TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 was a banner year for the demise of TW kick starter parts when Yamaha stopped producing the legendary XT225 kick starter packages and today I got news from a major Yamaha parts supplier that Yamaha has discontinued the TW200 kick lever as well as the few remaining XT225 kick levers that were hidden under an old model bike but still fit the XT

There are still some misc kicker pieces still available but it's now been 19 years since any TW came with a kick starter and 12 years since any XT so I guess we were lucky to have what we already had

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am super excited you already shipped my kit out! It's hard to believe they manufacture these bikes without a kicker. Even harder to believe they are stopping production of an add-on kit. Some inventive machinist can corner the market!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wish I could say I had a stash but I'm down to one TW and one XT and thats it

I have a bag of the old TW kick crank boss lower splined portions and I figured out a way to attach ZS top kick levers to those in a clean way so thats maybe 20 more and then it's going to be scrounging used levers or seeking out the few dealers have in stock here and there

XT225 kickers are history and even the parts bikes are from the early to mid eighties 125's etc are almost non existent

Anybody who bought was smart even though they weren't cheap

I say save your old case plugs so when you sell your TW take the kicker set off and save it !!!

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
This just changed the resale values of TWs either with, or without kickstarters. Should now be recognised as at least a $250 to $300 difference.

I was just reviewing an old video I shot on a TW group ride into the Rubicon. This was a somewhat remote if not iconic bouldery location where retrieving a broken bike is more than an Uber call away.
Forum member Evan had stalled his TW in a lumpy zone and the electric starter absolutely would not get his hot bike running again. Once battery tarted failing he decided to give it one good kick. VROOM!
Priceless kickstarter since we all kept riding rather than turning a group adventure into a problem bike recovery day.

·
Registered
231 Posts
How long do you think it will take before you start seeing 1987 to 2000 TW’s showing up on Craigslist missing the kickstarter?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
my dad's 2006 i just sold had a kicker...

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
score brian!

did you get that boat anchor from your ad?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
you dredge up the best stuff.

and even a 1/2 breed, '87 blue on red.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts