TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ridden there TW200 in the dunes? We're heading to Glamis next week and while we normally take the quads I was considering taking the TW as well. I have little experience riding two wheels in sand and am wondering if the fat tires and little power would help or hurt me in the soft stuff. Let me know. Thanks!

BTW I haven't even ridden the quad since buying the TW almost a year ago.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Depends on the nature and water content of the sand. Sand sucks horsepower. If you can get enough speed to float on the sand you'll be okay. otherwise, you'll work really hard.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've tried mine in the creek with lots of sand and gravel, not so good. Take ur quad, much more fun in sand and gravel.....

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you have room take it, wheres the harm in that. It will keep the gremlins at bay, if it stinks in the sand just swap it out for the quad.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have only ridden a few feet in soft sand, It was going up a 4 foot wash. I stopped with the front wheel buried, and tipped over.

Decided to find another way around that part. Anyone one tried the paddle tires on it.

I thought I would try it once in the sand just to get educated on it.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Don't know that any paddle tires are available to fit a TW.

Secret to soft sand is to keep the front tire on top, either by pulling a constant wheelie or by planing across the surface with speed. No small bike low on power does really well in sand.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've ridden A LOT in the sand dunes on dirt bikes and have ridden / owned the following in the dunes: 3 CR500s, 2 KX500s, 1 KTM 550, & 1 ATC 250R converted to a 2-wheeler. As you can tell by my experience with the dirt bikes, they ALL are big bore 2-strokes, meaning A LOT of rear wheel HP & wheel spin. This is necessary for dune riding.

Unfortunately, the TW200 is lacking in HP & wheel spin. The TW would be a good bike to cruise the camps in the flats, but not in the dunes.

I recently rode the TW in sand washes out by Four Peaks (NE of Phoenix Az) and had trouble riding in the sand, as there is not enough power. (I have a lot of dirt bike sand riding experience) The faster you can go the better, but you can still 'wash out' the front end. I wouldn't have had that problem if I had 20+ more HP with the TW.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I rode mine in some deep sand down in Moab, UT. It was not much fun. Second gear and it would bog the motor and first gear it wanted to dig in and get stuck. It was kind of fun looking back now, but at the time I was hot, tired and hungry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts