TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2006 TW with 6K on the clock. The steering seems really heavy or difficult to turn handlebars. Tires look almost new. Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks. New to forum

·
Registered
412 Posts
A simple thing to check is the tyre pressure is not too low, try putting a few more psi in it. Recommended is 22psi.

PS. Welcome aboard

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I think I have a 5.10 on my TW. It is basically set up for riding in the sand in the pine barrens in New Jersey. On the road it drives like a truck. But it's great in the sand!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Check the steering head bearings as well. With the front tire off the groundwork the handlebars back and forth. Sometimes the steering head bearings get stiff if it's sat for a while.

When I first got my XT350 the steering was very stiff or heavy feeling as you describe. It took a few weeks of riding but then the steering became normal. I was about to order new steering head bearings but didn't have to in the end.

Hopefully, your situation is discovered weather a different feeling because of a tire or steering head bearings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the steering head bearings as well. With the front tire off the groundwork the handlebars back and forth. Sometimes the steering head bearings get stiff if it's sat for a while.

When I first got my XT350 the steering was very stiff or heavy feeling as you describe. It took a few weeks of riding but then the steering became normal. I was about to order new steering head bearings but didn't have to in the end.

Hopefully, your situation is
I think I have a 5.10 on my TW. It is basically set up for riding in the sand in the pine barrens in New Jersey. On the road it drives like a truck. But it's great in the sand!

I've

Ill check tire size. It looks stock.. Thanks
discovered weather a different feeling because of a tire or steering head bearings.
Thanks for all the info. I'll check tire pressure 1st. Hopefully that will be it.

Thanks. I

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Just checked my tire size. 5.10 with 16lbs of air. The front end sticks and stops in middle of turning. Not much friction while its off the ground and turning but definately sticks in the middle. Ordered new bearings. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hopefully, your situation is discovered weather a different feeling because of a tire or steering head bearings.
I checked tire. 5.10 with 16 lbs of air. Wheel off the ground not too much friction but it sticks in the middle and stops. Ordered new bearings. Tire is new. Just got this bike. My Harley Fat Boy has a big front tire. My Honda has a big wide front tire. They dont turn anywhere near as hard as TW does. Hopfully the bearings will cure it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
19 psi is what the manual recommends for a 180lb rider, but that’s just a starting point – 16 psi should see you OK

The replacement bearings you want are “All-Balls” needle rollers, far superior to the originals. Be aware that they will protrude about 1mm – just ignore that and you’ll be fine

You don’t mention what tires you have ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5.10 tire size. Kenda. Cant remember model. I just got this a few days ago. I had a 1986 TW200 I bought brand new from the shop I was working at. Loved it. Dont remember steering being so tough. The shop I deal with now ordered some bearings for me and going to put them in next week. Not sure what brand they are. Ill keep you posted.
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts