TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking up some information for a different post, I discovered that Motorcycle Consumer News, which is similar to Consumer Reports, but for all things motorcycle related (and my all-time favorite cycle magazine), has their February 2010 test of the Yamaha TW200 available on their website for all to enjoy. Their test report, and this forum, led to the purchase of my TWs. I don't recall seeing this report linked here before, but if it was I apologize.

The magazine's homepage is http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/home.aspx . The TW200 evaluation and complete specs are at http://www.mcnews.co...l/2010FebTW.pdf

Enjoy,

Corey

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Interesting. The only thing I puzzled over was there complaint that the "right-side toolbox bulge makes standind on the pegs awkward. Huh??
I know where the tools are stored on the TW and it doesn't created any kind of buldge I'm ever noticed. What are they talking about here??

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Maybe it was that California emmissions canister I understand some have on their bikes that I've heard referred to as a "fart can?"

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
It says the redline is 10,250 and " is willing enough to rev its guts out for prolonged periods at wide open throttle". Now I don't feel so bad about extended rides at 9,000+ rpms.

All in all a very good article written by an author with a sense of humor.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
On the torquey Yamaha TW200, it was simply a matter of popping it into second gear and holding the throttle open. It rode through and over obstacles like a two-wheeled tank.

Okay... I like that part of the testers notes, and agree.

Now...

Although the seat-peg-han-lebar relationship discouraged stand-up riding, this generally recommended off-road riding technique really wasn’t necessary as the fat tires competently resisted the destabilizing effect of the rock-covered trails.

This is why we have the D2Moto (and other brand) foot pegs, the 2" handlebar risers, etc.

With a couple of basic inexpensive mods, the stand-up problem is solved.

Just noticed on the spec sheet... Speed @ 65 mph indicated = 62.2

So the speedometers are off a bit. 4%?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Okay... I like that part of the testers notes, and agree.

Now...

This is why we have the D2Moto (and other brand) foot pegs, the 2" handlebar risers, etc.

With a couple of basic inexpensive mods, the stand-up problem is solved.

Just noticed on the spec sheet... Speed @ 65 mph indicated = 62.2

So the speedometers are off a bit. 4%?

I'm sure no two are alike but, I use my Garmin Zumo 550 on mine frequently and it shows only a difference of 1-2 mph. Crazy thing is, sometimes it is dead on. Sometimes it's a tad off. I think the increment marks are just sloppily painted on the speedo.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
<hummmmmm> Took a good look at my bike when I went out today... The right side panel does stick out at least 1½" more than the left. The front of the left panel is inside the frame tube, and the front of the right panel is outside the frame tube. With the small stock foot pegs can understand why it would bother the test rider. I think the larger after-market foot pegs make up for it. Of course I'm a little bow-legged anyway.

Y'all remember how the after-market foot pegs end up being different heights? There seems to be a lot of stuff on this bike that is not symmetrical.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
"TW200forum.com, a website of hard-core TW devotees,". Funny

Added the larger aftermarket footpegs a couple of days ago. I can stand better and for me, I attribute this to a larger footpeg surface area, not so much a heigth difference. Made for a way-more comfortable standing position. When I add handlebar risers this winter, I hope it will increase the comfort level even more.

Will adding the risers increase my "hard-core" riding experience! giggle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Now that I am aware of the tool kit I do feel it on my leg when I am standing. I stand a lot since the trails I ride are tight and technical. I can see how it would get annoying if you stand a lot and need to throw the bike around. Now I am thinking about bigger foot pegs and maybe risers. Any advise on what to buy and where to buy them would be helpful.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
"Close ratio transmission"? I think not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is always fun to read an article about something we own that tells us what a great choice it was.

I too search for the tool kit for a bit before finding it - this is a new owner's/no manual problem

I've riden enough years and miles to know this bike is a keeper for long into the future

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mudpuppy,

Thanks for finding the article

You're welcome guys. I think that all-in-all the article is a pretty realistic and balanced assessment of the stock TW.

I've trusted MCN magazine's assessments on gear and bikes for years, and reading this article sold me on a TW as a good match for my style of riding and needs. It also led me to this forum!
Hopefully it also helps others who are debating whether the TW is the bike for them.

Corey

1 - 20 of 20 Posts