TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I like to fish.

Or rather, I like the idea of fishing. Getting up to a mountain lake or maybe taking a logging road to the mouth of a stream is almost as much fun as the fishing itself. Anyways I was using a Fenwick four piece rod and a Abu Garcia reel only to realize that it was taking up too much space for what I am actually doing.

So I recently invested (?) $40 Cdn in a cheap-ass (am I allowed to say that?) Shakespeare telescoping rod and Zebco 33 micro reel with 4 lb test on it.

That photo is taken on a 12" x 12" tile.

No one is ever around to impress anyways, and I think that the fish are equally miffed on whichever rig I use. I generally thank them for their participation and let them go. Unless they beg to be eaten, and I have a fire going.

Someday, I will fly fish, but I am just not bored enough or stable enough on my ADHD meds to try it yet.

Anyone else use their TWs as an escape to go fishing?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Oh yeah! Up at my elevation, we have mostly trout. You can find yourself some nice Northern Pike...but the trout fishing is WORLD CLASS in South Park! I'd share some pics... but most are taken by a friend and contain my face - don't post those...

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Here's Donzo pulling up at Crater Lake on one of our group rides, have pulled a few trout out of there myself in yers past

I also like the quick deployment a telescoping pole offers. I was given a 3 meter light action one in South America that just fits in a large day pack but have never seem something comparable stateside. Too bad as I would think there would be a market for better quality telescoping rods.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just about 3 weeks since I got my rod and reel and haven't used it yet...

:(

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've been waiting for the free time coupled with good weather to ride myself past Lake George and head into Eleven Mile Canyon for some trout action! I usually fish there in mid-winter when everything else is frozen solid. The turbid water keeps most of the canyon ice-free. In Febuary, I saw so many fresh Otter tracks in the snow I felt like they were watching me! I'll get eyes on them one day...But anyway, here is a video of a very special catch from the local river several years back - the North Fork of the South Platte River. It's a Tiger Trout! Which is actually a sterile hybrid caused by the fertilization of a Brown Trout's egg by a Brook Trout's milt. The good 'ole "Fishing Rod Ruler" marked the fish at about 13 and 1/2 inches.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been waiting for the free time coupled with good weather to ride myself past Lake George and head into Eleven Mile Canyon for some trout action! I usually fish there in mid-winter when everything else is frozen solid. The turbid water keeps most of the canyon ice-free. In Febuary, I saw so many fresh Otter tracks in the snow I felt like they were watching me! I'll get eyes on them one day...But anyway, here is a video of a very special catch from the local river several years back - the North Fork of the South Platte River. It's a Tiger Trout! Which is actually a sterile hybrid caused by the fertilization of a Brown Trout's egg by a Brook Trout's milt. The good 'ole "Fishing Rod Ruler" marked the fish at about 13 and 1/2 inches.

Very nice. I caught my first tiger trout last summer in a high mountain lake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts