·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
The Fast and the Furious. 87 all the way. :p

Reactions: TWrider and Elvesus

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Ha Ha, Good thread here but certainly nothing more than personal preferences. I am partial to the Blues found on the 2006 and 2014 models. The Rainbow Warrior models of 1994 & 1995 are pretty sweet looking as well. I think the very first of the sharp colors came in 1988 with the Black Widow. There are also a couple years that had some rather weird colors such as Tan and Turquoise but I shy away from these because the plastics are very hard to replace unless you find those exact year bikes being parted out. I am pretty sure we could have some rather nice looking Chameleons out here with a mix and match of parts from various years that could be quite nice looking since most of the outer dresses are interchangeable. I did like the few years in the early days when they gave 2 choices of colors such as the 1991 in Black Onyx or in Purple.

Just going to the tread TWs by the years is a nice ride through the 30 years of nostalgia. I get the feeling member Placerload is on a mission to find one of each year and each color scheme and all in near perfect condition so he may one day open a TW museum. Just like a true coin collector when he finds a super nice, low mile bike of any given year he grabs it as a replacement for one he already has that might not be as nice. He and a few others here could benefit from a 12 step program for their addiction but I must admit it sure would be nice to sit in his stable with a few beers among some really nice and super well preserved TWs. I have always maintained there is absolutely no monetary difference between say a perfect 1994 and a perfect 2006 TW. With the slight changes made at the factory the additions are completely off set by the deletions. Would anyone here actually trade their kick start for a disc brake up front? Is a new style carb really all that much better in performance from the old? It really is pretty cool that an engine from a 1988 can be retrofitted to go in a frame from 2016 without too much of a problem and I highly doubt there is another bike on this planet that can say that.

GaryL

·
Registered
416 Posts
GaryL touched on this in his post. The only significant differences in the TW's over the years are:

The '87's may be fastest ;), as some here think. Since this was the first year, they are kind of the odd year since the electrical systems and turn signals are different.

Everything up to through 2000 are the same and have a kick start.

2001 and newer lose the kick start but have the addition of the front disc brake.

Can anyone provide the year the carb changed, that one I don't know the exact year.

There are some other really minor changes here and there. Personally, I would take the kick start over the disc brake. Other than that, pick a color, any color and find one at the right price. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,312 Posts
The only years to watch for is the ’87 (cranky electrics), and around 2007 – 2008 leaking head gaskets – other than that, it’s largely a choice of cosmetics

They may have made a few changes over the years such as the carb, the front disc, lining up the rear pegs, the fork drain plugs disappeared at some point, the top exhaust mount changed, as did the size of the fuel filler cap, and the idiotic decision to discontinue the kick start – but for the most part, it was primarily cosmetic. The paint job on the 2015/2016/2017 is a dull as ditch water, (I for one hate Yamaha blue), whereas in the early 90’s they got a bit more adventurous.

My prediction for 2018 – exactly the same as 2017

If you’re fortunate enough to have a Japanese import, you get to keep the kick start, and the colour options get a bit more “inventive”

CIMG4606.JPG

But the trouble with the more colourful “earlier” bikes is often the condition of the inside of the fuel tank, and the bike in general, making decent examples hard to find – so don’t get hung up on any particular colour scheme ……

·
Registered
968 Posts
I did a great deal of grueling research and fund all reputable sources said that the best year for the TW is 2015, period, end of story - thread ender....

8^D

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I did a great deal of grueling research and fund all reputable sources said that the best year for the TW is 2015, period, end of story - thread ender....

8^D
OK, You win! Now tell me what the hell 8^D means?????

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Welcome back to our TW Forum creator Chopper Charles. Last I remember your TW was stolen, did you ever find it? never heard.

Reactions: JerseyJeeper

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Is the new carb better than the old? Had always thought about a bigger carb to try and coax some more top end out of my T-Dub, even at the expense of the bottom...

Charles.
Nice to hear from you CC! Being the opinionated guy I am I have to say there is very little difference in performance between the old and new carbs. I have had a few bikes with both carbs and the old one is much easier to work on IMO. I also have never found much stopping power difference between the drum and disc brake set up except as noted above, when the drum is wet it does affect the braking until you get it dry.

Hope you do drop by from time to time if only to poke some fun at us novices.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
It's a sideways smile! 8 are wide open eyes, ^ nose and D mouth Next time I'll just do a ;) Don't want to start any speculation!........ ;^)
You mean this?:eek:

Reactions: BkCntryCrwlr
1 - 20 of 32 Posts