TW200 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a kick starter kit for my tw200 from bay area yamaha in north bend oregon phone #1-541-756-1278 it works great and looks like all oem parts,they sold it to me for 189.95

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Currently my guess is, there is not a part number (official Yamaha). I think some forward thinking Yamaha shop realized they can buy a handfull of parts needed to retrofit the TW. The kit that they assembled piece by piece will have (I assume) the correct kick lever that the official Yamaha kit does not include (arm in official kit is for the XT 225).

PLEASE... when you get these parts, should it be an assemblage of parts this retailer put together, please present it as such. Otherwise, when you are gone from the forum, and this post becomes history, others will continue with stories of the fabled TW Yamaha kit, and end up buy one that has the unusable XT 225 kit arm. Thanks, Gerry

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
OK, I bought a Kit at Ebay USA...

I would say that the Kit contains...

Then, the placement on one of my TW...

Great to have all these NEWBIES letting us know about the kickstarter kit from Bay Area Yamaha, with telephone number no less........... Today I gave Ron a call at Bay Area Yamaha. Seems Ron has connections in Japan where Yamaha does offer a kit for the TW. He indicated that he also includes some instructions to help a bit with the install. This does seem to be a unique opportunity and suggests that "this kit" will only be available through this particular source. Gerry

Given the price, I would say "jump on this while they are available"

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Excellent resource!

Any foreign market parts can be ordered from Yamaha's North American sources. Finding out about them and getting the part numbers is the tough part since the numbers are not available through the barious catalogues for different markets.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I spoke with them today. It is $200 shipped to anywhere in the United States. They will also be including a digital (cd) copy of the service manual and detailed, dumbed down instructions on how to install it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I spoke with them today. It is $200 shipped to anywhere in the United States. They will also be including a digital (cd) copy of the service manual and detailed, dumbed down instructions on how to install it.

I went ahead and picked one of these up. Was going to wait till next oil change to do it, but had some time and didn't want $3 in oil to hold me up.

I"ll say the kit is pretty well laid out, the actual kickstart inner assembly all together, with washers, shims, seals already on the shaft in order of installation, then another gear again with washers/shims zip tied in the order they go on, along with the side cover gasket and misc small stuff.

The pictures aren't real good quality, but good enough to get the job done, and includes step by step instructions. This was my first time driving on a bike pull the cover off and fix something project, normally helping someone else who can remember how it goes back together.

The couple hiccups in mine, ( had to be some) I ran out of main fuel exactly when i came back from warming my bike up before i started the install, scared me for a bit, till i switched to reserve.

Removing the old gasket from the side cover was the worst part of the whole thing, after the install my first kick, the kick lever hung about halfway back up, still no start, even with electric, thats when i changed to reserve, and it fired right up on the electric starter, but made some unusual noise.. thats when it dawned on me, I should have soaked the assembly in oil before i installed it (rookie mistake). After I shut it down, and kicked it again, all was good.

I'll admit i used an impact on the clutch basket nut as in my mind the only other option was to stick a screwdriver in some expensive looking gears to hold the motor while loosening the nut. Its ok though, I'm a feathering the impact wrench expert.

All in all, I'm happy, kinda spendy, for something that should already be there, and my clutch seems to feel better after playing with the discs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow guys so it shows up after all.. if I still had a newer without the kick starter one I would be on this.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went ahead and picked one of these up. Was going to wait till next oil change to do it, but had some time and didn't want $3 in oil to hold me up.

I"ll say the kit is pretty well laid out, the actual kickstart inner assembly all together, with washers, shims, seals already on the shaft in order of installation, then another gear again with washers/shims zip tied in the order they go on, along with the side cover gasket and misc small stuff.

The pictures aren't real good quality, but good enough to get the job done, and includes step by step instructions. This was my first time driving on a bike pull the cover off and fix something project, normally helping someone else who can remember how it goes back together.

The couple hiccups in mine, ( had to be some) I ran out of main fuel exactly when i came back from warming my bike up before i started the install, scared me for a bit, till i switched to reserve.

Removing the old gasket from the side cover was the worst part of the whole thing, after the install my first kick, the kick lever hung about halfway back up, still no start, even with electric, thats when i changed to reserve, and it fired right up on the electric starter, but made some unusual noise.. thats when it dawned on me, I should have soaked the assembly in oil before i installed it (rookie mistake). After I shut it down, and kicked it again, all was good.

I'll admit i used an impact on the clutch basket nut as in my mind the only other option was to stick a screwdriver in some expensive looking gears to hold the motor while loosening the nut. Its ok though, I'm a feathering the impact wrench expert.

All in all, I'm happy, kinda spendy, for something that should already be there, and my clutch seems to feel better after playing with the discs.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The pictures aren't real good quality, but good enough to get the job done, and includes step by step instructions. This was my first time driving on a bike pull the cover off and fix something project, normally helping someone else who can remember how it goes back together..
I ordered the kit yesterday. Ron said they put new and better pics in it. I will let you know. Price is up to about 210 shipped.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I installed the kit on mine last week. The hardest part for me was removing the old gasket rom the cover, the instructions and included pictures made it a breeze.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I installed the kit on mine last week. The hardest part for me was removing the old gasket rom the cover, the instructions and included pictures made it a breeze.
Put it in this morning. It came 2 days ago. DIRTY ROTTEN gasket removal. On the plus side it will be easier next time. I also put the Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 lithium battery (210 CCA) in it. I ride all winter in Northern Illinois. Have to line up as many ducks as I can. I lost 6 riding days to the combination of Low Battery, Dirty Carb, and no kick starter. She is right now. Ron at Bay Area Yamaha put together a great kit with good pictures included.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just ordered mine from Ron. He has 1 more ready to ship as of 5:25 pm EST on Friday but has lots of parts ready to put together kits. Super nice guys. I wish the local Yamaha dealers near my house were half as nice. Thanks to the poster that made this possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.