TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my boys were small I always wanted to get me an old BMW 250 and mount a sidecar on it. Unfortunately I never did, and they are now grown men. Even my grandkids are grown men already for that matter.

Be that as it may, upon seeing a trailered up TW I always wanted to try that too, never did so far. Then the thought of a sidecar rig came to me again. Though I think there's enough of power with the stock gearing I'm not sure the frame would take the gaff of a sidecar. Then again I am not talking long distance touring here and no huge loads. It's just a novelty ride to make occasional beer and bread runs, and with your wife in their for ballast occasionally on the fast right turns hehehe...

Has anyone ever set up a sidecar rig for their TW??

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Given all the various tweaks and modifications people have done to the lowly TW I think it is really cool that they have also been dedicated to sidecar duty. If they are strong enough to handle it, why not?

I discovered several examples of TW sidecar setups in my searching, and it seems like there is no shortage of them. I'm surprised and pleased that the frames are apparently robust enough to take the strain and stress of a sidecar. What's more, I know a really good welder, fabricator, and machinist that is always looking for something to tinker with. I'm sure he'd help me put together a home built rig just for kicks. He even has a lot of the necessary pieces and materials kicking around.

Loghousenut, you suggest I try a Ural. Given an opportunity I would, just to see what the rigged ride is like. However, I'm not interested in buying a sidecar rig like the Ural for extensive use. It's the economy and reliability of the TW that draw me to it for sidecar use rather than a more substantial, more costly machine.

My interest is more curiosity than anything. I like the idea of having a TW rigged with a sidecar as a novelty ride. The sky's the limit, really. I could use it for winter riding maybe, hauling kids or pets around, packing firewood from the bush to the woodpile in the fall, cooling off in the evening, or even taking the wife out for a picnic ride and a swim. Whatever. Who knows, maybe I could get her to pilot the thing. I'd follow up behind her riding solo on my own TW. What the hey, we're old and retired...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Go for it man.
If it's just for fun with no plans of logging high miles or high speed it should be a great project and a somewhat useful and entertaining result. Now that you have the cb500x, the tw can lend some of it's time to superfluous things.
I briefly have thought about a sidecar for the tw or the klr I once owned, but never did anything about it.
My riding buddy has no shortage of bikes or money. He is on his third or forth Ural. He rides it all winter in the snow or ice and uses it for errands in the summer if buying more than can fit on his Africa Twin. He commonly states that with a sidecar you get the worst of both the car world and bike world. Turning is terrible because you can't lean like a motorcycle, it sucks all of your power and speed due to weight and wind resistance, and you're still exposed to the elements. But yet he rides his a lot. He says turning gets more entertaining after you are comfortable "flying the monkey", but I'm not sure how many times a home-built hack on a TW frame can take that force.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts