TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 92 that's having some issues. It's not running well at all and after going through everything I can I took it to a mechanic. He hasn't gone through much yet but seems to think it will need quite a bit to get it going good again. So unless it's under $400 ish I'm going to try to sell it. It's only got 6200 miles and ran really good up until this point. I've got the original tank and a desert tank although the original isn't in the best shape. The plastic has all been painted but doesn't look too bad. The frame is in excellent condition and it has new tires sprockets and chain. So what is a bike that is in relatively good condition but doesn't run well worth? Would it be better to part it out or to just sell as is?

·
Super Moderator
5,129 Posts
OK – so let’s look at this ……

Normally, a parts bike has most of its value in the frame and the things bolted onto it (minus the engine)

On your bike, all this is intact – it’s only the engine that’s “questionable” ….

Work out the value of the whole bike (eg what you would pay for it in your area if it was working fine) – and deduct $200

That’s what your bike is worth

Second hand engines start at $250 – and any missing engine parts you already have

My advice is to source another engine (for less than a mechanic is telling you your original engine will take to fix), and put it into your bike

If that works – fine – enjoy the ride

If not – relax – you now have two engines to make one good one – and the support of the “hive mind” on here to help you through it

Some of us on here have a lot of experience in ripping these engines apart – all you’ll need is a socket set and a digital camera – don’t forget that if we decide (from the pictures) that your top end has lunched, you can simply swap out the top end from the other engine. No need for complicated re-builds

With a single engine it can get expensive and complicated – with two engines, it becomes a lot easier

So – spend $250 bucks and keep it – or deduct $200 and sell it – your choice ……

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I do decide to replace the engine where should I look for a new one? Local classifieds turn up nothing and eBay I found a bottom end for 325 and top ends around 210-300. That's over $500 and if I could get $1000 out of the bike I could take that $500 add a little more and have a nicer bike that needs nothing. Am I not looking in the right places?

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Finding a serviceable engine for reasonable money might take quite a bit of time and effort. However having a paid mechanic fix the bike sounds expensive. Investing the time, shop space and tools to learn how to do the work necessary yourself must sound equally daunting. Ouch, feel your pain.
One possible solution might be to go ahead and get the professional diagnosis and then with forum members advice and assistance effect the actual repairs yourself. Post pictures and ask for advice at each step in the repair process when in doubt. This is what I have done. I received help from the forum for which I am still very gratefull. Most issues have historical posts that explain things rather well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of my main issues with a rebuild (aside from inexperience with rebuilding an engine) is I don't really have anywhere to do it. I have no garage or basement I can use and my house is small and I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I left my engine apart on the kitchen table haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
One of my main issues with a rebuild (aside from inexperience with rebuilding an engine) is I don't really have anywhere to do it. I have no garage or basement I can use and my house is small and I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I left my engine apart on the kitchen table haha
You can rent a storage unit for 30 days or longer close to where you live. Also this will give you a good clean environment to do the work.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Waymore what would be really cool is if you could buy that 89 TW200 in New York for $1200. Then take your time and have two of them little by little you could swap parts back and forth and find all the problems. Thats what I do, I have a 89 & 91. I hate to have to leave it with someone else for repairs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like there is something broken and bouncing around inside the engine, it won't idle anymore intact it barely wants to run at all with throttle and it gets so hot in a matter of 30 seconds you can't even sit on it or stand near it. It's not over revved or anything it just gets EXTREMELY hot real quick

·
Registered
107 Posts
With only 6200 miles, I'd first clean it up to see what I've got. Any neglect will likely be due to weather and/or lack of maintenance. You've got to be either extremely cruel or stupid to hurt one of these. Air cooled, simple carb. CDI?, they either work or don't. So if it's gone this far, it will keep going. Might have some wiring connector issues if it's been left in weather.
Carb rebuild kit, probably a petcock and fuel lines. Clean the tank and replace the air filter, and for god sakes change the oil and filter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rebuilt the carb already changed the oil and filter twice. Have a Clarke tank on the way with a petcock. Went through almost all the connections and repaired broken connectors, changed the air filter, adjusted the valves and timing chain, replaced both sprockets and chain

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got extremely lucky. I posted on Facebook that I was looking for someone to rebuild my motor. You wouldn't believe all the backyard mechanics that are willing to help for a fraction of the price. Just ask loads of questions and use your best judgement. Plus, they will do the work at their place!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts