TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Baby Tdubs was surging terribly at specific throttle position (anout 1/3 to 1/2) unless really hot, so I sprayed some carb cleaner on the outside for diagnostics and boom! The revs change! Turned out to be loose throttle shaft causing air leak a. I already have a new carb on order (turns out to be cheaper - 70$ vs 200$ - than sending it to a specialized company which will machine new bushings etx) but is there a way to fix it temporarily by adjusting the mixture etc? I turned the pilot screw out about 2 turns from lightly seated but it helped only a little bit. Thanks for answers in advance

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I'd go a bit farther out on the pilot screw. Usually the sweet spot is 2 1/2 or more. A strong dose of some gas treatment in with a full tank of gas works well once in a while too. Make sure the air filter is clean.

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd go a bit farther out on the pilot screw. Usually the sweet spot is 2 1/2 or more. A strong dose of some gas treatment in with a full tank of gas works well once in a while too. Make sure the air filter is clean.
Thanks! I was afraid I will misadjust the carb entirely and do something that cannot be undonde w/o mechanic's assistance. I'll try to enrich the mixture just a little bit more, after I recuperate from my 24hrs work shift :) But I'm really doubtful any amount of seafoam would fix loose throttle shaft though

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
The Seafoam was just a suggestion for cleaning it up inside a bit, sometimes it really helps with performance. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
it's going to be hard to get it to run nicely over the whole range as the air leak will change as the throttle is turned

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I set the mixture even richer, observing the reaction and well, on hot days it runs like a dream. When the OAT falls below 20C, until the engine heats up, it bogs down and dies under load, also if I place the throttle in the position in which the leak manifests itself, while coasting downhill, it backfires and "sneezes". I'm actually planning to buy another bike - DT125R to be precise, the most popular dual sport where I live - but until then I decided to buy a new, Chinese carb off Ebay for a fraction of price of the new shaft bushings and complete carb rebuild from zero up etc. Also will propably fit new carb boots

1 - 6 of 6 Posts