TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my follies are becoming a regular feature here on the technical forum. Really appreciate all the expertise here.

I did the ultimate in foolishness recently by leaving the ignition on overnight. So, I took out the battery and hooked it up to a "Battery Tender Jr." When it was hooked up, the red light went on, signaling it was doing its job.

I left that hooked up overnight, then replaced the battery and tried to fire up the TW. Still nothing.

Found this in another post and am going to try to look into it. Don't know much about it, but ...

There is also a fuse link on your positive lead coming from your battery that could be blown. When i bought

mine the guy said the starter doesn't work and he didn't know why. He said it may just need a new battery.

When i got it home i could tell the battery was brand new so i checked the fuse and that was my problem. Luckily

it had a spare in the fuse holder.

Thanks for any input! ... Deldog

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not sure you can charge a dead battery with a battery tender. I think they're made to prevent the battery from going dead while not in use. Do you have a voltmeter? If so, check the battery voltage. You can also try jump starting it with jumper cables. Good luck.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The fuse is on the right side behind the owner's tool kit, follow the red battery cable to it. I would check that first but I think you will find that is not the issue.

The stock battery isn't the greatest and when mine died I could not get any charger to recharge it enough to start the bike. They all said they had charged it but a multimeter showed it only had 8 volts not 12. I would bet that your battery is now toast. I got lucky and a local dealership had one in stock that they filled and charged for me so it was ready when I picked it, due to postal regulations most batteries are now shipped empty with a packet of acid mix and you have to fill and charge the battery yourself. If you need a new one try to call around and find a place that has it and will do that for you.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Take IMMGUNN'S advice.

Check the voltage of the battery.

The Deltran Battery Tenders require at least 3 volts for them to begin charging.

If your battery has less than the required 3 volts, the charger will not do anything at all.

Hook up another battery in parallel to jump start the engine, or just so the changer senses more than 3 volts.

Jb

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much, guys. I forgot to mention that this battery is maybe 3 months old.

So, I'm going to pick up a voltmeter and see what that says. I used a "Battery Tender Jr." One of the other models, a "Battery Tender Plus," says it will charge a dead battery. It's $70, though. Not sure I want to try that ...

Well, lesson learned. Hope I can get this fixed and back on the road soon. I just moved, so I have many miles of fresh roads awaiting!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I try to be very careful about jumping a small battery (TW) from a large battery (my truck). The same goes for a small battery charger (small batteries), my shop charger on wheels (large batteries). Something you may want to try to get you through is hooking up jumpers between say the TW and your 4 wheel vehicle- but don't try to start anything. Just let them set that way for an hour or so. Then you can hook up the Battery Tender that you have and (hopefully) finish the job.

All that said, it's always a good idea to have a DMM (digital multimeter)around.

BTW this is all worse with fuel injection, on my F800, it the computer doesn't "see" 9.2 volts, the battery may as well be missing. Good luck'

OM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Omega. Here's my plan.

1. Get a multimeter and check for voltage.

2. If no voltage, I'll try your trick of hooking up to truck for an hour, then letting the tender take over.

3. If I do have voltage, then the problem is elsewhere, correct?

Thank you again for your help. Really appreciate it. ... Deldog

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks, Omega. Here's my plan.

1. Get a multimeter and check for voltage.

2. If no voltage, I'll try your trick of hooking up to truck for an hour, then letting the tender take over.

3. If I do have voltage, then the problem is elsewhere, correct?

Thank you again for your help. Really appreciate it. ... Deldog
Yeah, you pretty much have it. If you are going to buy a DMM, I can recommend the Radio Shack 22-813 but any DMM will work.

A really old trick on an obvious check of a batteries condition is to turn the key on, see the head lamp on, watch what happens when you hit the electric starter button. If the headlamp goes out, it usually means the battery is weak. There is an exception to this test in that sometimes a starter can be so bad it draws too much current and still doesn't start the engine.

I have a feeling that when you get a charge into the battery, things will be better. It's good to remember that lead acid batteries really don't like being stone dead.

BTW I just learned that Exide, a US battery maker just filed chapter 11 after losing the Walmart contract- for those interested.

OM

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've brought motorcycle batteries back from the dead using a wall wart Battery Tender, so you're fine there. They charge at maybe 1 amp max so it's safe. They're also computer controlled. Once the light is green, the battery should make the TW200 turn over at the starter.

So is the starter turning or not? I'm not sure I got that information. If it's not, investigate the fuse. If it is turning, maybe just keep on a trying

I'm not sure what year your bike is.. Mine has a kick starter and that's an option, haha. And, there's always bump starting which is a crowd pleaser.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, all. Well, looks like my battery is indeed dead. There's a lesson for me, of course -- don't leave the ignition on overnight. However, there's also something for everyone to learn.

I went to Advance Auto parts to pick up a multimeter, and before I paid, the guy behind the counter said they test batteries for free. Sweet! I stuck the multimeter back on the shelf and returned the next day to have my battery tested. Saved $20+ bucks. The guy even put the dead battery on their charger overnight, but no luck.

Picked up a new battery, filled it with electrolyte, and charging it now. Can't wait to get back in the saddle. Thanks to all for the help.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Good call on the dead battery - a comment on the engine spinning over - if the battery is weak - and you are spinning the engine over it will not be happy about starting because the starter motor is drawing all the energy from the battery and there is very little left to excite the ignition and fire the spark plug.
I changed the battery in another bike this summer - a Suzuki Savage (S40) and cannot believe how easily it now starts with the new battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts