TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing kick start, now at the point that of putting clutch back together. Big problem with the four bolts and springs, directions say to torque to 4.3 foot pounds, but they break before getting close to that. What are we doing wrong.
Thanks Steve

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
Hi Steve,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Obviously this torque is too much, have you actually broken bolts or the posts on the inner clutch basket?

Where is this torque spec of 4.3 foot pounds called out?

Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having an issue and wondering about the torque on the clutch springs. What are the 2 columns to the left? Where can I find the torque chart you referenced?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the picture. I just didn't look very closely. I have the service manual and skipped right over that page

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for posting that picture @elime, got the 4.2 FT-Lbs out of the service manual also, that's why we thought we had to go that far. Brand new torque wrench that i bought just for this install! So hope its not the torque wrench....:mad:
Got the blots to close to 4.2, worried if i go much tighter i will snap the heads of the screw off again, thinking my son messed with the center nut maybe? and the push rod is now out of wack??? The clutch does not move back and forth like it did before and when you pull the clutch handle it is like squeezing air, no resistance and no movement from the clutch pressure plate at all. So not sure how to go about adjusting or trouble shooting the issue at this point...All help and ideas are appreciated!!
@TWilight I'm actually working on this install in Seattle, I try and make it over to the Wenatchee area whenever I can escape the big city, which isn't often as I like!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I vote the ball bearing between the end of the push rod and the adjuster is located somewhere under your tool box and not where it belongs......

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I vote the ball bearing between the end of the push rod and the adjuster is located somewhere under your tool box and not where it belongs......
So I am still a little confused....
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag98/skipro33/TW200/kickstart6_zpsjm58lkf2.jpg
is the ball bearing that you are referring to go inside behind the whole clutch basket? tried to include a picture of where I think you guys are talking about to be sure....hopefully it worked! Guess I'm confused because there was nothing in the instructions about ball bearings but after more research I have seen some posts mention it and have had 3 people tell me that it might be this ball bearing...If so, anyone know where I can find a picture of what this bearing looks like so I can try and find it? I saw it on the parts website and in the repair manual but i didn't think that i got that far into the clutch. I just removed the basket to put the kick-start gears in...
Again all the help has been much appreciated, you guys are awesome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/18362-more-kickstart-install-info.html
was using this as a guide along with other instructions to do this install, but no mention of this ball bearing either...The problem I thought was that I took the center nut off, missed the part of the instructions where it said not to mess with it! CRAP! messing with that center nut the clutch moves back and forth when pulling the clutch lever, but cant seem to get it right. Thinking now I might have to follow the clutch adjustment part in the repair manual and give the clutch cable slack and that whole process, since i messed with that center nut.....I was able to get the springs torqued to the proper setting though!! now to figure out this ball bearing thing or if I'm just out of adjustment

·
Super Moderator
6,110 Posts
If you look at the clutch arrangement, you will see a rod in the center behind “that” nut. This is the bit that is pushed in when you pull the lever on the handlebars, and separates the clutch plates.

Every multi-plate clutch I have ever had apart, uses a ball bearing in between two rods to make it all work — not being in a position to argue with the Japanese, I just put this inclusion down to the “dark art” of clutches, which they seem to have down to a tee.

It’s steel — ball shaped — and looks just like a ball bearing (not being funny, but there’s no other way to put it)

No ball — means that no matter how much you adjust that center nut (and I feel your pain here) — the clutch will remain firmly engaged.

Good luck …..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I think Im starting to get the picture here. If I lost the ball (part #25) is it safe to assume that I also lost the key straight (part #2)???? Just wondering what parts I should i should order, so far looking like #25, #2?, and a new #3 lock washer!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Adjusting the center nut is easy. The nut is a "lock nut" and the adjusting is done by the screw in the middle.

The lever the clutch cable hooks on to that is on the block is pointed at one end.

The case by the lever has a line cast into it.

If properly adjusted you should be able to twist the lever with your hand until the pointed end aligns with the line cast in the case. Once the pointer points to the line then the clutch springs start to compress and it becomes very difficult.

If they do NOT align then loosen the nut and screw the center screw in or out until then do.

It is really very easy and only has to be close, not exact to work.

clutcha.jpg
P9260023 (2)a.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright Thanks! I am going to give that a shot. I found a replacement ball bearing and lock washer at a local store and figured out that I don't need the #2 straight key! So looks like I will take it all apart and make sure that ball is in there, then put it back together, try that adjustment technique, and hope to be riding tomorrow night!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the TW gods took pity on me and I did not lose the ball bearing! But I am embarrassed to admit that we had the clutch adjusted right, but we were trying to put it in gear with the kickstand down.....:(....So once we tried it with the kickstand up it shifted right down into first no prob. Took it out for a spin and shifted through all the gears just fine! So chock all my worrying up to another rookie mistake!!! haha figures I guess! Anyway now the 2nd kick-starter should be a breeze after all this! Then on to the next mod!
Thanks to everyone for your help and advice, the out pour of support and willingness to help is absolutely amazing! And if anyone stumbles into an issue like mine down the road, feel free to ask me anything and I will try to help out so I can pay it forward for all the help I received! Again really appreciate it, you guys ROCK!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts