TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have a 12' jayco tent trailer and I am wondering if I could put my TW on the tounge like where the propane tank is? Would there be a weight problem?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
One thing to consider, turning radius. By putting the rack on the tongue, you are shortening the area for the corners of the tow vehicle to be able to turn. Putting it on the back of the trailer that is well balanced may not be a good thing either. You need some tongue weight for stability.

I would take it to a set of scales and weigh the back of the tow vehicle with the trailer on and off and see what the numbers are before making a decision. Don't want the tail wagging the dog.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Ok I will be the east coast voice of REASON! I had a Jayco popup camper 7 years ago and can tell you that my trailer frame was just enough for the camper that sits on it. Now maybe your model is better than mine was "stranger things have happened" but could you please take a picture from UNDERNEATH you camper? If that tongue is just welded to the box frame "which is what I am envisioning" I would not put an extra 300lbs on it that close to the weld.

Tom

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys have a good eye spotting the RAV 4. We have since bought a truck so weight isn't an issue. I will talk to VanillaGorilla1 to get his input. Maybe I will ask they jayco dealer service techs to see what they think as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You might be able to put the TW on the front of your truck.. Maybe get a hitch for the front of your truck and mount a single motorcycle rack. They make the hitches for mounting a winch. Not sure what the tongue weight rating would be. Depending on the model of truck it might be almost invisible with removed.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The frames on most tent trailers are built right to the limit, thus the small balls usually used (1 7/8). You might get away with
and really good hitch haul with 2" receiver and pull the trailer but I'd look a the specs real close-tonge weight (think TW300lbs) and haul weight.
You may be pretty limited with a smaller truck. My Landcruiser is rated for hauling the weight of TW on hitch but it sure sags more than I liked stock.
Manufactuers ratings are what need to be looked at.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have top off bed and carry atv back there. I think for now I will drive bike to camp and have wife drive truck and trailer.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
This is a setup I would like to own

View attachment 29586

Actually I would probably turn the camper so the front door faces the rear so after I removed my TW, grill, lawn chairs and all the other big stuff I need. I could use it as a porch. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We got it for free from a family moving and it was pretty rough - previous kids colored all over it with marker so we sanded and my wife painted it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts