TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1241 - 1260 of 1353 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I keep 2 bikes plated and ride all winter long. My boots have salt stains on them from the damn brine they spray on the roads here everytime it gets close to freezing.

Adventure bikes, dual sports and dirt bikes are for riding, not for looking at. A little corrosion is bound to happen.

Dirty bikes are happy bikes.
View attachment 211662
Do you clean them off every ride or just do a lil pre winter prep and be on your way, btw love that people are out there riding during these winter months!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Do you clean them off every ride or just do a lil pre winter prep and be on your way, btw love that people are out there riding during these winter months!
Regular checks before I go and ride. I'll give them a little bath now and then when the weather is conducive. So, maybe next week when it gets up to 6C again. Only thing I will do different next winter is switching out the tires on the BMW. The Karoos are rock hard durometer and not fun in the cold.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Reactions: Scooterbrained

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Reactions: SpeedyTide

·
Registered
1,602 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I like the invisible license plate
Few people know this but, @Gullyjumper has a switch on the handlebar that makes the tag fold up out of sight when he blasts past all the toll booth cameras in his area of Mississippi.

Marty

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I keep 2 bikes plated and ride all winter long. My boots have salt stains on them from the damn brine they spray on the roads here everytime it gets close to freezing.

Adventure bikes, dual sports and dirt bikes are for riding, not for looking at. A little corrosion is bound to happen.

Dirty bikes are happy bikes.
View attachment 211662
Hey @NorthernSpy , pardon if I am wrong about the model but, how about some pictures of the FJ40 in the background? How fitting an adventure vehicle to go along with the two adventure bikes.

Marty

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hey @NorthernSpy , pardon if I am wrong about the model but, how about some pictures of the FJ40 in the background? How fitting an adventure vehicle to go along with the two adventure bikes.

Marty
That is my first LandCruiser I bought in Washington State in 1993. It is indeed a '77 FJ-40. I took it to Guam, and then to Alberta, where it sat in my BILs barn for 18 years and developed some cancer. It is still reasonably straight, with about 100,000 miles. Just got it back to BC, with the intention to restore it, or give it to my son, when he finishes his apprenticeship. So I had to buy a bigger tent, as I have no garage or shed. I sized it for the bikes to go in front.

My daily driver is a HJ-61 LandCruiser which I have had for 18 years. My son has the disease too, as he drives a LJ-78 LandCruiser.

Cruiser coming out of the barn.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Our daily drivers.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
What a great story. If you give it to your son in hopes of restoring it, do y'all live close enough to each other so it can be a father son project?

About 15 years ago, I helped a friend rebuild the engine in an FJ40 that his father bought at his son's behest. After we rebuilt it and got it road worthy, his father gave it to him. It was a fun Father-Son-Friend project. Next on the list was front disk brakes and power steering. Unfortunately that never happened. My friend got divorced and moved away. He still has the FJ to my knowledge but I don't think he has done anything else with it since.

If he still lived close by, I think I would have had him on a T-Dub as well. Life goes on . . . . .

Marty

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
These B&W photos seem so appropriate with old out-of-the-way bridges.
The bikes were side by side. @SpeedyTide 's bike is such a camera hound. By the time I walked forward and turned around to get the photo, the picture hawg had eased forward a couple feet.

Marty

Reactions: admiral

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
The bikes were side by side. @SpeedyTide 's bike is such a camera hound. By the time I walked forward and turned around to get the photo, the picture hawg had eased forward a couple feet.

Marty
You mean to tell me.....my bike "eased forward" to hawg a pic, and it couldn't have helped ease its way out of the water that dark, cold night without me around!?!? :unsure:

1241 - 1260 of 1353 Posts