TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October 30 was my birthday . I went for a little ride on the twisy roads neer my house. The weather was great the sun was shining . I was really enjoying myself . I stoped for gas at a small town 6 miles from home. While there called my girlfriend and told he I was heading home and would be there in 10 minutes so we could go get a cake as my grandchildren were coming over later to celabrate my birthday. Heading home on a tar and chip road about 50 mph 2 dogs came out of the ditch in front of a farmhouse . I swerved and slowed to miss the first one and the second dog was in my path so I swerved the opisite direction to clear the 2nd dog. The front washed out and down I went. I hit the pavement hard at about 45 mph ! I slid to a stop and was laying in the center of the road . The TW was 5 yards in front of me also in the road. I was worried about being ran over by other traffic and rolled off the road into the ditch . The farmers wife came and got the dogs and called 911 the farmer came to help me in the ditch . My right arm was S shaped so I knew it was broken . My left arm didnt work at all and my whole torso was on fire with pain. I had the farmer get my cell phone and call my girl and my son . At the hospital I passed out and didnt awake untill november 16. Total damage 5 broken ribs colapsed lung left sholder broken right rist broken , had surgery on right rist and will need surgery on my sholder after first of the year . My helmet saved my life as it is beat up bad and my gloves and jacket kept most of the road rash off (1 small patch on left elbow and left knee) . Looks like I wont be riding much this winter. The bike has a broken mirror skinned up handguards and headlight plastics and a rear turnsignal . The army surplus paneers and the cyclerack saved everything else . I am home after 21 days in the hospital but still am hurting. After over 30 years of rideing 2 dogs brought me down . Enjoy the ride but dress for the crash . I will most likely spend some time enjoying this forum while healing this winter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
wow - so glad to hear you're ok. reading that story gave me the chills. I wish you could talk to my brother about the helmet saving your life. He wears a skid lid and rides a Harley.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It happens so fast and you never see it coming. The fact that you are writing this account at least speaks to us that your brain is working and you're on the mend. I had a really minor crash on a gravel road at maybe 20-25 and know the pain of that... I can hardly imagine the trauma you've dealt with.

Very glad to hear you had your helmet on... It's likely that's why you're telling us your tale. I hope other might learn from this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's another +1 on having the helmet on when you needed it, along with the other gear that saved your skin if not the bones. Congrats on making it home (eventually) to tell the tale. Heal fast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow! Sorry to learn of your accident! On your birthday .. gee! Over two weeks (I assume) in a coma? I'm glad you bounced back as well as you have! Speedy recovery!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wow! What Bday present.

A friend of mine son was riding his atv back home after checking his cattle. A dog ran out in front of him. He and the dog both lost their life. So yo are a very lucky one. The guy was not wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Take care, get well and spend some time thinking of all the fun thinks you have yet to do......... Gerry

·
Registered
108 Posts
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. You and your family have a lot to be thankful for. Some people make fun of me because I dress ATGATT. All The Gear All The Time. Capt D.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Do you think having quality riding gear with all the pads, elbows, shoulders, knees, hip and back, plus tall motorcycle boots would have saved you from some of the injuries? I will only ride with ATGATT. I've seen race riders get off at well over 100 mph and walk away because of the gear they wear. Glad you are ok, next time hit the dog and save yourself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think having quality riding gear with all the pads, elbows, shoulders, knees, hip and back, plus tall motorcycle boots would have saved you from some of the injuries? I will only ride with ATGATT. I've seen race riders get off at well over 100 mph and walk away because of the gear they wear. Glad you are ok, next time hit the dog and save yourself.

Yes better more padded gear may have helped . Hitting the dogs would have been a sure crash , my attempt was to save both the dogs and myself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am glad you are on the mend. I lost my brother August 6 in a minor bike accident. He was wearing a full face helmet and he still died from head trama. This was a single bike accident and the bike had less than 1000.00 in damage. Mike did not have a scratch on him. He was 54. RIP Bro Strange little accidents can happen at any time so you have to be ready.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Don't hit dogs. Ride over them. Slow down as much as possible, downshift while slowing, then just before contact, dump the clutch, full throttle, and yank hard on the barts. The bike will stand straight up and roll over a good sized dog no problem. I've seen a guy on a Harley dresser ride over a deer using the same technique. I've ridden over a new Beetle using this technique--the driver swung way left into my lane going the wrong way and stopped, and I had nowhere to go. I slowed from 6mph to about 20mph and 2nd gear before contact. Never swerve suddenly to miss a small critter on a gravel road. Treat the critter like any other obstacle and ride over it, not into it.

Heal well and fast and lawyer up, the dogs caused the wreck and in most states the dog owners are liable.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
WOW...I am glad to hear you are okay. What a bummer birthday celebration.

Last year, a week after turned 40, I slipped on a plastic tile and did a horizontal fall...10 stitches on the side of my left eye, broken left hand and bruised left hip...

Never know what is coming. Good luck with the recovery.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Best wishes for your recovery. Wandering dogs are so dangerous, there are always several near my country house, have to remember to ride even slower than I would do anyway.

I just don't understand what's in the head of their owners, to leave dogs wander around like that, causing accidents. One of my neighbors says her dog "has the right to have his own life", what a load of BS.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Glad it is all going to work out OK. Any pictures of the damage?

·
Registered
13,917 Posts
Get well soon Casper!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Best wishes for your recovery. Wandering dogs are so dangerous, there are always several near my country house, have to remember to ride even slower than I would do anyway.

I just don't understand what's in the head of their owners, to leave dogs wander around like that, causing accidents. One of my neighbors says her dog "has the right to have his own life", what a load of BS.

Looking foward to pictures and story on "Barbera" also its snowing here in Southern Ohio and the bikes in the garage, sure could use a good story on your new bike. CMS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't hit dogs. Ride over them. Slow down as much as possible, downshift while slowing, then just before contact, dump the clutch, full throttle, and yank hard on the barts. The bike will stand straight up and roll over a good sized dog no problem....... Never swerve suddenly to miss a small critter on a gravel road. Treat the critter like any other obstacle and ride over it, not into it.

+1

Had a dog jump in front of me at night in traffic when I first started riding... Nowhere to go but over, so I got off the throttle for a second then powered over it.

Get well and don't be afraid to get back up on the Mule...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts