TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you loft front wheel?Can't say I've ever wheelied my TW, but never tried very hard. Fear futility and clutch abuse.
Bought her new in 03 , California model , stock jetting, figured it was futile with 200cc, almost 300 lbs and over 5000 ft elevations. Figured she was average TW,13 hp.

Now I read here about you folks wheeling here and there and wonder if my TWMistress is a little underpowered or I am a little underskilled. I'ld like to pop wheel over surprise trail obstacles , ledges and logs at will without bunnyhopping but always figured my girl would never have enough torque. My off road gearing should help abit. 13tooth/55tooth and 27"atv tire vs. stock 14/50 and 26" tire yeilds an approximate net 14 percent increase in final drive ratio (14 percent lower gearing). Swingarm length is stock. I think it should wheelie if could get a little crisper trottle response. What do you think? What am I missing other than a Mikuni TM28-1 and/ or more agressive clutch technique? Plug inspection shows appropriate tan color, not too rich nor lean.

Been looking for Mikuni flat side pumper carb as solution but can't seem to locate one in US. :BangHead:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Without carb and gearing changes your only hope for raising the front wheel is using the clutch or really loading up the front forks and yanking it up. With your gearing you should have no problem getting the wheel up in first gear with a little technique.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Wheelie a TW?? Kids nowadays lol. I like mine planted on two, just poking down the road taking it all in. After retirement you realize you have to slow down to enjoy what you missed being in a hurry along the way.

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I'm not trying to be wild, just want to make sure I' m not missing out on TW's capability to safely get me there and back by being able climb over stuff slowly in control rather than hitting at speed to bounce wheel over. I thought maybe mine was underpowered relative to average TW. Never really dissapointed with performance of bike

Reactions: fandango

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mine as you all no is a 125, I can wheely it but to be quet frank I'm asking the bike to do something it's not happy doing.

With the bike rolling at 5mph, clutch in, full revs and dump the clutch will lift the front easy enough to lift the front wheel in to a wheely. But as stated it's not happy doing it and it's too much abuse so I don't do it.

Now my k1 gsxr1000 would wheely at 140mph in third with me stood up? but that is not realy relivent :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey, I'm not trying to be wild, just want to make sure I' m not missing out on TW's capability to safely get me there and back by being able climb over stuff slowly in control rather than hitting at speed to bounce wheel over. I thought maybe mine was underpowered relative to average TW. Never really dissapointed with performance of bike
i understand your post,it's like driving a trials bike. thoes guys climb over everything at low speed ,poping a wheely is standard procedure for obstacles and turning in close quarters.thoes are specialty bikes but some of their techniques can be addaped to ourbikes.

·
Registered
13,806 Posts
Here are a couple wheelie video's on a TW. This fella use to be a TW forum member. He got in a bad accident a couple of years ago, and when he recovered, he moved to a different bike. ...But he did show us that wheelies on a TW can be done.

I've done some accidental wheelies, but never really try it on purpose. I think gregor says it about right.

Reactions: ~LARGO~ and Fred

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

Oops! 205'd by the Admiral :eek:

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks guys, nice to hear occassional postings of wheelies not all B.S. Seems my bike's power is about average as I thought, no worries. Just wanted to make sure my bag of tricks was well stocked for when I ask TW to attempt trials-like moves while exploring rough stuff. While not pretty my technique gets me up and over alot of stuff if I can just unload suspension a bit and let rotational momentum help carry me over.Get front end up first then feed enough power to clear. Wet 10" angled logs accross trail like alittle fineese more than brute force approach.

Admiral, thanks for videos, enjoyed associated video of Argo rescue of TW. Unlike Skippy and his 125cc submarine I fear swamps and bottomless bogs. Maybe why I live on edge of dessert?

Wildcat, you understand situation perfectly, thanks.

Admiral's video link has excellant videos of Rubicon Trail , typical Sierra terrain. Am planning return rides there this summer 2014, wanna come? Would love to meet and share adventures with TW fans here or elsewhere. Maybe you have a favorite sandbox we could play in instead?
Happy Trails !

Reactions: Tirebiter

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks guys, nice to hear occassional postings of wheelies not all B.S. Seems my bike's power is about average as I thought, no worries. Just wanted to make sure my bag of tricks was well stocked for when I ask TW to attempt trials-like moves while exploring rough stuff. While not pretty my technique gets me up and over alot of stuff if I can just unload suspension a bit and let rotational momentum help carry me over.Get front end up first then feed enough power to clear. Wet 10" angled logs accross trail like alittle fineese more than brute force approach.

Admiral, thanks for videos, enjoyed associated video of Argo rescue of TW. Unlike Skippy and his 125cc submarine I fear swamps and bottomless bogs. Maybe why I live on edge of dessert?

Wildcat, you understand situation perfectly, thanks.

Admiral's video link has excellant videos of Rubicon Trail , typical Sierra terrain. Am planning return rides there this summer 2014, wanna come? Would love to meet and share adventures with TW fans here or elsewhere. Maybe you have a favorite sandbox we could play in instead?
Happy Trails !
Haha submarine? Do there airboxes flood also? Haha

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
If you weigh 300 pounds, unless you are really, really short, or too lazy to slide your butt back, wheelies should be easy at any speed with a weight shift and a tug on the bars. A little adrenaline from getting yourself in a situation where a wheelie is required to avoid a trip to the emergency room also helps. Tdub amazed several people following with her ability to stand straight up and carry across 30 feet of deep ruts in dried mud left by a herd of trucks crossing the road at a 45* angle. The KTM right behind Tdub and the Husky behind him, both "former professional desert racers", ate it. Everyone else got stopped. I've been rubbing in the fact that since the other riders were professionals, and I am strictly an amateur, obviously the TW200 is a far superior motorcycle to a KTM 450 or Husky 510. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Gee qwerty, I was trying to imply bike weighed weighed about 300lbs, not me. I am more like 190lbs on a good day when full of hot air. Guess my post was ambiguous.
Otherwise thanks for good technique advice and positive effect of vitamin adrenalin. Liked the rut story.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Oh, sorry about that. Lighter riders have to shift weight a little further and tug a little harder. Coincide those with 7000rpm and a sharp twist of the throttle and she'll go over backwards in any of the first 3 gears. A little fork rebound and rapid take-up of driveline slack also help, and spare the clutch.

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whatdayaknow, she wheelies! And without clutch abuse! Didn 't even have to put on alot of weight to make qwerty's technique work! Thanks qwerty and others for good technique advice. Hoestly I appreciate how you all try to give detailed explainations on this forum to help others. Years ago I visited here while some flaming ego wars were happening and I dismissed TWForum as just more bloggosphere dribble. Glad I returned.

Reactions: TW-Brian

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Like you said, there used to be all kinds of flaming ego wars here, but now, it's turned into a pretty nice place with lots of good folks who are more than willing to help others. I like it here.

Whatdayaknow, she wheelies! And without clutch abuse! Didn 't even have to put on alot of weight to make qwerty's technique work! Thanks qwerty and others for good technique advice. Hoestly I appreciate how you all try to give detailed explainations on this forum to help others. Years ago I visited here while some flaming ego wars were happening and I dismissed TWForum as just more bloggosphere dribble. Glad I returned.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you can get past the commentator, this is a good video that I used to help with larger logs. You really want to use a combination of the wheelie and your "brute force" approach instead of wheeling your front tire over the log. You want to wheelie just over the midline of the log and let the front tire hit and bump the back up as you cross over.

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Nice tutorial,thanks. Just add a lil' bunny hop maneuver before to compensate for TW's milder torque.time first hit to coincide with rebounding suspension from bunny hop and you're well on your way.used to be called pre jumpin if I recall. Or I sbould just avoid log and stop trying to.make poor.loyal tw act like enduro.beast....Thank You Surfrider.

P.S. This is a really helpful forum frequented by some of nicest people. Help +Humor+Inspiration. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts