TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. New to motorcycles and dual sports in specific. Learned a bit about the TW200 and really liked the idea of the low seat, fat tire, light weight, around town and trail bike. Well as I have searched for one locally the last few months I came to learn about the XT250. Obviously has narrower wheels/tires and a bit bigger engine. I'm ready to buy today or tomorrow. One of each has come available in my immediate area. They both have around 4k miles, the TW is an 07, the XT is an 08. They are both clean, The XT is extremely clean. What are your thoughts related to comparing the 2 bikes. Pros and cons. Thanks, Scott.

·
Registered
13,730 Posts
If you're gonna spend more time on pavement than logging roads or trails, I'd get the XT250. Even though I absolutely love my TW, I have to admit, if the XT250 was available when I got my TW, I would be on the XT Forum and not this one. XT225 didn't trip my trigger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're gonna spend more time on pavement than logging roads or trails, I'd get the XT250. Even though I absolutely love my TW, I have to admit, if the XT250 was available when I got my TW, I would be on the XT Forum and not this one. XT225 didn't trip my trigger.
Thanks for the input. Probably should have done a search before posting. I have now found a few good links with info but if anyone has some experience to share still appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although I don't have any experience on the XT250 outside of sitting on a few, I do have both an XT225 and a TW200. It really comes down to the riding you want to do.

On the street the XT225 outclasses the TW pretty easily. In the deep sugar sand of southern NJ, or in the mud, the TW inspires a shocking amount of confidence compared to the XT225. In situations where I'd be putting a foot down, struggling for traction, or washing out the front tire, the TW just soldiers right through it. To be fair, I do have 50/50 tires on the XT 225.

There is plenty of info online comparing the two. If you plan on doing a good amount of street riding, the XT250 is probably a better bet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
fandango, do you want to trade because the carb is giving you problems? In my case, a fellow forum member came over and in lass that a half hour had my poorly running 2014 running like a top !
What worked was a 130 main jet, two needle shims, and adjusting the idle air screw. I am at less than 1000 feet. You can get your Dub running! No trades needed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
fandango, do you want to trade because the carb is giving you problems? In my case, a fellow forum member came over and in lass that a half hour had my poorly running 2014 running like a top !
What worked was a 130 main jet, two needle shims, and adjusting the idle air screw. I am at less than 1000 feet. You can get your Dub running! No trades needed.
I really like fuel injection. .. i had a 2008 tw 200 not sure what the dealer did but it ran like a raped date. My 2014 only has 90 miles on it but runs no where near my 2008... i wish a forum member could do that for my bike he'll I would even pay him. . Any takers? I'm in long island... still think the xt250 would he better for street use ..

·
Registered
264 Posts
I really like fuel injection. .. i had a 2008 tw 200 not sure what the dealer did but it ran like a raped date. My 2014 only has 90 miles on it but runs no where near my 2008... i wish a forum member could do that for my bike he'll I would even pay him. . Any takers? I'm in long island... still think the xt250 would he better for street use ..
Keep in mind that at 90 miles you are still at the "break in" stage of the engine. It may take a couple thousand miles for the rings to fully seat and conform to the cylinder. You should gain more power after more miles. There may also be some benefit to tuning the carb.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
fandango......definetly rejet , plenty of threads on here for that......it is not difficult , just alittle time consuming . BUT ,is an XT250 , be it FI or carbed going to be faster ,have a bit more torque , yes . Your choice in the end.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If I was in the market for an entry-level small-displacement street bike, I would put the newer FI XT250 near the top of the list.

Still, the XT is pretty low-end as a streetable dirt bike from the standpoints of both suspension and power. Bottom line, the XT is nothing special

The TW is no KTM EXC, but it doesn't pretend to be either. The TW IS something special. It's different, it's quirky, and it's ridiculously fun to ride on and off road. You could have 10 bikes in your garage, but if 1 of them isn't a TW then you won't have anything like a TW. There is no other bike quite like it.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
This is your first bike, not your last. A TW is a terrible beginner bike as its massive traction will prevent a newbie from ever learning what to do when there is no traction. Go with the XT, later trade for a TW and a street bike. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree the tw definitely looks cooler then the xt250. The xt250 looks a little geeky. I ride most on pavement. I had many bikes 3 with fuel injection. . They seem to be better for me. I wish I was mechanical y inclined just am not sadly... lol on that note my chain is loose the dealer didn't tighten it right .. i noticed I had to adjust the clutch on my own to as they had no free play in it and it was letting out at the end of the lever..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts