TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

TW shift speeds

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Ken 
#1 ·
My owners manual says that the 4-5 shift speed is 25 mph. It seems like my bike likes to be around 30 to 35 mph to shift to 5th gear. It sounds better in 4th and doesn't seem to bog into 5th at the higher speed.
This is my 1st new bike. I only have about 300 miles on it.
Is something wrong?
Please drop a related comment to ease my mind or alert me to visit my dealership.

#3 ·
25 sounds low to me for 5th gear on a new bike with stock gearing. Without a tachometer, we have to rely on our ears and the feel of the bike for shifting points. It’s not good to lug these little air cooled engines, and over-revving is even worse. Your ears will let you know the happy medium. Cheers

#7 ·
My owners manual says that the 4-5 shift speed is 25 mph.......
Sure, going downhill and not trying to accelerate! :mad: Rubbish! Now, it is true that once the engine is fully broken in around 2,000 miles you can go up to nearly 55 before shifting to 5th if you are trying to accelerate into faster moving traffic, 30 to 35 is good until then, gradually increasing it. As said, your ear is your best tachometer. If the bike will not take substantial throttle upon shifting and sounds like it's laboring (lugging), you are too early. If the engine sounds like it's about to come apart you are too late. Most people never get this engine anywhere near redline (9,500) for just that reason...it already sounds like exploding at 8,500! However, people who commute daily in 65-70 mph traffic do that all the time and the engine is none the worse for wear. (well, just a little bit, they only get maybe 35,000 miles instead of 40,0000.) :p

#8 ·
Generally I'm shifting to 5th around 35/40, but will often take 4th closer to 40/45 before going into 5th and it feels great. I've got about 1,200 miles on mine so far, and it feels right at home around that spot for in-town riding. 25 feels bogged down like crazy—so that seems like rubbish to me as well. I'm on board with using your ears and feelers.

Reactions: Ken and SanDue
#13 ·
I understand FINALLY how to shift from 1st gear to 6th, ahhh I meant 5th gear, but what's with down shifting? I'll try and explain what happened but I'm not going to answer any why questions, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm riding solo, feeling kinda hot roddy, I'm flying low around 55 mph. There is no one else on the highway but a goof ball. I notice I'm approaching a stop sign in the distance. All of the sudden I get this lame idea to stop as fast as I can at the sign. Not yet, not yet, ------ now! I brake hard and down shift rapidly, stoping right on the cross walk bars. Dang, these bikes do stop quick. Then the bike stalls. Every time I pull these pranks I pay some sort of price. Again, why is not the discussion. Push the start button the bike turns over but fails to start. I push the bike off the highway and proceed to wear the battery to zip in short order. I'm well known in the community and there will be someone along fairly soon and will recognize me and stop so it's important that I get this bike restarted right away as in pronto. I try the push and no start until I was to tired to do the run and jump. There was a long hill I could coast down about a quarter mile in the distance which I pushed the bike to. I rolled the bike down the hill and it started easily with a bump and off I went. Every day I learn something even if it's not to do it. Evidently these bikes can stop to fast, we got that going for us. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

#14 ·
I understand FINALLY how to shift from 1st gear to 6th, ahhh I meant 5th gear, but what's with down shifting? I'll try and explain what happened but I'm not going to answer any why questions, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm riding solo, feeling kinda hot roddy, I'm flying low around 55 mph. There is no one else on the highway but a goof ball. I notice I'm approaching a stop sign in the distance. All of the sudden I get this lame idea to stop as fast as I can at the sign. Not yet, not yet, ------ now! I brake hard and down shift rapidly, stoping right on the cross walk bars. Dang, these bikes do stop quick. Then the bike stalls. Every time I pull these pranks I pay some sort of price. Again, why is not the discussion. Push the start button the bike turns over but fails to start. I push the bike off the highway and proceed to wear the battery to zip in short order. I'm well known in the community and there will be someone along fairly soon and will recognize me and stop so it's important that I get this bike restarted right away as in pronto. I try the push and no start until I was to tired to do the run and jump. There was a long hill I could coast down about a quarter mile in the distance which I pushed the bike to. I rolled the bike down the hill and it started easily with a bump and off I went. Every day I learn something even if it's not to do it. Evidently these bikes can stop to fast, we got that going for us. Dirts a Flyen SanDue
Dan has issues, what can I say? haha
I remember one time riding down from Mt. Spokane with Dan and Sue and all of a sudden his bike poops out. I'm riding rear guard so I slow down with him as he heads off the road coasting. He's puzzled and can't figure out why. I glance over and see that his kill switch is off.

Enough said. Dan IS the problem. 🤪

Just love those guys to pieces though... (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.