TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a TTR225 or 230 engine in a TeeDub?
Is it a bolt-in swap, or require significant mods?

It seems to be the perfect motor for the modified 2014 TW200 I'm building...70% smooth & paved roads, 30% everything else.

Waddaya think?

·
Super Moderator
4,713 Posts
Direct swap – it’s called a TW225

But …… you’ll need to sort out the output shaft offset – simple enough if you know the right people :cool:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...really appreciate your input!

I read both the threads completely and my mind is blown!
I could easily handle a straight plug & play engine swap, but not much beyond that.

Previous engine upgrades on 850, 900, 2 X 1000 & 1150 hot-street engines were done by a buddy race bike engine builder, with me doing as much of the "easy stuff" as I could (not much!)
He is now in a different business and doesn't do motorcycle work.
Thus my hope that I could do an easy engine swap myself with a larger TW variant, even a 5-speed if necessary.

Maybe I'll just go with a turbo setup, yeah...that's it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
I am very pleased with ease of installation, as well as performance, of my TTR225 6-speed engine in my Betty Boop TW.
I used PlacerLode's output shaft extension rather than split the cases and modify the TW's output shaft.
I would recommend searching for an XT225 motor since they are all kick start compatible while not all the TTR's have the required machining on the right side engine case.

·
Super Moderator
4,713 Posts
Bonus ball (as I understand it) is that you can use the same carb (28mm), albeit with a larger main jet. The bigger engine provides for a wider torque range, and with six gears to choose from, your left foot will be a bit more busy

The air filters are the same for both engines, and only the exhaust valve clearance is different (larger), the inlet remains the same (curiously enough)

I did a comparison test between the TW200 and the TW225 (same engine and frame) which should answer a few questions - https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/20488-sometimes-its-small-things-count.html

Although Yamaha produced the TW225 for the domestic market only, and with the five speed box, it was essentially an XT225 motor implanted in exactly the same frame

As said earlier, the engine is a direct swap – no muss – no fuss

Try it – you won’t be disappointed ……

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
We think you can do this. Especially with the shaft extension which eliminates the machine work, as I understand it.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
^1
I did as TW-Brian explained. So sweet and fairly easy although it caniballises you take-out TW engine to a certain degree.
Flywheel weights were about a pound different and the stator assembly certainly was different between a TTR 223cc engine and a TW 196CCengine.
Imagine an XT orTTR CDI and possibly coil might be required to re-use the TTR flywheel/stator combo.
Either way a left side TW cover is required for a plug-n-play support for the output shaft's outboard bearing unless one is pretty good at fabing up a precision custom bearing support & shield given the available mounting points on an un-modified TTR left engine cover. TTR stock output shaft / sprocket cover is plastic and separate from the left side cover.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Great info, Fred. Makes me think even I could do this. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts