TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trials bike that I use for riding mostly tight trails with the occasional technically challenging section.
I have been daydreaming about a bike that could do those trails and be street legal.
How do you think the TW would handle this?

My trials bike is an old Beta synt and works fine.
I realize there is a big difference in the power output but that should be fine suspension travel looks the same.

Dan

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a trials bike that I use for riding mostly tight trails with the occasional technically challenging section.
I have been daydreaming about a bike that could do those trails and be street legal.

My trials bike is an old Beta synt and works fine.
I realize there is a big difference in the power output but that should be fine suspension travel looks the same.

Dan
The Beta and the TW are two separate beasts. I just got back from doing said trails, it is a little heavy and does not maneuver as easily as a Beta, but it can be done. I have 14/50 gear ratio, and I was impressed with how low 1 st gear actually was. It has really good compression. The only thing I wish I had was front disc brakes. You also mentioned the suspension, In my opinion the TW lacks, but Procycle has the fix.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
if you are going to sell the beta i would look at a plated wr250r or wr250f for that kind of tight trail riding...if you're used to riding a trials bike a TW is going to feel totally different

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks
Procycles has just about all you would want.
I am going to attempt to find someone around here who will let me try there bike out.

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
To add on to what Drifter mentioned about gearing, the TW is even better on the trails with gearing such as 14-55. Top speed for pavement riding is reduced, but a lot better on the trails. Some even go with a larger rear sprocket than the 55T.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input.
I think the top speed I would want is about 80-90KPH one of my concerns is the power but knowing that, I'm sure I could adjust my riding style or find ways around.

Part of my interest is to get to some remote lakes for some fly fishing.(new sport for me)
Low purchase price and running cost.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I sold my Montesa Cota 315 4 years ago to fund other projects. Then I found the TW200 and bought one. The TW is no trials bike but I used it primarily for trail riding anyway, the TW is a great replacement IMO.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Dan
There are many varied definitions of what a tight trail is among dirt bikers.

I have a KLX300 and a WR426. Rode the KLX 45 miles of offroad yesterday with three friends. I have ridden what this dirt biker calls very technical trails on the WR426. But as age advances and strength, stamina, and reflexes decline, when I just want to go out for a causal solo putt in the outback, I'm seeming to more and more walk over to the TW in my regular street cloths. Sometimes I put on a helmet.

I just happen to have recently made a video of what I'm calling Way to the Passage with the Passage being Park Creek Passage which was a way from point A to point B eliminating several miles of just graded roads and was around 5-6 years in the finding and the repair.

The Way to the Passage is another trail searched out to stay off the graded road on the way to the Passage.

It's about 45 minutes whittled down to abut 7 minutes.

Redline on the TW Speed Calculator is about 45 MPH with the 70T sprocket so it's not suited for highway work. When geared for highway work, it's not suited for this stuff.

Ain't no motorcycle that can be a mule, Thoroughbred, quarter horse, and draft horse all in one.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My love for technical, tight single tracks is why I've kept the TW for over four years and 17,000 miles! I have a 14/54 setup and believe this bike to be so darn nimble and easy to control that I can nearly tackle anything in front of me. I've rocked the Rubicon trail twice with it too - which has no lacking of technical challenges. The downfall of TW are the whoops, the tight ups and downs and what the suspension, as you've mentioned, can't do.

Again, it's a completely different stead next to a trials, though I don't think it would disappoint you :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the video link it does answer some questions and looks like a good ride lots of what we ride is like that with the occasional steep hill climb in between.

Thanks for the responses I think I am on the right track.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Thanks for the input.
I think the top speed I would want is about 80-90KPH one of my concerns is the power but knowing that, I'm sure I could adjust my riding style or find ways around.

Part of my interest is to get to some remote lakes for some fly fishing.(new sport for me)
Low purchase price and running cost.
I had an Ossa many years ago, and I agree, the TW is no trials bike. For me, it is better, because I can tackle 98% of the trails I would ever do on a trials bike, but be street legal to complete loops or dispense with the trailer, and it can CARRY a mule, not just act like one. :p I use mine to travel 35 miles on highway and dirt to go fly fishing at times, with all my gear on the rack. I have a dual sprocket set-up (13/50:13/55)which I have found to be really great. I just got back from a two week trip to Moab and the Colorado Mountains, and with the 13/55 set I got up some steep stuff at 13,000 feet just fine. With that, I can comfortably hit 50 mph on the pavement, 55 if really needed. With the 13/50: 60 and 65.

And you didn't mention reliability! The TW is one of the most reliable bikes ever built......nice to know when you're back in the boonies.

Trailscout's video says it all! I successfully tackled something like that when I first got it, but have since decided I really don't need to do that kind of riding when alone anymore!:eek: (And that was before I got the 13/55 set-up!)

One real difference that may be an issue once in a while is the inability to loft the front wheel over a big obstacle: it's just too heavy. Oh, and speaking of front wheels, the VERY best thing you can do for the bikes handling is to replace the stock front tire with a Kenda 270 or a Shinko 244, or maybe even a trials tire.

I don't think you need to be concerned about power unless you routinely operate at 10,000 feet and above. With the right gearing the TW has all the power you would ever need unless you are into Hill Climbs!

·
Registered
602 Posts
BTW, I was in error about the 14/70T redlining at 45 MPH. Hit's redline at a hair over 52 MPH. According to the excel spreadsheet someone posted.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Ronnydog has one. Pretty much done at 35. But dang, what a tractor in between.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ronnydog has one. Pretty much done at 35. But dang, what a tractor in between.
35 MPH sounds pretty early for a sign-off. That's 49 MPH with stock 14/50 gearing. I had mine up to 50+ briefly when I was doing my jetting last summer. It was running clean and strong but very close to redline at that speed. That'd be 70 MPH with stock gearing.

That was just for jetting. I just don't feel comfortable revving the little 200 that high. Some do. I don't.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Orbit's running a dual sprocket setup with either 14/68 or 15/68 depending on how the engine is set up that day. I'd say 35-45mph is game over; 35 with the 14 front, 45 with 15 front. Yes, you can go a little faster, but engine R's go up exponentially and speed crawls up. Not a big deal, stop under a tree and swap to highway gears.

·
Registered
602 Posts
but engine R's go up exponentially and speed crawls up.
Sorry, I can't stop myself. I used to be a math major. Engine R's and speed increase lineally relative to one another. Engine R's double, ground speed doubles.

I'd like to have a dual dual setup bu I don't see how I can do it with the ATV tire. I need to go back and study the dual thread some more I guess.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm trying to see if the TW can be fun in the tight woods. The lock to lock steering is really generous and the low seat height is appealing. electric start is great as is the street legal ability.

I have a Beta Rev3 that i use strictly for trailriding, not trials. There is no comparison. Your Beta is about 100 pounds lighter! That is a huge factor when you dance with the trees. Your hydraulic clutch is probably a one or two finger affair vs a heavy cable clutch. Same for your front (and rear) brake, no comparison. 2 stroke vs four etc, etc

The trials bike would be like a Jack Russell terrier and the TW is like a beagle. Both can chase a rabbit through the woods but the beagle is probably a better fishing companion.

Beta Alp is your Techno motor in a street legal configuration. Gas Gas Pampera, Scorpa Longride, Ossa Explorer, Ktm Freeride are all Terrier/beagle hybrids.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts