TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
First question is how many miles is on it ?
2nd has the engine ever been rebuilt and if so how long ago ?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Are you sure it isn't a loose chain tensioner needing adjustment and it's just making noise under a load? Fresh gas? Non-Ethanol?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are you sure it isn't a loose chain tensioner needing adjustment and it's just making noise under a load? Fresh gas? Non-Ethanol?
What Tommy stated.

Only way for it to develop piston slap is to have a bad lubrication system then with only that many miles on it.
I am going to have to agree with Tommy, if not tensioner then something else.

edit :
Auto chain tensioners fail before they are suppose to.

have not gone out and look at the one on my TW.
But assuming its like the one on my DR.
Take screwdriver and screw the tensioner in like you are going to remove it.
You should feel spring tension and it should be smooth as the turn the screw that disengages it.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Are the rubber pucks still between the fins? Might just be the fins resonating. Did you just add an after market skid plate? They can amplify the engine noise.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Valves in spec? Last time checked? Air filter clean? How's the plug? (in hopes it's something little and an easy fix) I really don't think it is piston slap at this point. You change the oil like I did mine, every thousand miles more or less so it probably doesn't have too much wear and tear... :icon_thumright: Hard core rider or a putt putt along kind of guy?

·
Registered
167 Posts
OEM skid plates I will check for the rubber pucks, how many are there suppose to be?
Mine doesn't sound like piston slap, it sounds like wheel bearings going out.
Trying to lean over and listen to where its coming from, it stops.

Try that, just lean over to each side and see if the sound stops.

Still not sure that it is not the wheel bearings. So replacing them anyway.
I'll look at the pucks also, that might be my problem.
Does it off n on at about 60 mph or so.

On the DR i cut up a bike inner tube and put a strip between each side of frame mount and skid plate.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hello, My Tw started to make a piston slap sound at high rpms, has anyone here ever witness this on their Tw? It only does this at a high RPM, when I shift it stops until i reach that certain Rpm.
Piston Slap is a 2 cycle term! Your valves maybe loose or possibly just some screws :laughing6:

Reactions: UncleRandy

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
It can happen in a 4 stroke also.
Piston Slap is a 2 cycle term! Your valves maybe loose or possibly just some screws :laughing6:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Are you starting to drive it faster or rev it higher than previously? These engines are noisy little things at higher RPMS. Just a thought.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you starting to drive it faster or rev it higher than previously? These engines are noisy little things at higher RPMS. Just a thought.

yes they are surly noisy! No I do not rev it higher then previously. It's just very annoying to hear

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
If motor hasn't failed yet perhaps an audio clip could be recorded and posted of the piston slap noise for our further evaluation. Any combination of cell phone, point-n-shoot camera, action camera, video camera clip(s) coupled with Youtube, Vimeo or other video hosting sites should allow us to experience your pain, or at least the engine's pain.
It hasn't been mentioned yet but does the supposed piston slap only occur under load? Stated another way can the engine's anomalous noise be re-created with bike in neutral by simply revving the engine?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts