TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The carb on my 2009 TW200 leaks when you shut it off and the petcock is on. I’m going to take it apart, clean and replace anything that is worn. I know there is a mod with an adjustment screw that is blocked off with a cap. Are there any other suggestions for mods or improvements while I have the carb off?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,527 Posts
If the carb leaks gas when sitting, you need to adjust the float.
Or your needle valve seat o-ring has deteriorated. This happened on my 2006. When it got worse it would flood out and stall the engine even when I was riding down the trail.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
If you’ve never had the carb apart, use a good screwdriver (preferably JIS) on the float bowl fasteners and use caution not to round em.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just rebuilt my '93 carb and tried the needle shim mod with two shims. Didn't like how it ran at my altitude. Went back to stock and now it purrs again. I'm at about 5k riding up to 9k. Too rich.

I bought an allballsracing.com kit and it came with a really cool air mixture screw with an extension knob (the thing under the cap that gets replaced). It works well. Some other parts of the kit are crap. Mixed results on the purchase.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
why rebuild the carb? there was mention of a Taiwanese carb that swaps right on - new and cheap. I believe from ebay ? or Amazon?. I will have to look for it and order for future use while one can still get stuff from FE

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have people had good luck with the aftermarket carbs? I bought one for my snowblower with Tecumseh engine and it worked great! Even came with fuel line and fuel filter for around $15. !

·
Registered
93 Posts
A previous owner swapped out an original '93 carb with an aftermarket eBay special (newer style carb) and it works great on the older style bike. The only caveat is that the throttle cables have to route to the right side of the new carb. This makes them tight since they were designed to go on the left side of the old carbs. Sometimes the throttle sticks and revs the engines when it shouldn't. Not sure what the proper fix for this would be but it's not a show stopper. Just annoying.

·
Registered
93 Posts
why rebuild the carb? there was mention of a Taiwanese carb that swaps right on - new and cheap. I believe from ebay ? or Amazon?. I will have to look for it and order for future use while one can still get stuff from FE
I'm new to carbs and today I rebuilt my second carb. It's not that hard, plus it familiarizes you with all the adjustments that can be made. Some are kind of important to make so the bike runs at its best under different environmental conditions. I've found it worth doing and it's not that expensive. There are lots of good threads on the forum about how to do it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also, eBay carbs often need some adjustment even when they come straight from the factory. Don't think that a new carb will help you avoid learning about them. In my case, a new eBay special wouldn't start properly in cold weather until I adjusted the pilot screw 2 1/2 turns out.

Sam

·
Registered
48 Posts
glowspud - maybe you can provide the item number or specific details to order the proper replacement carburetor. A small adjustment of a new one is certainly not as involved as rebuilt.

·
Registered
93 Posts
glowspud - maybe you can provide the item number or specific details to order the proper replacement carburetor. A small adjustment of a new one is certainly not as involved as rebuilt.
I have no idea. The eBay special was stuck on my bike just before I bought it from a previous owner. Sorry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a Radracing carb that seems to have good reviews. Around $40. Anyone use one of them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts