TW200 Forum banner

Able to meet n' ride at Bald Eagle forest in Apr/May 2015?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TW meetup in Bald Eagle forest, PA around May 20, 2015

I'm calling quits on this. Since a bunch of us are already going to Spring de Tours in Marienville around my birthday anyway, I will be joining u guys there. My boss gave me the GO AHEAD today. See u guys in Marienville on May 16 and 17!

To ADMIN: I would appreciate it if someone edits this thread title to include the word CANCELLED

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would love to attend, except I'm waiting for a knee replacement in about a month or so and not sure how well I'll be healed up to be able to ride?? Very close to home also.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Interesting proposition for sure. Since I am "on call" every other weekend I would need to know specific dates before I could even consider such a thing. Not against the idea mind you, just need more info.

Tom

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are cabins literally a few miles from the west entrance to the forest. Rates/pics: Seven Mountains Campground - State College - Penn State-Home

And hotels are 15 min west in State College. There is a large family owned gas station/convenience store a few miles west too.

Camping sites are found throughout the forest too. There is an office that deals with that on the north side of the forest. I was allowed to camp for free last year. I guess it was because it was a slow season.

image.jpg This map shows the dual sport specific trails in yellow. The multi-use trails (cars can go on, gravel, also dual sport) are marked in black and run next to the dual specific trails. So total dual sport legal trails is 200 miles+

Check here for a ton of info on the trail system/forest . Pics of my trip are posted here as well. I had found a KLR rider (new to offroading) in the area and took him to these trails. First place that he ever dropped his almost new KlR was this forest.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have school ending in Apr/May? I'd like to schedule around the time everyone is finished with finals.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This vid shows the adventure that a KLR rider and I had. We probably only covered 20 of the 200+ miles of trails because we were newbs. :p

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yeah, I spent a while watching videos of this place yesterday. Looks good to me. To early to commit right now. It's all about money for me. If I have the funds to go, I will. Currently saving for Chris's ride end of March.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have decided May 20ish (my birthday) for the ride.

Where does everyone prefer to spend the night when away from home, near the trails? Hotel, cabin, tent? Anyone live near Bald Eagle forest?

Might also ride down to Philly to check out the Revzilla store.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have decided May 20ish (my birthday) for the ride.

Where does everyone prefer to spend the night when away from home, near the trails? Hotel, cabin, tent? Anyone live near Bald Eagle forest?

Might also ride down to Philly to check out the Revzilla store.
I'll do what ever as far as lodging, I do prefer staying indoors but not a necessity.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Of course I will be on call the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th:mad: evry other weekend before this weekend and every other weekend after this weekend.

Tom

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course I will be on call the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th:mad: evry other weekend before this weekend and every other weekend after this weekend.

Tom
I feel like there should be a law allowing motorcyclists to plan adventures throughout the year without the risk of being layed off. I feel like i'm multitasking/scheduling around my school/work so much. :(

One of my dream trips would be to ride my TW in Utah. With all the scenery and vast lands out there, it'd be one great ride.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I can plan adventures. Normally about a year in advance and if the guy who pulls on call my off weekends is willing to trade. Pay's the bill's nicely though so who am I to complain.

Tom

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Speaking of bills. I had half as many bills when I was in the Army so I spent a lot of money needlessly every week by eating out and shooting guns and ammo in the great state of Texas, etc. With all the money I could have saved, I could have bought 5 TWs LOL.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
My youngest boy play's hockey! If there is a more expensive sport I am not aware of it.

Tom

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Ha, try racing without sponsors. Any motorsport really.

I vote for sleeping indoors. Less to bring along, and less time setting up and breaking down if camping. Rather spend more time riding.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha, try racing without sponsors. Any motorsport really.

I vote for sleeping indoors. Less to bring along, and less time setting up and breaking down if camping. Rather spend more time riding.
There's a hotel that i stayed at in the collegw town 20 min west of the forest. It was convenient because there's a restaurant on the other side of the hotel's parking lot. Not too much walking ;) Maybe i can remember which hotel/restaurant

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Does that mean you're available May 23-24?
Actually it does not. May 23rd, and 24th follow my every other weekend on call rotation. Thirteen years doing this and I still have to look at my calendar for verification:(

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts