TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been a motorcycle nut since I was 10 and got my first Honda CT70, then I got another and another and when I was 12 I had three of them in our garage. Two were autos and one 4 speed. So now im a lot older and have always wanted a TW. Everytime I saw one I was intrigued with that big back tire on such a small bike. Anyway, got my first one, a 87, last year for 300 off Craigslist. It didnt run and I had to pay 240 for CDI to get it running. Ive since put a new seatcover, sandblasted and painted some parts, found a near mint rear wheel for it on ebay because mine had rusty nipples, lol.... Now it looks pretty good. Last monthI was selling a car of mine and a guy looked at it.. He saw my TW and said I have one of those with 1200 miles on it. He bought my car and part of the deal was his 97 TW. Then, I ran across the 89 black last week on Craigslist where the guy wanted 3400 for it. I bought it for way way less than that. Although I must say that the condition the 89 is in it might bring 2500 plus for someone wanting a mint black bike. So now I have three of them, just like my Trail 70s when I was a kid . But back than and I had to talk/coerce/whine to my dad to buy them for me. So after looking at all these TW's in the last year I was trying to figure which set of colors and graphics looks best. To me, the 88, 89 black /red is like no other in visual appeal. I dont believe Yamaha has made a black tank bike since 89. The 2006 with silver,blue and black would be my next favorite. Yamaha has made some hideous ones too, i.e, the light blue ones. I guess when you make essentially the same exact bike for 25 years you've gotta change something on it. So what year combo do you think is the best looking.?

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Black Widow colors have always been my favorite color scheme. That's why I painted mine black and sand. Oops!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think black and red is the coolest! The 87 I'm working on has the same color scheme, but has seen better days

What differences are you noticing between the years?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I was looking for a Tw for about 6 months before I came across a low miles (1600) '89 on a motorcycle shop lot. I payed more then I wanted to but love that black widow look. The other colors I like are the 06? blue and the 05 silver/black is cool.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If you ever want to look at the color schemes through the years (as well as some custome colors folks have done) it's hard to beat this website - BikePics

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm kinda biased to that paint scheme
For the lif of me I don't understand why all the little flowers in the red part of the stripe...looks kinda hippy though
I believe those are gears not flowers

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think its funny myself. All the years of TW's and only 2 (black widow and 06') stand out as purdy. Its like the different color paint would rob horsepower or something.

I would love a factory rino-lined scheme. Cake it with mud and wash it right off. I have that now, but a solid hit from a stick or a saddle bag rubbing it wrong can take it right off. Make the finish as tough as the bike!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts