TW200 Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1258 Posts

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Old photo from back when my bike was just another mostly stock TW200. Still had the Death Wing front tire.
Here atop a slab at tail end of a fairly long granite slickrock trail. Somewhat remote yet a few hours on the bike covered more ground than a full day's 4x4 rock crawling could likely traverse.
Couldn't imagine a better bike for exploring back then , nor today.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Old photo from back when my bike was just another mostly stock TW200. Still had the Death Wing front tire.
Here atop a slab at tail end of a fairly long granite slickrock trail. Somewhat remote yet a few hours on the bike covered more ground than a full day's 4x4 rock crawling could likely traverse.
Couldn't imagine a better bike for exploring back then , nor today.

View attachment 211352
The water level looks like it was a bit higher than normal from the looks of the grass.
Are you sure that's the same bike, Fred?

Marty

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Poor thing did look somewhat under abused back in 2010. Still had stock skid plate too.
Yes, that was Mossy Pond I believe, pretty much at full pool at mid-summer due to snowmelt. Part of a rock bound series of very small lakes that are very enjoyable on leisurely hikes from here. Moonlit scampering about on the granite slickrock sure is fun either on foot or carefully on the bike. Nearby Upper Lola Montez Lake:

Nearby Lower Lola Montez Lake accessible by the Hole-In-The-Ground Trail:

Some serious singletrackery in scenic splendor to be had out there.

Lola Montez was a popular feminine idol for the Gold Rush prospectors.
" Eliza Rosanna Gilbert, Countess of Landsfeld (17 February 1821 – 17 January 1861), better known by the stage name Lola Montez (/moʊnˈtɛz/), was an Irish dancer and actress who became famous as a Spanish dancer, courtesan, and mistress of King Ludwig I of Bavaria, who made her Gräfin von Landsfeld (Countess of Landsfeld ."
She passed away at young age of 39 suffering from tertiary effects of syphylis...maybe it wasn't always so good to be the king back then. :cool:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Beautiful Lake Photography, Fred! And Lola as well. No doubt a true professional with her feminine wiles.

Would those trees be known as Ponderosa growing between the rock formations?

Both pics are great but the first one, Upper Lola, looks like it would be deserving of a visiting tourist post card advertisement for the area.

Marty

Reactions: reddave and SanDue

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Didn't see no Miss Lola skinny dippin' or doing the breast stroke past this little guy.

Water is mighty cold so I stayed on the bank.

Cold oxygenated water does makes for healthy trout.

Rather than fishin' though I go out there for the ridin' and the viewin':cool:

Gosh, I've convinced myself that I'm ready for the snow to melt and head back.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
And those pics were just with my crummy camera.
Just look how much prettier Sue's cell capture is compared to what I'm seeing (from the last SanDue hosted Group Ride ) . How does she do it?
Guess sometimes it takes a woman's touch.:cool:

Seriously though one can fly out west and rent bikes or maybe bum one from a forum fellow. While I TW-ed to these places a rented Harley or Adventure Tourer or darn near anything up to great views like these and many others.

I've been known to forget to clean camera lens when distracted while riding around stuff like this.

·
Super Moderator
14,326 Posts
Really neat looking place. I think I'd like to ride there one day. Those canyons are neat to ride in/through.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Already on top of the list, Marty!!! Also, while not my normal terrain, I'm also planning a ride up the Mount Evans Scenic Byway. It's the highest paved road in North America, so I feel as though it's kind of a "must ride at least once" type of scenario. Open to all suggestions, it's the planning time of the year! The only fun I get to have outside during winter is fishing through 2ft of ice in negative 19-degree temperatures...

Give me a shout if you do plan a Pikes Peak ride. I'm not far from there. I'm sure several of us TW riders in the area would join ya.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
A little liquid fire starter helps to warm things up after a long day in the saddle.

I'm a very responsible drinker...notice the un-breakable silicone glass for when I stumble? :cool:
Was a gift from the Admirals, thank you Kris & Lori.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Guess it is a proven combination.

Now I don't drink and ride, I tend to drink and then snore.
Temperatures fall as dusk rises earlier in the shortening days of fall and there is only so much firewood. Once coals die down usually so do I.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Betty's Booped and Freddie's Pooped. Time to hit the hay.
Only thing missing in that pic is a pot of campfire beans.

Marty

·
Registered
965 Posts
Give me a shout if you do plan a Pikes Peak ride. I'm not far from there. I'm sure several of us TW riders in the area would join ya.
You got it, brother!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone else live in an area with tons of salt on the roads this time of year, just? These pictures just make me wanna say screw it and WD40 my way through winter:)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Anyone else live in an area with tons of salt on the roads this time of year, just? These pictures just make me wanna say screw it and WD40 my way through winter:)
I keep 2 bikes plated and ride all winter long. My boots have salt stains on them from the damn brine they spray on the roads here everytime it gets close to freezing.

Adventure bikes, dual sports and dirt bikes are for riding, not for looking at. A little corrosion is bound to happen.

Dirty bikes are happy bikes.

1221 - 1240 of 1258 Posts