TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was bored one day reading reviews about other bikes (shhhh never tell my tw), motivated by wanting about an extra 2 or 3 foot pounds of torxies, and came across a glowing review from a reputable motorcycle magazine about a Chinese 250cc liquid cooled bike called rx3 from csc motorcycles. The bike costs about $3500 and seems pretty capable (It is possible that glowing reviews from reputable motor cycle magazines can, like anything else, be had for the right price). But that's not my point, my point is they have this other bike that looks to me to be a knock off of the tw200, only with about 3 extra foot pounds of torque bigger tank, rear disk brakes about 225 cc and I think it's $1800 new? Wtf! And the specs and design are very close to tw. Where can I learn mandarin lol

TT250 - CSC Motorcycles - Bikes

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Sounds healthy. And for $1800 how can you go wrong?

Wait for some used ones to come on the market. They will probably be really cheap.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
A couple members have bought bikes from CSC and so far have been impressed by them. Maybe they will chime in and give a few comments. Apparently, China has come a long way with quality control and these bikes are a pretty good deal for what folks pay for them. Dependability seems to be way up from what they used to sell.

Was bored one day reading reviews about other bikes (shhhh never tell my tw), motivated by wanting about an extra 2 or 3 foot pounds of torxies, and came across a glowing review from a reputable motorcycle magazine about a Chinese 250cc liquid cooled bike called rx3 from csc motorcycles. The bike costs about $3500 and seems pretty capable (It is possible that glowing reviews from reputable motor cycle magazines can, like anything else, be had for the right price). But that's not my point, my point is they have this other bike that looks to me to be a knock off of the tw200, only with about 3 extra foot pounds of torque bigger tank, rear disk brakes about 225 cc and I think it's $1800 new? Wtf! And the specs and design are very close to tw. Where can I learn mandarin lol

TT250 - CSC Motorcycles - Bikes

·
Registered
319 Posts
When I saw those bikes I watched the video, bought their 5,000 miles at 8,000 rpm book and even called the owner and came so close to giving him my credit card
so I could own one.

Then.......I thought of my good friends at three dealerships who will not repair this bike and will not be all that happy that I spent a bit less and got so much less buying a "shipped to your door"
kind of bike.
Will this become the trend of the future? Sadly yes.

I'm not unhappy with China offering a good solid product, more power to them. I wish they would pay their people competitive wages and that the government would not supply all of the raw materials at cost which causes the over all profits to be greatly lower giving them a huge edge in competition over anything American.
I love the Chinese people and host many in my home. I want them to do well. However, I want us in this nation to do very well and make quality products that are not taking a dump 100 miles into being used on the streets as so many of their crappy scooters have done.

On and On I can go.

The TW is made perhaps with many countries and hands and nationalities (can I still say that?) but it has good quality controls from a very good company that makes awesome Saxophones, Piano's and low and behold crazy cool motorcycles. Do I trust Honda, Yamaha, even Suzuki and Kawasaki? You bet. Why? Because they have a name and take great pride and honor in that name.

Quality goes in before the names goes on. So, these CSC bikes need to prove themselves over 5 years. When they do, then we can talk. Until then I'm not sold.

We need to see years of service and proven reliability and parts availability before we can judge the company and product.

What I'm always worried about is more crap being dumped into landfills of parts and components that cannot be repaired. We have that epidemic now in America with cheap junk from other poor nations being sent here that kills U.S. jobs and manufacturing plants like mine and those much larger that I service. This is stupid. We've purchased items from Walmart that end up in landfills.

Why not buy quality and service it for decades instead of buying something cheap with no long term dealer network, parts or service and nothing you can sell or hand down to your children or beyond?

Tell me one of these will be sold at auction in 50 years for $20,000.00 due to their heritage and importance to our riding history and then I'll smile. I'll bet it won't happen.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Member Spud has over 70,000 miles on his. That says something. I thought about it too, but same as you, need more time to evaluate. Plus, I probably have the last two bikes I'll ever own. A Vee and a Trailway. Kinda the best of both worlds for an old geezer like me. :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Member Spud has over 70,000 miles on his. That says something. I thought about it too, but same as you, need more time to evaluate. Plus, I probably have the last two bikes I'll ever own. A Vee and a Trailway. Kinda the best of both worlds for an old geezer like me. :D
I'm just real loyal to my local dealers. All of them are owners who are my age, 55 and we just get along real well.

If I buy one of these it won't meet with their approval and I'm just too brand loyal I guess.

I have four dealers, HD, Kaw, Yamaha (also my Victory dealer and a BMW as well) and a Moto Guzzi which is my newest friend.

I'm just loyal. More than worried about saving a dime.

For that matter I don't want an adventure bike. The TW I own will not get dirty, I abhor dirt on my bikes. I hate riding on gravel and other than clean
sand and water passes on the TW I will not ride ATV's or dirt any longer unless my son gets back into it but he's 20 and in college of engineering
which keeps him so busy his new HD Softail Slim sits more than he rides it. In fact I ride it about as much. that means by the time he's ready to really
go dirt riding again I may not be included if you know what i mean? Friends his age.

The adventure bike with a 250cc is nice for some but not most. It's price is great for new riders providing you can wrench on it yourself and most cannot do that now.
Most younger riders have no clue what a wrench is. Failure to launch I guess.

·
Registered
319 Posts
littletommy 70K on one of those screamers? Wow! At 8,000rpm's that's a screaming bike. I don't know.

I rode that new Victory Octane 1200 on Saturday. Crazy fast bike and stupid light weight. Priced at $10,500.00 it will eat Harley's on torque, HP and price too!

For me though I do not see the CSC bike as a knock off to a TW. Not at all. There is no comparison to a TW. NONE. That rear wheel and tire alone makes our TW so super
special there is nothing like it and perhaps never will be.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Yeah — we chewed this over a while back — basically resulting in a thread as long as a book

All the reviews were of low mileage bikes, and most of our questions were more of a “high mileage” nature — to wit — “would it get to that point”

Turns out that one of our members here — “Spud” — managed to get one to 70k on the clock ……. The engine kinda “spontaneously disassembled” at that point — when he rode it through a puddle (we didn’t like to ask).

Bottom line seems to be that the engines last longer miles wise than you’d think (provided you avoid puddles presumably). As to how long age wise — who knows —they haven’t been around long enough.

As for “Spud” — he’s put a Yamaha engine in there now (a direct fit funnily enough)

I understand that $1800 was the “introductory” price — so expect to pay another $500 on top of that. Or alternatively, wait a few years and pay $500 for the whole thing — as Cpit says — “you get what you pay for”.

In fairness, It will take another decade for this particular Chinese manufacturer to prove itself - until then, you have the option of a bike that will do 70k in two years for $2300 — that’s all we know aboit them for sure.

Things have come a long way since “Sinnis” first introduced the idea of a disposable bike, but it still involves buying into the idea that China is free to “clone” anything they can lay their hands on — and maybe they are (according to the Chinese courts), but it doesn’t “sit” well with some — (about as well as this post is going to sit with the other members on here who have bought one) — but hey, one man’s opinion — it’s your money and you can do what you want with it (invest in China if it floats your boat).

Personally, I tend to adhere to the principal surrounding “Concordski” — where “industrial espionage” resulted in the blue prints of Concord sort of “falling” into Russian hands.

Well — you didn’t think we were going to give then the blue prints to a plane that could actually fly — did you ? ……..

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I wish they would pay their people competitive wages .
China has a middle class that is larger than the population of the USA and it is growing. Top Gear did a special on cars in China as well as Chinese made cars and said a new car is sold in China every 5 seconds, or some number very close to that.

China backs its businesses and their economy and standard of living grows.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
A couple members have bought bikes from CSC and so far have been impressed by them. Maybe they will chime in and give a few comments. Apparently, China has come a long way with quality control and these bikes are a pretty good deal for what folks pay for them. Dependability seems to be way up from what they used to sell.
hmmm what was the old saying "jap crap" ? and then what happened to the english and american bike scene?
when i lived in korea, samsung was a joke and everyone wanted sony.... 20 yrs later and sony is nearly an afterthought.
china may not be "there" yet, but i wouldn't bet against them arriving at some point.

·
Registered
319 Posts
littletommy 70K on one of those screamers? Wow! At 8,000rpm's that's a screaming bike. I don't know.

I rode that new Victory Octane 1200 on Saturday. Crazy fast bike and stupid light weight. Priced at $10,500.00 it will eat Harley's on torque, HP and price too!

For me though I do not see the CSC bike as a knock off to a TW. Not at all. There is no comparison to a TW. NONE. That rear wheel and tire alone makes our TW so super

·
Registered
319 Posts
China has a middle class that is larger than the population of the USA and it is growing. Top Gear did a special on cars in China as well as Chinese made cars and said a new car is sold in China every 5 seconds, or some number very close to that.

China backs its businesses and their economy and standard of living grows.
China is Communist. That is plain and simple. The problem with this is that they do not build into every level profit.
So, when they dig copper it's Communist China owned mines.
Communist China owned equipment.
Communist China owned people.

So, when India wanted to supply chromed racks for Vetter motorcycle fairings back in the early 1980's they sent a man over to Illinois to "sell" them on buying from India
instead of Chicago based metals shop who had always made them and made them VERY WELL.

What did this Indian businessman have to offer? Free components for the first year. Free shipping, yep and perfect fit, great product and awesome Chrome.

How did he do that? Because the government of India was 100% bankrolling him until he could get on his feet.
There is more to this story and Vetter never made the switch but the truth here is that India, China and other countries have put out of business fine
people just like myself who supply components to OEM's.

Do you know what an OEM is?

Do you know what Union means?

How do any of us expect to live in America with our standard of living at typical cost of living without good paying jobs?

The answer is not just raising "minimum wage" as some idiots think. The answer is not losing your best industries to foreign (ooh there's a nasty word) countries who pay their people crap
per hour and make them perform horrible condition jobs while splitting up their families who have lived on farms in the rural county side for decades, list goes on and on.

We are insulated in America and quite arrogant here.
We think we know best and we know nothing.

I do think that the technology we have sold and given to the Chinese over the last 50 years or so will help them become a consumer nation and one day soon perhaps they
won't need us.

India looms on the horizon as well.

This is good and bad.

We are tiny by comparison with population but they still send their kids here for education and technology transfers.

We can't stop this. The cat is out of the bag. But we must acknowledge that if we ever go to war with China Katy bar the door, it won't be pretty
with much of our goods related coming from there. We will need to learn to build factories all over again and use the natural resources we have in abundance.

America is being boiled down and China and India are being pumped up and the hope is a global government that one days rules from the U.N. with no "nation state" getting in the way.

I hate that term "nation state".

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I also believe that “Top Gear” pointed out “knock offs” for just about every make, pointed out that the laws of copy-right were basically being run over rough shod by the Chinese courts, with the current Chinese governments subsidised cost of steel being the final in nail in “our” coffin. Only, last week it was actually India who killed the steel industry in Wales — probably frightened off by the subsidised Chinese steel.

Yeah — OK — “survival of the fittest” — but isn’t it nice when your government can fix an artificially low price to the point where everyone else on a world-wide basis is squeezed out of the market.

Then all you need is someone from your own country to promote what they produce — and hey presto — we’re all eating noodles ………

60’s British bikes leak oil, weigh a ton because they’re made out of pig iron, but at least they “handled”.

70’s Jap crap was exactly that at the time, rubber frames, and an engine that wouldn’t make it past 30k without a rebuild.

And American ? — you had two choices — either soft tune it last for a thousand miles before a rebuild, or hard tune it, and it might make it to the end of the block (it you didn’t thrash it).

Nowadays, although British bike don’t leak quite so much anymore, they’re still big heavy pigs — the Japanese seem to have largely lost the plot (with a few notable exceptions) — and America is still plugging “image” machines (if you don’t want to dress up like a pirate, you’ve had it).

The only constant in all of this is the Cossack Ural — it is what it is — and it suits the territory.

But none of those has the backing of “indirect government funding” — they win or fail by their own merit and by the cost of labour and raw materials - and that’s what’s happening here — you’re being shafted, and you’re still buying into the deal ……..

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Ahhh, but there is a bike similar, the Suzuki RV 125 VanVan.

Whatcha think?

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I did pay high dollars for my used Suzuki Vee Strom, but then again, I figure with 3,000 miles on it, it should last me the rest of my life. No complaints here. :D

For a 125cc street bike I'd rather give up on bikes and just settle for a van. I guess it is cooler then a moped though. But then again I think Suzuki tend to be overpriced.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts