TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, with a little luck, I was able to score 2 Carlisle Terrathon ERT Run Flat Tires (26x8-14) for the rear of my TW. These are 4 ply, 22 psi, real deal run flats.

My plan is to use the stock rear TW200 wheel + a tube + the Run Flat tires - no idea how these are going to mount up.

My bro is a service mngr and a modern auto repair / tire shop, so he will be my first stop. His shop has all the equipment for automotive run flat tires.

Has anyone else in the world of TWs tried this?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Run flat.....now that's cool! Now that I have my Maxxis Ceros on my bike I fear the day it goes flat. After the three day mounting ordeal I think I would just sell it as is / where is ;).
Are you going to extend your swing arm if the tire mounts ok?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dropped the tire / wheel / tube off at the shop - hope to have good news tomorrow!

Your opinion needed: Should I get this rear tire / wheel balanced or just leave it as is? The TW is no speed machine and I will rarely be taking this on road. Thoughts...?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The tire is mounted on the wheel! It took extra lube and 70psi to seat the bead.

The shop had issues seating the bead (took 3 days) but was able to do it without trimming anything off the tire.

The max pressure needed was 70psi which is quite high. I am using a HD tube and the tire has super thick / super stiff sidewalls, so a high pressure should be ok.

I'll get it mounted on the bike this weekend and take some pics.

Thanks for all the help - great info on this forum.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Very nice....but you took it to a shop? Now where's the fun ("drama") in that! Just kidding, probably safer to let the pros handle a 'military' tire anyhow. Have you measured the circumference? The Maxxis Ceros was 87.5" and with the rear sprocket changed to 55 tooth it was very close to the stock set-up. I used a thumb tack to hold a string on the center of the tire then rotated it till the tack came full circle, cut off the sting where it over lapped, measured the length of the string and there it was. Mostly its just the look of the larger tire that does it for me but you've got the advantage of run flat technology as a bonus. Look forward to the pics and a ride report soon.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No drama for me and tires - Back when I was an auto tech, I saw some neat tire explosions, I'll let the pros handle it. :cool:

Good point on the re-gearing. I'm going to try the stock gearing, if it sucks, then I will re-gear.

I don't know much about run flat tires other than a google search - maybe someone here does?? Carlisle doesn't list any specs online about the Terrathon ERT, I also emailed them for specs but didn't get a response.

The bead, sidewall and overall build of this Carlisle Terrathon ERT is very thick and stiff. If I were to compare it to an automotive tire, It would be like a load range E truck tire. IT IS HEAVY and the sidewall has virtually no flex.

YES- tube is still needed for TW, only because the tire is mounted on a laced wheel. The military applications uses ATV / automotive style wheels where no tube is needed.

More info coming when I get it mounted on the bike. I'll post circumference, tire weight, and when I get a chance, a ride report.

Thanks for the help dudes!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also emailed them for specs but didn't get a response.
[/QUOTE]

Hey 1911model, you may or (more likely) may not get a response on that due to the fact it's a mil-spec monkey deal.
The DoD-opsec thing. If they don't know you, they are probably wondering.........?
The cloak & dagger stuff.
Good deal on this post. I find this interesting as well.

·
Registered
548 Posts
So if men in black show up and you and your bike vanish.....you still owe us a ride report! Make sure your rear view mirrors are well adjusted when you go for your maiden voyage and always have an escape plan if your being followed:cool:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So if men in black show up and you and your bike vanish.....you still owe us a ride report! Make sure your rear view mirrors are well adjusted when you go for your maiden voyage and always have an escape plan if your being followed:cool:
HA - Will do. I always wear a tinfoil hat and have a back up plan, you never know when the Zombies are coming. Come and take it! :p

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK - done and done - WOW

Air optional!

Quick measurements: 27" height and 85" circumference. I measured it aired up to 40psi, I will needed to recheck at 10psi, sorry.

This tire has a nice round profile which is very similar to the OEM tire.

Handles normal on tar and gravel. This thing blasts through the deep snow, I was not expecting that.
Excellent handling on road even though it is not balanced yet. I will be adding Ride-On when the temp is warmer (15f and snowing here today)
Lots more noise on road - definitely not a good choice for on road driving because of that.
Gearing - I didn't notice a big change, I am using the OEM gearing. With the larger tire, stock gearing is more usable for gravel road / dirt driving. I liked the change over the factory gearing. I have an open muffler and re-jetted.

The only modification was trimming the plastic chain guard a little, other than that, it just slipped right in.

Now I understand the HUGE traction improvement over the stock tire.

Kickstand optional:

New Germany, MN

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
My quest for an "Air Optional" TW200 continues.

I found a front tire that should be as close to run flat as one can get.

The Kenda K270 in 4.50-18 is a 6ply (part number 042701858C0) with a load rating of 365lbs and max pressure of 40psi. That tire should have super stiff side walls.
Kenda Tire | Powersports | K270 Dual Sport

Anyone have experience with that one?

Also, I now see they make a K787 EQUILIBRIUM DOT approved which is also 4.5-18 6ply, but more aggressive tread and twice the price as the K270.
Kenda Tire | Powersports | Equilibrium

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts