to do so. But, I'm kind of a minimalist as far as food is concerned. I know that I'll be hitting civilization at least once a day for gas, and take the opportunity then to have a good meal. Otherwise, I take some jerky and trail mix to munch on during the day. To minimize cleanup my cooking is pretty much limited to boiling water, nowadays. Mountain House meals are good, but pricy. My son has a dehydrator, and learned on the internet how to make his own dehydrated meals - they're pretty good. My son also made me a little alcohol stove from a pop can. Lots of YouTube videos on how to do this. Heet, stuff used to remove water from your gas tank, is used to power these stoves and is available almost anywhere at low cost.

Take plenty of water. Backpacking water filters are now available that do a good job. You'll also need a first aid kit for yourself and your bike. As Tim mentioned JB Weld, a little duct tape, some wire could come in handy. Of course, you'll need tools and spares for the bike.

Well, I could go on, but you probably already knew everything I've shared. Just go and have fun. A lot of it is attitude. Go prepared, but don't sweat the small stuff. Some people get all upset when they find they've forgotten something they thought they needed. Others just improvise and go on. It's not really an adventure unless you have to face something unforeseen. The Mule's account of his trip to Alaska is a pretty good read. My favorite part is when the nut came off the valve lash adjuster he couldn't fish it out, so just turned the bike upside down and it came right out!

Have fun. Please take pictures and share your experience with us!

Registered
A generic soft backpack makes a great tank bag.
A pair of other soft bags draped over the tank provide additional carrying capacity without overloading the rear rack.

Registered
I've done a lot of rallies and camping with my other bikes. best gear I ever got was a dry bag, the kind used for white water rafting. I'd keep my sleeping bag, therma rest and tent body in there. the rain fly didn't matter much if it got wet. Since you have a rack you could tie the bag on the seat behind you. I never really had to carry cooking gear, but I started bringing some basics. I just got a set of ATV tank bags, will try those out on the gas tank. just don't overload your storage box, balance the weight out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts