TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Great job, looks intrinsic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
wouldn't it be EXtrinsic?

looks cool,
just a word of advice... don't take it on a friendly-fred easy rock adventure... you'd be likely to puncture it on a forced-low-speed-boulder-assisted ejection trial....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
wouldn't it be EXtrinsic?

looks cool,
just a word of advice... don't take it on a friendly-fred easy rock adventure... you'd be likely to puncture it on a forced-low-speed-boulder-assisted ejection trial....
Thanks Joe, extrinsic does fit better! I just meant that it looked like it belonged to be there. Such a neat job well done looked factory. Accolades to Peter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,346 Posts
"extrinsic" I don't think we have that word or any word like it up here in Canada lol
yeah, up your neck of the woods, the clear things hanging off the side of your tank are called icicles! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Do you happen to have any pictures of the actual fab process? And any advice for anyone attempting the same mod?

That looks pretty awesome!

Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Do you happen to have any pictures of the actual fab process? And any advice for anyone attempting the same mod?"

Ok first thing is I drained the tank and gave it a couple days to make sure it was completely dry and free of fumes. Sorry I didn't take pics of the process but it was actually pretty simple. I tried it on a piece of sheet metal first as I have soldered lots of wiring but but never a brake line to sheet metal. The soldered joint was strong enough that I could twist it 360 degrees with out breaking it off. I ground about an inch of paint around where I wanted to drill my holes then I went for it! Cut a couple pieces of 3/16 brake line and ground and bent the ends that I would be soldering. I positioned the lines and applied some acid flux to the area. I used my small butane torch to apply heat to one side of the brake line while holding the 50/50 solder to the other side then all of a sudden it just starts flowing. I applied most of the heat to the line as its thicker than the tank then use a little heat on the tank to help it flow and bond then filled a little more between them for strength. I positioned my pipes so the fuel line would be nice and tight to the front of the tank, not touch anything else even at full lock and not be able to get snagged in the bush. I found out the hose I used is not proper fuel line so will be replacing it and using a couple spring clamps as an extra measure. The fuel line is tight to the tank but I also used some Goop to insure it stays there. I would not do this to my mint stock tank but my XT350 tank has bondo, stickers and was painted with a rattle can so I don't mind adding a little more personality to it. The bad side of this mod is that if it were to leak it would drip gasoline onto the engine and exhaust which could be disastrous and so I do not recommend others perform this modification.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top