TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a TW200 to carry on a hitch carrier on a motorhome. Figure it would be a good general purpose grocery getter and trail machine when the motorhome is moored in a campground. I have a couple of questions:
1. How wide, in inches, are the tires? Will they fit between the slots on a hitch carrier?
2. If the wife wants to tag along, is it really practical to ride two-up for moderate distances and speeds?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
If the wife wants to tag along, is it really practical to ride two-up for moderate distances and speeds?
Depends on your wife. :D

Sure it is. Moderate distances and speeds being the operative language, however, I've met women who could sit back there longer than you could probably sit up front.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Don't worry too much about the fat tires. They are only wide above the actual tread contact ribbon. I have a JoeHauler rack and it has a standard width tray (4"? - measurements later) and the rear tire fits fine. Like any tray rack, the tire should be tied / belted in so it doesn't bounce out, but width is not an issue in my eyes.
Even though the tire is wider than the rack its all above the height of the rail edges that the width is excessive. Hope this helps your perspective.

redundancy is tiedowns is important as in any trailer or hitch situation. I recently saw a Honda dropped off the back of an RV because the owner had scrimped with cheap straps and infrequent inspection. Use good stuff or drag your bike. Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My carrier doesn't have a rail or tray like yours. Instead, it has two parallel rails 5-1/4" inches apart. The wheels drop down between these rails, to a lower support, then a pin is inserted through the wheel and rails to really secure the thing. It is possible to carry the bike with the wheels sitting on top of the rails, but this is much less secure. So, I'm hoping the TW's tires are less than 5-1/4" wide.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sounds like the Harbor Freight carrier. I no longer have stock tires on mine, so I can't help with the actual width but I first hauled it home on the HF carrier with stock tires. No problem.

x2 on not cheaping out on the straps. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
X3 on straps, in my case it only took a small driveway bump and the front end of my CT90 bounced out of my Tilt-A-Rack.....old style without metal side straps to hold the front tire in place. First bump and the forks compressed and out she went. No damage but a great teaching moment.......I have since modified the carrier so it will never happen again. I now use so many straps that the truck could roll over down a hill and be totaled and my trusty TW would still be hanging back there to get me home.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Rear tire is between 7 and 8 inches wide. Wrap a strap over the rim and outside and under the rails of both tires and it won't bounce out. I have 2 straps with ratchets and no hooks modified just for that purpose. 4 straps and soft ties complete my hookup, and the straps all have nearly full circle hooks, safety latches, and ratchets, not those crappy thumb buttons. They are overkill, but I've never dropped a bike off a trailer or carrier while driving, and twice Tdub found herself holding up someone else's bike, once a KLR and once a BMW.

You will need a receiver or bumper (depending on the type of carrier you have) rated for a 325 pound hitch load (650 with equalizers) to safely carry a TW. Your RV will also need a suspension capable of safely hauling that much weight on the back bumper. You may need to shift some of your other supplies forward to restore balanced axle weights. Weight distribution can make a huge difference in handling.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I went with one of the MX Haulers:

IMG_4606.JPG IMG_4607.JPG

I will try a "ramp" type for behind the travel trailer. Then, I will know which I like best. The MX Haulers are $400+ new. Ouch!

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Fishguys MX hualer has advantage of holding bike and carrier well up above ground. I have a cheap Harbor Frieght carrier that drags at the rear occassionally on washouts and curbs, not very elegant. Stock tire and ATV tire both ride comfortably on carrier's frame but I secure tires to frame with additional straps.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Last week I added 2x4and 2x2 supports extending off of roof rack to remove a bit of off- road slop and play at received hitch connection. 2x2 also bracket forks holding up bike during solo load, and unloading.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an old mx style carrier, it is the way to go if you can swing it. Roll the bike on, jack it up and you're off. Holds the bike by the pegs, I usually add a strap just for good measure. It carries the bike up good and high, no chance it'll drag. Actually sold mine on craigslist and called the guy the next day and begged him to sell it back to me - he was cool, he did.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Those cheapy carriers like the one from Harbor Freight worry me. I recommend spending a few extra bucks and getting a better quality carrier. The Joe Hauler and the Versahaul appear to be good choices. The MX haulers mentioned look to be a good option as well. I'm so glad that qwerty mentioned weight restrictions, suspensions and balancing loads. These things are often too quickly overlooked.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I went with one of the MX Haulers:

View attachment 4270 View attachment 4271

I will try a "ramp" type for behind the travel trailer. Then, I will know which I like best. The MX Haulers are $400+ new. Ouch!
I am in the market for a new carrier also and have really been eyeballing that MX Hauler.
I have a few of questions about how it sits.
Are you worried about it sitting on the skid plate?
It doesn't look to be sitting level in the picture, is it angled down?
I read it is just short of 60 lbs., is that difficult to lift and insert into the hitch? The reason I am considering this style is that I can't muscle the TW up the ramp myself so I am concerned about picking up a heavy carrier.
I have seen the Ultimate MX Ramp which lowers all the way to the ground and is in two pieces each less than 40 lbs. but it is soooo pricey. Ultimate MX Ramp

Opinions?

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Overstock.com has Mighty MX motorcycle Hauler for $279.99
Clone to Ultimate MX Hualer
375lb capacity
Ooops, Temporarily out of stock but they can email you when in stock

·
Registered
912 Posts
I am in the market for a new carrier also and have really been eyeballing that MX Hauler.
I have a few of questions about how it sits.
Are you worried about it sitting on the skid plate?
It doesn't look to be sitting level in the picture, is it angled down?
I read it is just short of 60 lbs., is that difficult to lift and insert into the hitch? The reason I am considering this style is that I can't muscle the TW up the ramp myself so I am concerned about picking up a heavy carrier.
I have seen the Ultimate MX Ramp which lowers all the way to the ground and is in two pieces each less than 40 lbs. but it is soooo pricey. Ultimate MX Ramp

Opinions?
Yes, it does look angled in the photos. That can be compensated for by moving the bike closer to the truck.

The bike clamps to the support plate via two very large bolt/clamps. A very good design. I put a strap from the front tire to a loop on the carrier to keep the front end from wagging back and forth.

I know, it doesn't look very stable but I have 1000 miles on mine with NO problems. At first, I stopped and checked it every 50 miles.

Remember, any hitch attached to the receiver will be heavy to install and will need some straps or something from the bumpers to each end to stop the wagging. I don't use anything. After 500 miles, or so, I stopped worrying.

One drawback is that on my 2006 Ford 150, even with a standard 2" drop hitch in the receiver, the platform is about 1" too tall and I still needed to lift the bike. Solution? A 3" drop hitch = Much Joy!

Next, I need a hitch on the back of the travel trailer. I am going to pay attention to ground clearance issues. Something hanging off the back of my already low Airstream will surely drag. It makes sense to adapt the MX Hauler to that task, also. That's my main reason for buying it. If I am pulling the trailer the bike HAS to go on the back. And, with the MX I only need one carrier.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oh, one more thing. My Ford 150 does just fine. However, anything smaller (4 runners, S10s, etc.) will experience "Front End Float". Very bad! Beware, with ALL bumper carriers!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts