TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, lets meet the players:

The visiting Team 200: Admiral, ejfranz, TWScoob, TWejfranze, XTSquirrel and DT200ejfranz

Home Team: Rocky, Rutty, Sandy, whoops, Single and Two-track.

This will be a very tough competition between two very determined teams to fight it out for the next three days.

Mrs. Admiral is up nord spending time with the college girls so I was on my own. I think I did pretty well food wise. Italian Sweet Cream coffee creamer and a mason jar of um...a refreshing apple-roundup apple juice type after ride back healing drink. (Thank you Joemama name for the idea at the Boonville gather last year).

After day 1 ride I did make mention of how uneven the ground was. Could be the enhanced Apple-Roundup contributed to the uneven ground effect.:D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Popcorn ready.... i'm betting on the visiting team (but i bet it was a close fight with many good punches landed by the home team)

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1st Inning

We hit the ground running swiftly after the first pitch

Team 200 during pregame warmups

TWejfranz and ejfranz heading to the batters box

Team Owyhee Front threw us a curveball when it came to the weather. We put too much temperature protection on and after a brisk run to first base we needed to shed some of this clothing.

Safe at first. We made it to our initial destination. I've been here a few times. The only difference now is the lack of Juniper Tree's behind me. The BLM has contracted to have thousands of Juniper Tree's removed/cut down for Sage Grouse (a bird) habitat. Apparently, with warmer temperatures for many years, Juniper Tree's have expanded and taken over much of the sagebrush ground. Juniper tree's soak up much more water than sagebrush and the sagebrush are dying off. The sagebrush is a food and shelter source for the Sage Grouse. I like riding through the tree's but I get it. Thankfully, the tree's are still at the spring and make for a good picture.

Old rock building foundation next to the spring.

We then steal second base and ride down to an old miners cabin area.

Because of some disturbance in the outfield (apparently a naked lady was chasing the stadium mascot around trying to get a kiss) we decided to take a short break here.

After play resumed, we got some timely hits and easily made it to 3rd base at an old but still in use cowboy cabin owned by the Joyce Ranch. 1865 ? Joyce Livestock Company* ? Sinker Creek | Owyhee Cattlemen's Association. https://goidaho.com/joyce-ranch/

They welcome folks to use the cabin. It's been several years since I've last visited the cabin and I think it's in better shape than in the past. This place is fairly easy to get too and I'm so happy it's been well taken care of and not vandalized by moto-recreationists. This is on the Joyce Ranch Property and keeping places like this in good condition by users, allows us continued use to ride across their property.

There was even a couple cans of beer waiting for us should we have needed it. We passed on the beer as it's not a good idea to run the bases after drinking adult carbonated beverages.

ejfranz sneaks into the Owyhee Fronts dugout to see if we can find any team game plans. Didn't find anything useful

There is a very nice Yogi Berra and Booboo picnic table for us to use for a quick Scooby Snack.

Nice old corral. I think this was Team Owyhee's bull pen for relief pitching.

From here we easily round 3rd base and know we've scored a couple runs.

Final Score after the 1st Inning. I think I can safely say

Team 200 - 2
Team Owyhee Front - 0

Sneak Preview of Inning number 2

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Popcorn ready.... i'm betting on the visiting team (but i bet it was a close fight with many good punches landed by the home team)

It was a battle for sure. I don't want to give up the final score but I can easily say we did not hold Team Owyhee scoreless! :eek:

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In order for all of us to maybe become a member of a winning team, perhaps you could share with us the recipe for the apple roundup.
Mrs. Admiral does most of the cooking so I'll have to find out from her what recipe she used. The recipes can vary greatly but the effects are usually the same.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Some more pictures of our first day.
IMG_20180209_120536.jpg
Home for the weekend. Admirals hootch only lasted the first night and he did share a bit of it. The Recipe needs to be shared as it is like drinking apple pie! :toothy10:
IMG_20180209_125130.jpg
Tiddy Springs
IMG_20180209_131131.jpg
First Cabin
IMG_20180209_140320.jpg IMG_20180209_140327.jpg
For those of you who have ridden with me, you will know I cannot resit a hill climb. Kris and I separated for a bit as I climbed a rutted path that continued to this lookout. Kris took a different path thinking it would connect, but never did and we met a bit later near where we separated.

We are part way through the first day with much more terrain to cover. Sunset is hours away.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some more pictures of our first day.
I was hoping you'd jump in with your pictures.

Nice picture.

I believe the snow covered peaks we see are from right to left: Extreme right is War Eagle, Turntable and Hayden Peaks. I think Cinnabar is behind Hayden (not seen) and Quicksilver Peak is out of the picture to the left behind a hill we see closer (Lead or Red Mtns.).

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I was hoping to entice Admiral into climbing to the snow level to see which is better in the snow: Duro Power Grip or the Ceros?

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
TW200 Season Opener 2nd Inning Need Some Singles Reynolds Overlook

2nd Inning in the afternoon of the 1st day.

The plan was to ride a variety of trails to an overlook in Reynolds Creek Canyon. We found some neat trails to ride on the way and on the return to the dugout. Hope you enjoy this as much as we did riding. Note: Batteries in my camera died and I switched to my backup camera. I didn't know it at the time but I had accidentally switched it to 720P so the picture is not as crisp but once you get used to it you'll forget all about the fuzziness. ...I hope!

Trying to build on the momentum we had in the 1st inning, ejfranz and I started pounding out some singles to get things going

In this inning, Team Owyhee Front sent their whole team out to mount a strong defense: Rocky, Rutty, Sandy, whoops, Single and Two-track

With a new twist in Team Owyhee Front, the going was slow yet fun to start the inning

However, we were able to start legging out some doubles (as the sage brush crowd cheered us on)

...and we scored big time (an overlook at Reynolds Creek Canyon)

Not 1 but 2 runs came across in the inning

Though we were down to just 1 out left in the inning, we didn't let up. Team Owyhee Front's Sandy and Rocky tried real hard to stop us.

With time running out in the inning, we had no choice but to head back to the dugout for the night

With what I think was a very good first and second inning behind us, it was time to start relaxing (thanks to ejfranz's propane campfire)

I think we were both a little wore out and sore so we went to the trainer (refrigerator) and let the healing begin!

Final Score after 2 Innings

Team 200 4, Team Owyhee 0

Heading into tomorrow and the 3rd inning we know we have our work cut out for us and even with a 4-0 lead, we can't take anything for granted.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My Pics of the end of Day 1

A short Video of Admiral doing some easy whoops

Our Final Destination for the day.
IMG_20180209_163515.jpg

IMG_20180209_163525.jpg

IMG_20180209_163544.jpg

IMG_20180209_163617.jpg

IMG_20180209_164437.jpg

The Video that Kris has of the large Sand wash does not due justice to how loose it was. The Duro and Ceros did quick work of it, but it was loose.
By the time we got back to camp, I was frozen, I did not take the time to put back on the clothes that was shed earlier in the day and as the sun went down we were blasting back along the pavement and my teeth were starting to chatter.
Great day of riding and as it was our first we pushed to get in as much as we could before the sun set.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A short Video of Admiral doing some easy whoops

Our Final Destination for the day.

The Video that Kris has of the large Sand wash does not due justice to how loose it was. The Duro and Ceros did quick work of it, but it was loose.
By the time we got back to camp, I was frozen,
Great day of riding and as it was our first we pushed to get in as much as we could before the sun set.
Again I'm glad you took some pitchers. I have no idea why my camera remained hidden in my pocket.

With the video in full screen, it actually looks like I know what I'm doing riding in the whoops. This "fresh know what I'm doing" look will diminish greatly in an upcoming inning . Looking back, 35 water crossings wasn't as difficult as the 10,000 whoops we'll encounter. I didn't leave the footage out but had to shorten the video as there were so many and other fun parts which didn't include those evil Team Owyhee Front Whoops. :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts