TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put a different engine in a TW? BW350, Yamaha Warrior 350, DRZ400, Were some of my ideas. Is this possible?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Has anyone ever put a different engine in a TW? BW350, Yamaha Warrior 350, DRZ400, Were some of my ideas. Is this possible?
I was told the front sproket is offset to match the larger rear wheel and is hard to find an engine the same.A good place to look is the japan bikes .They are way ahead of us on this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you're saying the primary shaft is shorter on most engines? can it be extended? I want a "Trail Warrior" 350!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Get after it and share the results with lots of pics! Something with a small v-twin would be great.

heck yeah... I'd love to put a rebel 250 engine on the TW (it's actually 233 not 250) it's so much smoother and cooler sounding and lasts a lot longer, I've heard of it going over 100k whereas people say the TW only lasts 30-40k before you gotta rebuild.

Wish I knew how to do all the crazy cool swap stuff some people do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't remember anyone actually swapping an engine except the rare bird who owns a machine shop. The German member can set you up with a bigger piston and maybe a larger bore. Other than that, we are pretty much stuck with rejetting the carb, opening up the airbox, and sticking on an aftermarket muffler. The co-owner of my dealership showed me a picture of a prototype TW350 he tested a number of years ago. He said it was the perfect size engine for it. Never did make it to production. I am pretty sure we get the leftovers in the States anymore due to our nanny state govt. In Japan they have had the TW225 for a number of years but not a peep about them ever coming here. The same thing with the Land Rover Defender. the few that are here from the mid nineties fetch 40 to 60 grand. The cops use Defenders in England- I took a photo of a brand new silver one when I was on a visit. Land Rover says screw setting them up for the US- too many rules and regs.
So the moral of the story is buy a bigger bike if you want a bigger engine, or move to Japan.

Dave

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I can't remember anyone actually swapping an engine except the rare bird who owns a machine shop. The German member can set you up with a bigger piston and maybe a larger bore. Other than that, we are pretty much stuck with rejetting the carb, opening up the airbox, and sticking on an aftermarket muffler. The co-owner of my dealership showed me a picture of a prototype TW350 he tested a number of years ago. He said it was the perfect size engine for it. Never did make it to production. I am pretty sure we get the leftovers in the States anymore due to our nanny state govt. In Japan they have had the TW225 for a number of years but not a peep about them ever coming here. The same thing with the Land Rover Defender. the few that are here from the mid nineties fetch 40 to 60 grand. The cops use Defenders in England- I took a photo of a brand new silver one when I was on a visit. Land Rover says screw setting them up for the US- too many rules and regs.
So the moral of the story is buy a bigger bike if you want a bigger engine, or move to Japan.

Dave

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
It seemed to me, that you could pick a larger engine that would fit into a slightly modified TW frame then have a machinist fabricate a primary shaft extension. Then you, or a machinist/welder would have to fabricate a bearing carrier for the extended primary shaft.

I work for a company that has a number of machinists and real high-tech CNC stuff. I recently asked a question regarding a primary shaft extender. They suggested all the O.D. work would be very straight forward (getting splines for a sprocket). It seems getting the I.D. splines to slip over the stock primary shaft (on whatever engine) require a much more time consumeing process called broaching.

It seems there are companies that specialize in "Broaching". If I were allowed a guess, I think you could get a shaft extension for an appropriate 'donor' engine fabricated for $500.

In my opinion, here is the strange thing about the TW. It is a unique, but 'cheap' bike. Yet most of us want to save even more money by buying used. In my opinion, and I bought new; the TW presents not much more than a low seat height and a couple of fat tires that offer (generally) better traction and balance.

I am all in favor of mods, as I have done a few. When it comes to bigger engines, and better suspensions, I would be inclined to say, "buy a better/bigger bike".

Like the Honda CT 90/110 (I've had one of each), the TW is set for a niche market that has recently been very much expanded by the Internet, Chopper Charles and another fellow who's name escapes me right now ( I purchased my bike because of his endorsement}. Mod away and enjoy, but the TW is not a "silk purse", I would be inclined to say a "Sows ear". Gerry

·
Registered
279 Posts
It seemed to me, that you could pick a larger engine that would fit into a slightly modified TW frame then have a machinist fabricate a primary shaft extension. Then you, or a machinist/welder would have to fabricate a bearing carrier for the extended primary shaft.

I work for a company that has a number of machinists and real high-tech CNC stuff. I recently asked a question regarding a primary shaft extender. They suggested all the O.D. work would be very straight forward (getting splines for a sprocket). It seems getting the I.D. splines to slip over the stock primary shaft (on whatever engine) require a much more time consumeing process called broaching.

It seems there are companies that specialize in "Broaching". If I were allowed a guess, I think you could get a shaft extension for an appropriate 'donor' engine fabricated for $500.

In my opinion, here is the strange thing about the TW. It is a unique, but 'cheap' bike. Yet most of us want to save even more money by buying used. In my opinion, and I bought new; the TW presents not much more than a low seat height and a couple of fat tires that offer (generally) better traction and balance.

I am all in favor of mods, as I have done a few. When it comes to bigger engines, and better suspensions, I would be inclined to say, "buy a better/bigger bike".

Like the Honda CT 90/110 (I've had one of each), the TW is set for a niche market that has recently been very much expanded by the Internet, Chopper Charles and another fellow who's name escapes me right now ( I purchased my bike because of his endorsement}. Mod away and enjoy, but the TW is not a "silk purse", I would be inclined to say a "Sows ear". Gerry

·
Registered
279 Posts
Gerry-

Flyin Al's web site was the first "TW200" information I was exposed to even before Yamaha's "Official Site". I emailed him with a few other questions that he answered and I blame him for all the fun I've had the last six years with the two bikes. Chopper Charles got me addicted to all this computer stuff which I look forward to a couple times every day.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yup, Flyin Al. In my opinion, he and Charles changed the history of our 'little machines'. Hope nobody takes the "sows ear" the wrong way. The machine is rock-solid and proven. It is just so low-tech and crude as compared to many of the other machines forum members own. Guess that's why we love her, she's just sooooo odd. Gerry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I happen to be a CNC machinist and a welder, so if it can be done I can probally do it. Any suggestions on engines? I would like it to be a Yamaha. Would a four-wheeler engine be ok being that it has reverse? Want it to be air-cooled.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How about Yamaha XT350 engine? How much bigger would it be (lenght)? 6-speed and 27 hp. Sounds perfect for TW.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about Yamaha XT350 engine? How much bigger would it be (lenght)? 6-speed and 27 hp. Sounds perfect for TW.

My brother has a XT350 and I considered this engine, measured it and it is very close in size. Only thing I don't like is the kick start only. Is a BW350 engine different from the XT350? What is th HP on the TW?

·
Registered
116 Posts
How about Yamaha WR250X engine: electric start, 6-speed, 30 hp.
But: fuel injection (ECU), water cooled = maybe difficult.
And these are quite new = expensive and rare disassembled.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The other day I ran across some ATVers out, perched on top of a mini mountain on a single track. The site was pretty funny and I was impressed that they made it up it. One of them pointed out how similar TW's engine was to one of their quads. I believe it was a Yamaha Big Bear 250. 250 Yamaha for sure, I just didn't pay attention to the model name. The engine was identicle! I did not get a good look at the other side, it could have been shaft drive but it was a 2wd. Perhaps it may prove fruitless to add an additional 50 cc's for such a mod but...may be worth looking into.

I personally love the idea of that xt350 or Warrior powerplant being used

1 - 20 of 87 Posts