TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the latest Petersen's 4WD & Off-Road, there's coverage of the 2017 "Overland Expo."

One of the "Top 10 Coolest Extreme-Duty 4x4 Campers" has a "TW200 stored in the rear trunk could be lowered to the ground with the onboard crane and used as a quick getaway vehicle."

Petersen's.jpg

:icon_cheers: :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think Earth Roamers and their ilk can run up towards $500k.

“Purchasing and Pricing
Each EarthRoamer XV-LTS is handcrafted at the base of the Rocky Mountains and sold factory-direct from our Colorado facility. Our waitlist is typically 7-9 months from time of order. We require a $50,000 initial deposit and a signed sales agreement to reserve the next available production spot in your name. Prices start at $451,000.”

https://earthroamer.com/xv-lt/#how-to-buy

Cool, I guess, but puts the “wretched” in “wretched excess”.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
In my many years of wandering the west for work and play I have yet to see one of these expedition grade Overlander type rigs parked down a challenging road in that ideal remote campsite that the dream of these machines is based upon. Sure, see them in National Park parking lots & campgrounds next to conventional RVs but never down a narrow rutted road, at a lakeside or tucked into any of the scenic locations as seen in the sales brochures.
They tend to be too wide for many mountainous roads that go to desirable regions out west. I suppose by the time one drops serious coin on one of these "two comma" rigs one doesn't want it scratched, muddy or stuck with a broken driveline. "Two commas" as in a price tag of $X,XXX,XXX.
But hey, this is America where often image is seen as being more important than action. If buyers enjoy the dream of being able to drive from Prudhoe Bay down through the Darien Gap in order to camp along the Darker Ralley route then OK, buy into and hopefully live the dream.
At least the smaller EarthRoamers potentially can make it to some of more open Western destinations if overhead clearance and sideslopes permit. They sure look cool for sure, just not $500,000.00 cool.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
What I kinda wanted to do do was get some original Hummers and make a custom pop up trailers with high ground clearance and do tours into Baja, etc. Such a rig would be able to get into places you’re talking about Fred.

Here are 10 such trailers: 10 Off-Road Camping Trailers Perfect For Your Jeep

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I agree with your analyses Fred.... Only see rigs like that on the paved highway around here.... And after purchase...."double comma" there is the daily cost of fuel and maintenance on the tow vehicle.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Nicely equiped Unimog! Nice to see they have a little shovel for when they get stuck.:)
I say this jokingly in that I have had some experience extricating large things like drill rig support vehicles and water trucks from off-road situations and you will certainly need more than a shovel. At least some commercial rigs have outriggers one can put down, lift the vehicle up and insert a road underneath with timbers, cribbing, etc. durapad in use.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
nice set up, but, i would be just a little pissed off if i had to empty 5 gallons of black water every few days, after spending $500,000

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
That must be what the shovel is for.:p

Free squatting bear style saves precious water. squatting_bear-links.jpg

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Fred, There are hundreds of them at auction on any given week. $7,000 will usually get you one. There are a few other auction sites you can find if you google Stewart Stevenson.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
That one was only mildly broken! Would want one I could at least drive home, preferably at 70mph.:p Did see an ex-Army 6x6 923 camper conversion creep by my Sweetwater camp once . He was terribly slow but easily straddled muddy wheel ruts that would have swallowed my van. I'll probably stick to my van a bit longer since I don't need a ladder to get into it.
Plus even the auctioned cab over shorty is a bit big for many destinations. Some roads can get a bit narrow... jeep.jpg

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That Jeep pickup is one of my favorites. When I was a kid my neighbor had a red J4000 with a black soft safari top on it. One of the funnier ass kickings I got in elementary school, the nun walked by my desk while I was drawing that truck instead of whatever the hell I should have been writing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tweeaker I have an off road teardrop trailer and it's great but difficult in mud and sharp switchbacks on narrow mountain roads. Other that those issues it is great. Bear proof,off the ground,easy to store and simple. Never liked the expedition utility trailers with tents. They look cool but have no insulation, force you climb a ladder at night and you still have to set everything up like a tent. Teardrops you just park, sleep on a queen size memory foam mattress in a metal box with cabinets and coat hooks. You can even read in bed with good lighting. In addition all there is to setting up the kitchen is to open the back. The galley is at walk up height from the camp fire. We built our van so we could avoid dragging through mud and it's great to be able to fit in a normal sized parking spot. That is advantageous off road as well as on. No more twenty point turns on switchbacks or unhooking and winching. My plan when I wear out the van is to convert a 4x4 ambulance from a snowy state like Montana. More room than the van, cheaper and you can actually access the diesel engine.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Cool White elephant, van pictures for a fellow van fan?
When the wind howls, bears scratch, bugs bite or rain beats down any tent loses it's appeal to a rigid skinned enclosures like your van.

I worried about attracting a sufficient client base for Tweaker's business plan for guided extreme 4x4 tent trailer tours. Anyone willing to pay for first class steerage through Baja might demand the latest and greatest in haul vehicles as well as ability to pilots rig in privacy. As such a successful company might need to follow African Safari themes and set up bases while clients roam on <$30,000 side-by-sides or >$80,000 Jeeps. Capitol intensive for a start up firm.

Maybe there is an analogy to the wet vs. dry charters available we see available in yachting and general aviation. One used to get affordable "dry charters"for VW Vanagons in Nude Zealand making for fantastic self guided camping tours through the South Island.

Reactions: Tweaker

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I did have a very light weight pop up tent trailer for many years when my kids were younger. I bought if from someone who won it on the “price is right”TV show. It was very simple with 1 dinette that turned into a double bed and two queen beds on the ends. It had a sink, water tank, with manual pump, an ice box and propane stove. I added a battery, electric water pump and inside lights. I also rotated the axle and put it under the springs along with larger and wider tires which raised up the ground clearance. Over the years I towed it with many 4x4 vechicles. My absolute favorite tow rig was a V 6 Mitsubishi Montero wagon. It had a suspension driver seat. I towed this combo into some very remote spots in the Ca and Baja desert. The Montero would tow that trailer in pretty deep sand in two wheel drive most of the time. In 4x4 I never got it stuck. We used that thing until it fell apart. It wasn’t too bad to set up to take down but it was very annoying in strong winds and the desert has lots of that. White Elephant I didn’t get into mud much so I can see how your van would be good. We were 5 people so needed more space.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
In my many years of wandering the west for work and play I have yet to see one of these expedition grade Overlander type rigs parked down a challenging road in that ideal remote campsite that the dream of these machines is based upon. Sure, see them in National Park parking lots & campgrounds next to conventional RVs but never down a narrow rutted road, at a lakeside or tucked into any of the scenic locations as seen in the sales brochures.
They tend to be too wide for many mountainous roads that go to desirable regions out west. I suppose by the time one drops serious coin on one of these "two comma" rigs one doesn't want it scratched, muddy or stuck with a broken driveline. "Two commas" as in a price tag of $X,XXX,XXX.
But hey, this is America where often image is seen as being more important than action. If buyers enjoy the dream of being able to drive from Prudhoe Bay down through the Darien Gap in order to camp along the Darker Ralley route then OK, buy into and hopefully live the dream.
At least the smaller EarthRoamers potentially can make it to some of more open Western destinations if overhead clearance and sideslopes permit. They sure look cool for sure, just not $500,000.00 cool.
our rig was a $5400 10 yr old 4runner from craigslist.
san antonio, chile- october '03
gertieexit.jpg
san diego, ca- june '04
homeagain.jpg
had an extra spare hanging off the back end, didn't have a tdub yet. ;)
elgrandeviaje.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts