TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm new at this Forum and I just started a project to rebuild my '97 TW200. However, I'm running into a problem. The TW doesn't start without a small spray of brake cleaner. When I'm using some, the TW starts and is able to run for 100 meters, the motorcycle accelerates but suddenly the motor begins to malfunction and loud bangs are coming from the exhaust. The TW stumbles and finally the engine dies. After, its hard to get the motor up in running again. The Spark Plug is really black seized but is giving some fine sparks. I think this problem is caused due to too much fuel, so I played around with the air/fuel screw, however this isn't working. I also cleaned the whole carburator 3 times and checked from any damage.
Anybody an idea what I should do to get the TW running?

·
Super Moderator
6,040 Posts
It may be a CDI issue – difficult to diagnose. Check the air filter first, the carb sounds like you’re all over it, correct plug – then if nothing else works, try another comparable CDI in there. Doesn’t have the right CDI, and don’t expect it to perform to any degree – but if the bike behaves differently, you will have found the culprit

Nice set of wheels ……

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be a CDI issue – difficult to diagnose. Check the air filter first, the carb sounds like you’re all over it, correct plug – then if nothing else works, try another comparable CDI in there. Doesn’t have the right CDI, and don’t expect it to perform to any degree – but if the bike behaves differently, you will have found the culprit

Nice set of wheels ……
Thank you for the quick response!
I will look for an universal CDI and I will update the progression. 👍

·
Registered
230 Posts
A previous owner may have screwed around with the jetting in order to make it more powerful but made it too rich in the process, hence the black spark plug. I had this happen on my '99. Once I stuck oem stock jets back inside and took out the shims on the needle it ran much, much better.

Sam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,040 Posts
This is primarily an American board, and they use the TK carb. The jets are not always compatable. However, Keihin jets are readily available

Nothing wrong with them at all, got one on my TW, goes like stink

It's all a matter of knowing what you looking at when ordering spares .....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is primarily an American board, and they use the TK carb. The jets are not always compatable. However, Keihin jets are readily available

Nothing wrong with them at all, got one on my TW, goes like stink

It's all a matter of knowing what you looking at when ordering spares .....
I'm sure that my TW also has a TK Carb, good to know that I have to keep an eye out for the right jet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Nice set of wheels ……
Do you know where I can get a good new CDI for an affordable price?

·
Super Moderator
6,040 Posts

Based in America, but a bit cheaper than the OEM part (and a bit better too by all accounts)

As to an experimental CDI just to prove is is in fact the CDI - no idea

·
Super Moderator
6,040 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,040 Posts
Sounds like your carb has been "added too"

The Keihin carb had that red button as a hot start option, whereby if you dropped the bike and flooded it, pull the button to add more air – once it’s running, release and the spring takes it back in again for normal running

There has been some discussion on here as to whether it could be adapted as a high altitude option, but the spring retraction prevents that – but suppose someone takes the hot start button, and removes the spring – drills out the blank in the TK casting (which exists), and stick it into the TK carb

This would explain many things …..

·
Super Moderator
6,040 Posts
So now you have two possible culprits for your running condition – the CDI or a modified carb

If you put “site tw200forum.com Chinese carb” into your browser, you will find that replacement carbs are cheap if you wish to eliminate this as a possibility …..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like your carb has been "added too"

The Keihin carb had that red button as a hot start option, whereby if you dropped the bike and flooded it, pull the button to add more air – once it’s running, release and the spring takes it back in again for normal running

There has been some discussion on here as to whether it could be adapted as a high altitude option, but the spring retraction prevents that – but suppose someone takes the hot start button, and removes the spring – drills out the blank in the TK casting (which exists), and stick it into the TK carb

This would explain many things …..
Would be possible, but do you think this is causing the running problems? Or do you stick to a CDI problem? I have asked many people and nobody is sure if my TW is suffering from a malfunctioning CDI of Carb.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts