TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least a couple years ago I picked up this:

A 1991 TW200. Paid $500 I think. Guy said he and his friend rebuilt the motor, started it, drove it around for a minute and it stalled. He claimed to not have touched it since.

Didn’t seem quite right. In particular because of the following:

Those missing bolts are probably important… and the space in the cylinder probably hinders the whole compression thing.

Nevertheless, seeing as how I had already come down with the same mental illness we all have, I justified the price as the bike was all there and in reasonable shape – figured it was worth it for the parts.

And so it has sat for the last couple years – occasionally being moved from one spot in the shed to another.

This winter the resurrection started. The plan:

Basically, a full rebuild on a budget for the dirt. My current living arrangement means I’m storing my bikes (yeah, there’s 4 of them…) at my brothers. I’ve disassembled pieces on the weekends and cleaned/restored them during the week.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Plastics were in good shape but being white, were tired looking, and showed outlines of old stickers. Not sure if this was the best approach, but I wetsanded the plastics to a nice white new look.

Before

During

After

Before

During (front tip & side not finished)

After

Before

After

All other pieces received their due cleaning. Planned to take before and after pics of all pieces but that didn’t last. Many will be repainted before they go back on.

How it looks at the moment:

Motor needs to come out and I plan to rebuild it (assuming I can). Never have rebuilt a motor before but the way I see it, I’m of reasonable intelligence, so with the forum's help, a manual, and an internet connection at hand, I just may be able to make it happen. If something is wrecked, I have access to additional parts bikes (Picked up 2 complete TW's for $300 in the fall - rough shape).

My original thought was to go ahead and order a full gasket kit before I dig into it. The idea being that I wouldn’t need to wait on parts later. But now I’m thinking I should disassemble, maybe just partially, to see where it’s at.

It’s taken me all winter to get to this point (work, the kind that pays, is pretty well all consuming). So it’s hard to say how quickly the rest will progress but I would like to think I could get it on the road this Spring. I'm hoping this post may be the needed encouragement.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You have the right attitude! One of the great things about these bikes is their simplicity, and as you pointed out there are plenty of resources on this forum to help you out if you should need it. The work so far looks great. I'm looking forward to hearing of your progress with the engine.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Wow! Wet sanding really revived those plastics!!

I'm putting together a new top end for my TW right now, my first motorcycle top end rebuild. Luckily I have help from someone who's done it many times, Mr.ProCycle.... If it turns out well, I'll add a kit of all the parts I used to the ProCycle TW website. Hopefully your bike only needs top end work too!

Thanks for posting all your work so far, keep it up, it's looking great!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mrbracket, I like the sounds of that. Procycle is where I was headed when I decide what I need to order.

As for the plastics. It did work really well for me, but I'm wondering how it would look on coloured plastics. Might result in more of a faded final product that isn't seen with the white.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Now that you have all the plastics wetsanded, if you want to bring the shine back, you can hit them with a heatgun and basically melt the top layer of plastic. I've done it before, it works wonders. You just have to be careful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally, I'm not into having plastics on my TW's because I'm going for the custom look, but that matte white looks fantastic!

I've never really gotten to dig in the being a mechanic in my past so I'm going to just start now. I really like you attitude about just diving into the engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got a chance to tear into motor. Didn't have high expectations. Wasn't even sure if I would find a piston.

DIRTY!!

As it stands now:

Now I need some advice.

I think everything looks pretty good. Bottom end seems (my opinion - no experience) to be in good shape.

What do I need to replace in rebuilding this motor? What SHOULD I replace while I'm at this stage? My thoughts are piston rings & gaskets.

Anything I should be checking specifically? Any seals that should be replaced? What about swingarm bearings?

My plan is to rebuild motor, repaint frame, and start putting it all back together. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Weather is getting nice out...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered full engine gasket kit and full set of bearings for the bike. Guys at Procycle are great to deal with.

In the meantime, I guess I'll paint a few more items.

Gas Tank Before:

Gas Tank Prepped:

Gas Tank Fresh Paint:

Gas Tank After (matte white).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seat is up next (taken from a parts bike). Cover was in great shape so I thought I'd try out Duplicolor's Vinyl paint.

Seat bottom before (forgot to take the picture before I fully started). Just painted the edge of the seat cover to start.

Then went over seat bottom with Fushion plastic paint.

Probably could have used the Vinyl paint for this as well, but I didn't.

Top of seat (great shape - just red isn't really going to work with the whole black and white theme).

You can see bottom edge has already been sprayed.

After - turned out pretty good (so far).

May go back over the seat with another coat later.

Still a few more parts to paint but once bearings come in from Procycle, bike will start to go back together.

Any suggestions anyone has are welcome. I'm just figuring it out as I go.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Depending on how many miles are on the engine it probably wouldn't hurt to install a new timing chain and lap the valves.I got an aftermarket chain made by DID (cheaper than OEM) for 20 bucks from my local dealer.

Where did you get the vinyl paint? The seat looks great and I have a blue one that I want black also.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did you get the vinyl paint? The seat looks great and I have a blue one that I want black also.

Great tip on the timing chain - will definitely check on that.

The seat paint I got from CanadianTire. It's by Duplicolor and is called 'vinyl paint'.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoBodyRepair1/AutoBodyPaintProtectants/PRD~0473603P/Dupli-color+High+Performance+Vinyl+and+Fabrick+Paint,+Burgundy.jsp?locale=en

or

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Good job on both the gas tank and seat. I painted my frame a couple years ago, but I did a bad job and need to redo it this upcoming winter. I should have painted it black instead of a light color.

I used a vinyl paint on the small area of my seat up near the tank where my legs are at while riding. Most of my seat was black except for this small gray/silver area on each side of the seat. Been over a year and it's held up fairly well and don't see any wear. If I did, I'd just touch it up with some more vinyl paint. Of course now I ride with one of those Colmen seat pads which should eleminate most of the wear to the painted area as it's now mostly covered.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Vinyl paint. I picked up a can today and refinished my seat. It looks great and 4 hrs later I took it for a ride.That stuff is amazing.

Admiral when you redo your frame you might consider using "bedliner". I love the stuff and used it on the 02 rebuild I recently finished.The stuff is like textured powder coating in a can. Tough,durable and easily touched up.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I personally think for a dirt build you should get a procycle fender and fender mount. Just my opinion, can't wait to see the build continue

1 - 20 of 41 Posts