TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, well, I am FINALLY getting close to buying my first TW200. I posted awhile ago about how I want to build a Japanese style Tdub. I feel in love with them when I was in Japan and haven't been able to get them outta my mind. Well, anyway, I take my riders course to get legal this weekend, and then I will be on the hunt for a bike. I am kinda leaning towards buying new, but used would be nice and free up more money for mods.

So far, I understand there are basically two generations of TW200s. First generation bikes had a kick starter and drum brakes, while 2nd generation bikes have elec start and disc brakes. My question is, from say 2001 to 2013 models, are there any significant differences or changes?

If there is a thread that outlines this already, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Bart

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
No. The newer only have disks on the front though. In my opinion, you should go for a 01'-13' and add a $200 kickstarter kit on it if you think you need it. You may be able to find a leftover bike at the dealer and get +-$500 off. I picked up a 2010 last year listed as an 09' for $3600 but with tax, title, taxes, fees and extended warranty it ended up being right around $5500.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
first gen had a kick starter AND electric start. I have a 89 and drum brake works fine but the newer disc is an improvement. You would probably be better off getting the newer ones and adding kick start unless you can find a nice cherry old one. If your going to be pretty much on street and some light trail then kickstart really not needed but if roughing it and some good hard trail riding in the boonies then kick is a must. Good luck which ever way you go and keep looking. Can take awhile to find a nice one.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Maybe get a 2010 or newer so it has the improved base gasket...... If not just carry a shop rag around and wipe off the verrrrrry small amount of oil every 150 miles like I do..(o;. My bike has 9,000 miles and my wife's has over 6,000 miles with very little oil.. I have heard of some guys with puddles of oil on the floor in the morning.......

Welcome to the madness we call T-dub.. OMM.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 06 and a new to me 02, the 02 has only one key for ignition/gas cap and a bigger filler opening in the tank. The 06 is leaking oil around the base gasket, other than that I think they are the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts