TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have not been a very active member here, but I have been a TW owner for about a year now. I thought you might be interested in the adventure I took on my TW.

On May 30, 2017, I left my son's house near Easton, Maryland, headed for Andrews, North Carolina and the beginning of the Trans America Trail.

After four days, I blew a piston and came back home to Lexington, Kentucky, to get the bike repaired. Then because of an illness and other trips, I did not resume the trip until September 3.

I am a beginning off road rider, and I was riding alone. So I did not do the whole TAT, but I did much of it through North Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Colorado. I finally gave up and stuck with the pavement.

On September 25, I made it to Port Orford, Oregon. Then I had to "commute" back home to Lexington, some 2600 miles.

I made it home on October 9. For me, it was a really big adventure.

I kept a blog at another site. I didn't post here because I was a little embarrassed about my lack of experience. Still am. But if you are interested in reading all about it, you can go to my blog at:

http://mickeyanders.blogspot.com

Of course, such blogs are chronological so if you want to start at the beginning, click on the menu at the right and go to the August 31 post and work up from there.

I have enjoyed lurking on this forum for most of this past year and appreciate all that I have learned here. Your expertise was very helpful to me on my trip.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
You Da Man!!

Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
An enjoyable read.
You have done something that I only planned, but never did.

In 1967, after getting orders to South East Asia, with 30 days leave, plus a few days air travel time, I intended to ride a 1967 Honda CB160 from McGuire AFB in New Jersey to the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, but a ride around Long Island ended my ownership, before that trip.

Congrats!!
Double congrats for the round trip!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I love it. You did this amazing journey on a little fat tw200 with a milk crate on the rack to carrier gear. Most riders that attempt this trip do it with motorcycles costing thousands of dollars more and much much more power and suspension. Don't kid yourself my friend. You are hardcore. And it doesn't end there. You turned around and rode your bike home. That's amazing. I am very very impressed. Not that you just were able to physically ride this trip but you pushed on when your motor had a major failure and you kept your wits about you. Good for you. I'm going to do this journey myself and I appreciate you writing and posting about it. Did you post about your trip on adventure Rider?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yesterday, no experience. Today, Ewan and Charlie are likely trying to hunt you down for an autograph.
To echo everyone else, good on you for doing what the rest of us think we want to do but likely never will.
I grinned the whole time I was going through your blog. Congrats on the trip and thanks for sharing your adventure!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts