TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I think I will take the plunge, I am going to install a kick start on my 2014.....the only parts I need are the kit 3RW-W0795-00-00 and the crank boss 54G-15621-00-00 ...is that correct?.....is it that difficult to install? or can a back yard hack stumble his way through?

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
I didn't check to see if those numbers are correct, but if you mean the XT/TTR225 kickstarter kit and the TW200 crank boss, then yes that is what you need.

It is not difficult to install. Hardest part will likely be removing the old gasket from the side cover. You also have be careful removing the inner clutch basket. There are several ways to do this (but using a screwdriver to hold the basket in place isn't one of them!).

Here is a good tutorial that WhereTheHellIsJames? prepared (except that it is not necessary to remove your starter).

Expedition Bike? Not really, it's just WTHIJ's TW200. - Page 2 - Expedition Portal

If you get stuck or have a question, just ask.

Brian

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great idea to do this right away - you should have no trouble at all removing gasket andmay be able to reuse it. It's a super simple mod and an enjoyable one too. You'll love it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Get a set of heavy clutch springs while your at it . beats taking it apart later . $10 bucks on ebay or elsewhere and be there in two days . And it will be slipping sooner or later , or might not if you get the springs . I am not hot on shimming but others have done it.
Under technical help look for the installing kickstarter and clutch stuff . the clutch spring issue will come up in one or the other As a matter of fact some are at the bottom of the page .
Don't forget the grove at the bottom of the main case for the gear spring and the recess in the idler gear to the inside and might double check the seal install . Has fooled more than one.
You can see the grove in the case below the kick shaft bearing ( where the shaft goes on the inside} and as you install the shaft you can see the spring going into the grove as you slide the shaft into the crankcase .. Put the idler gear on after the kickshaft is in place.. Remember the seal installs on the outside of the outer case

so I think I will take the plunge, I am going to install a kick start on my 2014.....the only parts I need are the kit 3RW-W0795-00-00 and the crank boss 54G-15621-00-00 ...is that correct?.....is it that difficult to install? or can a back yard hack stumble his way through?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Call Bay Area Yamaha ( 1-888-660-7766 ,their in Washington state if I remember correctly )....about $ 200.00 shipped , they will have the actual kit from Japan that will fit exactly...no messing around "finding " parts !.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Call Bay Area Yamaha ( 1-888-660-7766 ,their in Washington state if I remember correctly )....about $ 200.00 shipped , they will have the actual kit from Japan that will fit exactly...no messing around "finding " parts !.
This!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Does Bay Area yamaha still carries this kit? I noticed some posts from 2011. Will the same kit fit the 2002 bike as well as 2014? I want to do this mod before I get back in the boonies loaded with gear. The kickstarter is cheap insurance in my opinion.

Are clutch springs? I'm not against changing them while we have bikes apart, just would like to get some other opinions. Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
This is where I got mine. Came with directions, pictures, and service manual on cd.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are clutch springs? I'm not against changing them while we have bikes apart, just would like to get some other opinions. Any advice is welcome.[/QUOTE]

Mine made a big difference as others have said too .. Stock clutch pull is too light . Some guys shim the springs but new aftermarket ones are $15 bucks a set. Boonies are no place for a slipping clutch. . want another opinion? Read this again :cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are clutch springs? I'm not against changing them while we have bikes apart, just would like to get some other opinions. Any advice is welcome.

Mine made a big difference as others have said too .. Stock clutch pull is too light . Some guys shim the springs but new aftermarket ones are $15 bucks a set. Boonies are no place for a slipping clutch. . want another opinion? Read this again :cool:[/QUOTE]

Now that is the kind of "No Bullshit" opinion I want to hear! Thanks green, had a good laugh! :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tell me ...if I change the clutch springs ..what adjustment do you have to make to the clutch to set it up again? do you have to align the index mark on the lever and the case? ...or is it just plug and play so to speak...what part # and make are the best replacements?..thanks for the help guys:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Now that is the kind of "No Bullshit" opinion I want to hear! Thanks green, had a good laugh!

Sarcasm is just one more of the many services we offer. :friendly_wink:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nope you just torque the four clutch bolts down to their stops .
Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS . Took me awhile to get used to this Forum . I was not used to a well set up website . Now I wonder why they are not all like this one . I salute the webmaster:thumbsup:

tell me ...if I change the clutch springs ..what adjustment do you have to make to the clutch to set it up again? do you have to align the index mark on the lever and the case? ...or is it just plug and play so to speak...what part # and make are the best replacements?..thanks for the help guys:)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yer rite greenbomb. This forum rocks! I search the archives all the time. They are the BEST. I just noticed the "Similar threads" links at the bottom, too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
One of the super seniors pointed it out to me > Who looks at the bottom of a page / ME NOW

Yer rite greenbomb. This forum rocks! I search the archives all the time. They are the BEST. I just noticed the "Similar threads" links at the bottom, too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts