TW200 Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1171 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Got up early this morning gave the bike a rinse off and rode around town (Dallas) with no particular destination in mind. Ended up in a neighborhood called Deep Ellum. In the 1880's it was a center for cotton trade and processing. In 1914 Henry Ford built one of the first Ford factories there. In the 1920's and 30's it was a center for jazz and blues. In the 1980's it was home to the local alternative music scene, and it has struggled a bit since then, but it still some to some music venues and independent retail. It is one of the more "urban" neighborhoods in largely suburban Dallas. It's a bit grungy, so I figured some graffiti/mural photos were in order...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Really like Amarillo Bill's Sasquatch fender sticker as well as his outdoor shop.
If that wall mounted tailgate drops down open I want one!
Thanks!
The tailgate seat has a back story. ( yes it folds down) It was a low mileage 72 W100 440/4 speed 4wd T boned by a drunk and slammed into a bridge. No other body parts were saveable. I miss that truck.
I got the decals on ebay.
Squatchin is another hobby.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Nice bear tracks with a TW for scale Scooterbrained!
From theparking job atop the railroad tracks I can see that the TW wheelbase just needs a 2" swingarm extension to match the track of a Roman chariot, the basis of most railroad gauges worldwide.

I followed these similar tracks for half a mile or so on Tuesday. Maybe my bear caught the train to snow-bird in Florida.

Glad I got out for likely a final Indian Summer ride in the warm sunshine. Temps have fallen 20 degrees since and are predicted to drop another 20 degrees in next few days.
This pic was about 9 am when things had warmed up to around 40 degrees. I was retrieving my action camera which saw unintended action when it broke off my helmet @ 40mph and skidded down the pavement. Pulling off the road I noticed this pretty nice backdrop behind worthy of a memory.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
From theparking job atop the railroad tracks I can see that the TW wheelbase just needs a 2" swingarm extension to match the track of a Roman chariot, the basis of most railroad gauges worldwide.

I followed these similar tracks for half a mile or so on Tuesday. Maybe my bear caught the train to snow-bird in Florida.
View attachment 209060

View attachment 209063

Glad I got out for likely a final Indian Summer ride in the warm sunshine. Temps have fallen 20 degrees since and are predicted to drop another 20 degrees in next few days.
This pic was about 9 am when things had warmed up to around 40 degrees. I was retrieving my action camera which saw unintended action when it broke off my helmet @ 40mph and skidded down the pavement. Pulling off the road I noticed this pretty nice backdrop behind worthy of a memory.

View attachment 209062
Wow, and that is a compliment! :)

Reactions: Scooterbrained

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

View attachment 209060

View attachment 209063

View attachment 209062
You must be Ringo. Look Darling, this here is Freddie Ringo, the baddest T-Dubber in all of the Sierras, they say. Looks like Mr. Ringo is an educated man.

There’s an interesting extension to the story about railroad gauges and horses’ behinds. When we see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah. The engineers who designed the SRBs might have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory had to run through a tunnel in the mountains. The SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track is about as wide as two horses’ behinds. So, the major design feature of what is arguably the world’s most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a Horse’s Ass!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

View attachment 209060

View attachment 209063

View attachment 209062
For enhanced skills education tie a bloody steak to the back of your TW and ride away from the bear. Since they can only run 25-30 mph you should be able to outrun it. The trick is: Can you out maneuvre it? You will learn quickly to apply lots of throttle and maneuvre around things you would never believe. You could probably hop logs and big rocks just like the trials riders with a little encouragement behind you.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
For enhanced skills education tie a bloody steak to the back of your TW and ride away from the bear. Since they can only run 25-30 mph you should be able to outrun it. The trick is: Can you out maneuvre it? You will learn quickly to apply lots of throttle and maneuvre around things you would never believe. You could probably hop logs and big rocks just like the trials riders with a little encouragement behind you.
Funny you mention that Ken. A few weeks ago I was putting along a road after riding around George's Lake traveling north on Hillsborough Ave 29.797893, -81.838952 when suddenly I was flanked by two bulldogs that meant business. One came running out of Escambia that apparently had been walking ahead of a woman carrying a baby.

No problem I thought at first and had slowed to a 2nd gear crawl as I did not want to hit the dog. Then a second one came running to the other side of me each facing me head on from about a 45 degree angle no doubt working together in attack mode. At first it was just barking and I had geared down to first as the woman was screaming for the dogs but had no control over them whatsoever.

I usually don't get spooked easily by something like this but when the second dog appeared, it all happened so fast and I knew I was in trouble now as the hair was raised up on my neck straighter than the dogs. I had moved to the left side of the road when the first dog showed up just to give it more room. Luckily roads edge on the left was a pretty wide margin and flat with no obstacles to speak of as I had now moved off to side of the road.

With nothing else left to do as they started to close in, I revved the bike up and dropped the clutch and the bike lunged forward taking to back wheel only. Luckily it was soft terrain and not enough traction to flip over backwards. If that had happened no doubt I would not be typing this today as I would most likely would be dead.

As I broke through the two dog brigade with their muzzles just shy of my legs (I think one of them actually brushed the side of my boot) the front wheel settled down as I hit a nervous second gear and we were off and running. The one on the left gave up chase very shortly but the one on the right hung second gear also and gave it's best shot for about two blocks as I was having flashbacks about Clint Eastwood in The Gauntlet.

I admit the lady is a Protected Species but I have never liked unpredictable and dangerous bulldogs and can't believe some owners let them run loose like that. All I could think of afterwards is how one day they will succeed and the thought of that small baby in her arms.

Marty

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Even though you can’t see the T-Dub parked below in the darkness, I thought the reflection of the moon on the tin roof was worth a shot Sunday night.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
This Halloween's second full moon, the Hunter's Moon, sure looks bright as a streetlight in Marty's picture. Nice!(y)
Seemed wonderfully bright here too, even though moon's orbit was at near its furthest from earth, or apogee.
I bundled up and slept outside Friday & Saturday nights to enjoy the moonlight and likely the last of mild Indian Summer evenings. Missed seeing these trespassers but the camera didn't:cool:.

Guess I'm not the only one who's rides extend after dark. A little late to be breaking into my place though. While likely innocent it is not a good time to misbehave. Between this and a couple of angry antifa like phone calls we've gotten shouting "STAY HOME!" then hanging up, then add to that hearing the Resistance activists are calling for renewed street violence as businesses board in preparation up we're actively embracing our Second Amendment Rights tonight on Election Night.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
In our area it has been customary to for the officials to announce Trick or Treat night on the closest Saturday to the 31st.
I surely doubt to live long enough for all three to arrive on the same time again, Saturday, 31st and Full Moon!

Marty

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
200 Posts
the bike lunged forward taking to back wheel only.
.That maneuver has been nicknamed “wheelie” but I’m gonna steal your description going forward.
I’ve had the dogs turned loose on me before and I feel sorry for the dogs and angry at the owners. I’m armor up to my ass and the dog has moving spokes, chain and hot motor in his face, I try to get lost quicky and quietly without damaging dogs.
Also dogs/pets are usually all bark but the dangerous ones are the feral dogs that pack up and have no fear of people.

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
You guys should meet some of the Welsh farm dogs. Once when I was passing a farm two large dogs came out, and proceeded to bark and chase me on the bike. No physical contact though, so I wondered what they were up to

A mile further on, and the road dead ended, so I had no choice but to turn back

Sure enough, there they were, in the middle of the track, waiting for me, grinning from ear to ear …..

·
Registered
1995 TW200
5 Posts
Got this 1995 model just this year, sat for many many years. Cleaned up the carbs, tossed in new battery, and promptly took it on a 500+ mile ride with another TW200 local.

1101 - 1120 of 1171 Posts