TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to comments by BigTorque and Wrenchpuller, here is a start of a tractor thread. If TWs are like tractors, its possible that many of us have a tractor in our background. I'll post a photo of the tractor that my dad bought when I was nine or ten years old, because the other tractor we had for me to drive had a clutch that was too far away for me to use. The new tractor, an Oliver 55 had the clutch directly below the drivers seat so all I had to do was stand up to disengage the clutch. Child labor laws were pretty loose in Illinois at the time. I probably had 1000s of hours of driving time before I was 15 and eligible for a drivers permit. But hey, I had a car at 13 so, who need a **** permit? Its hard to believe I was 9 so I may be off a year or two.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I lost all my family photos when my brother sank my boat, so no pics. I grew up driving a 8N Ford that ran on ethanol. My grandfather bought the tractor in the late 1930s and converted it to ethanol because he had corn and sugarcane but couldn't afford gas.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Grew up with an old allis-chalmers and then dad bought a Farmall C w/ narrow front end. Had tons of fun with those old tractors and drove the Farmall well before a car or truck.

Current bain of my existance is a john deere 210c 4wd loader/backhoe. Abused to death and back by the previous owner and purchased by my mother-in-law. Now I am trying to clear a lot and build a 1/2mile driveway, and as my brother says, the tractor is part of the Army Reserves: "Good for one weekend of work per month"

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I have 2 Fords, a 2000 that came my way for $100 and a 4000 diesel that was $1500. Neither looks worth anything, but they both do what I need done once jump started.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Best thing I can tell you. It was a Ford with steel wheels. I remember how those cleats shook the heck out of you on a hard pack clay road.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Not sure if this qualifies as a real tractor story, but here goes.

I started riding motorcycles on one of those little mini-bikes with a go cart style engine and gas tank similar to this one.

I had a bad habit of giving it gas and brake at the same time, so I burned up the centrifugal clutch in short order. The one I had was so old that parts weren't available, so my Dad took the deck off of a lawn mower tractor and that became my new "bike". I rode (drove) that thing through all kinds of places that it was never intended to go. I ran into fences, went through tunnels under the interstate, across cow pastures, down to creeks, you name it and I went there. I put so many miles on it the drivetrain (IIRC, it was some kind of sealed chain drive) finally gave up.

Now that I think of it, that "tractor" kind of reminds me of my TW. Not fast and not flashy, but it allowed me to get from point A to point B and have fun doing it.

I don't have a picture of that one, because that was like 100 years ago, but here is a picture of my current lawn mower tractor.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I also had access to a riding mower without a deck for a couple years, a 1955 Cub Lo-Boy. More of a lowered tractor than a riding mower. It had steering brakes so the open differential wasn't much of a problem in mud. If memory serves, it had 9 horsepower. It did a good job towing my sailboat back and forth to the river.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I grew up with a Farmall Super M, an old CO_OP tractor and several newer diesel fords. The Super M and co-op have been sold
. I now have a 1953 Farmall cub with a 60" mower deck and several other implements. I sure wish the Super M and co-op had not been sold after my Great Grandfather passed away...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ahahaha I remember I think I was 5 or 6 my Uncle Jerry Rest in Peace. In Oklahoma put me on a tractor alone. Big mistake. I love to destroy things as a kid. Rode it in a couple of circles then saw some 6ft hedges and took them right out.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Grandad was a John Deere man through and through. Though he got out of farming in my late teens, and dad took a different career path, I remember spending many hours sitting on the fender with G'pa and dad in the fields.

Sometimes we get attached to a brand, as I now spend many hours in my "field" harvesting the crops on what else, a John Deere!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Before and after of the water pump I had to rebuild on the JD 210C -- It would only run for 20min before overheating. Everything checked out good so I pulled the water pump and almost had to change my shorts...

Never seen a pump this bad, and my dad that does failure analysis stuff for a gigantic super-global-mega-corp had never seen it this bad either. We are thinking someone ran this poor sucker for a long time with straight (non-distilled) water.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah I was thinking really "hard" water with lots of minerals in it...

Or maybe swamp water. I did that once in the truck to get home... Turns out you can't pee enough to fill a radiator

·
Registered
112 Posts
i learned to snow wheel on a 8hp lawnmower. used it to pull carts of firewood when i was a little boy in the winter for my grandpa. had a clutch brake and a 3 speed. thing could pull steep grades with 6 inches of snow on the ground with 2 hunnerd pounds of wood in a cart.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Does my Wheelhorse count as a bona fide tractor

When I was younger and fitter a Ford County or Roadless Fordson was my choice of tractor for timber extaction.....Ahhh those were the days

1 - 19 of 19 Posts