TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Admiral and Gerry have run skis on the front for goofy experiments but with limited success with stock tires.
Those of us with ATV rear tires typically do better in snow, but snow depth and consistency seem to be the deciding factors more than equipment.
Lowering you stock tire's air pressure can help. While squirrely and unsafe for anything other than first gear crawling speeds I have run as low as 4 psi to climb out of a canyon I had no business descending into.
Sometimes one can get tricked by changing snow conditions from frosty icy mornings to sun softened afternoons.

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
So perhaps better to wait for a little melt-out like in this silly video with my dogs, or instead a deep freeze's crust.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Fred I looked into front skis and maybe a track but it seem $$$ and not really easy to ride. Was thinking there has to be a snow machine with the reliability and simplicity of a TW don’t need to go fast just get there and back safely

Admiral and Gerry have run skis on the front for goofy experiments but with limited success with stock tires.
Those of us with ATV rear tires typically do better in snow, but snow depth and consistency seem to be the deciding factors more than equipment.
Lowering you stock tire's air pressure can help. While squirrely and unsafe for anything other than first gear crawling speeds I have run as low as 4 psi to climb out of a canyon I had no business descending into.
Sometimes one can get tricked by changing snow conditions from frosty icy mornings to sun softened afternoons.

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Try again with your dogs when snow is a little less intense, they would love to join you on a snowy TW ride.

One more teaser vid for you dog lovers:
Will try to find Youtube post of comparison tests and races of under $2,000 snow machines including several 2-wd motorcycles like the big tired Russian Taurus. None of the bikes did nearly as well as sleds in heavy snow but excelled when terrain got technical.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try again with your dogs when snow is a little less intense, they would love to join you on a snowy TW ride.

One more teaser vid for you dog lovers:
Will try to find Youtube post of comparison tests and races of under $2,000 snow machines including several 2-wd motorcycles like the big tired Russian Taurus. None of the bikes did nearly as well as sleds in heavy snow but excelled when terrain got technical.
Been starting and running the TW every couple of weeks. Does ok on pavement but I’m not going more the 25 mph. After the snowmobiles had packed down the snow I tried the trail with the TW on it. Took two hours to go two miles. Stock tires and was letting out air trying to get traction. When I hit a snow cover pond it threw me to the ground wasn’t a second to react just bam. Luckily was not going fast. That’s when I decided to stop thinking how can I do this on the TW (quit trying to reinvent the wheel) and get a machine meant for snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Maybe try snow shoes for a cardio work out so you'll be in good shape for the TW when eventually spring arrives. That will also give your dogs a chance to step on your snowshoe tails and send you sprawling, they do seem to like doing that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe try snow shoes for a cardio work out so you'll be in good shape for the TW when eventually spring arrives. That will also give your dogs a chance to step on your snowshoe tails and send you sprawling, they do seem to like doing that.
Funny you should say that. My work up here so far is part time walking dogs. I can tell you for me it makes me feel alive to be out in the weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anybody know if there is a TW snowmobile out there?
This is about as close as I've been able to find in terms of simplicity and utility:

IMG_4169.JPG

It's an '18 Arctic Cat Bearcat XT, which in reality is a Yamaha VK540 with Arctic Cat stickers, but in Yamaha Blue. It has a simple fan cooled 535 CC motor, high and low gear with reverse, electric and pull start, carburetor so will run with a dead battery, great towing capacity (the reason I got it was for hauling wood and small timber) and very good off trail manners in undisturbed and deep snow. It's definitely a working sled as it's not fast, more akin to a utility ATV. The downside is it's kinda big, at nearly 10' overall length and 730 lbs full of oil and gas. I've put several hundred miles on it in the last month to break-in the motor and it puts a grin on my face the way the TW200 does. And it even matches my '07 TW!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Someday I plan to make studded tires, .The TW seems very capable in deep snow if you stud the tires well enough-, I really enjoy watching those brave folks driving motorcycles in the snow. I want to do that!!!

I cant post any link- but if you go to youtube and search "TW200 with studs" you will see some fun videos of how well the bike can do. I would try that before investing In a snowmobile ski front end!

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Don't know if one can really get any of these for under $2000 but good example of simple machines. The original inner tube tired Taurus was about half the weight of the current production model, could be picked up one hand and could fit into a Lada's trunk.

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Georgian shootout of 2x2s : If they did well in the swamp they might be good in loose snow. Amazing what $2000 US supposedly buys in eastern europe.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
I did have the opportunity once to ride a Rokon 2 wheel drive bike and it sure was pretty interesting but not really much like riding a dirt bike or TW. My opinion was weird handling and extremely poor ride comfort not to mention under powered and wonky. Pretty sure all it had for a motor was a glorified chain saw power plant that looked to be rather weak in every aspect. Great for slow going in some tough terrain but not too good for much else. I have never seen here any of those other 2X machines in the videos but hope they are better designed than the Rokon I rode.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts