TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here and new to TWs. I bought mine a year ago and logged 2k miles of trails on it along with 1000 of commuting. I love this bike. Handles and brakes better than any sport bike I’ve ever ridden. However since I moved further away from my work and it’s all highway in North Jersey, I can’t peg the tw at top speed for 45mins each way every day, And I come from a 4x4 background engine swaps and custom fabrication are the norm. I looked around and just saw everyone say engine swaps aren’t possible or too expensive or not worth it. However I’m a welder/machinist and want to tackle this. I want to keep a carb, have a parallel twin for packaging, and to keep the bike as close to stock weight as possible. Not many engines to choose from in North America, then I remembered ninja 250s exist. I can’t find any info on the outer dimensions of the engine, but any help would be appreciated. I know a new custom longer output sprocket shaft will needed but that’s what my boys who run the lathes and Bridgeport are for.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have not seen dimensions for either motor.
Might have to spend ~$300 for a used motor to get started.
My 2018 XT250 was only about 10 MPH faster than my 2017 TW200.
A twin may be an improvement.
My 1967 CB160 Honda would run an indicated 92 MPH (speedometer error not checked, but strongly suspect).
OTOH, my 1967 CL160 (used, purchased in 1969) would barely do ~80.

·
Super Moderator
17,954 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
20,179 Posts
For an off road bike I think I would stick with a single cylinder since the peak torque usually occurs at lower rpm than a twin due to inherent crank and stroke geometry. Same potential for peak torque per unit displacement, just occurs at a lower trail friendly RPM. However for the New Jersey highways a quick spinning twin would be fun. Still, having gobs of single cylinder roll-on torque available to quickly get out of trouble would be good from a safety standpoint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For an off road bike I think I would stick with a single cylinder since the peak torque usually occurs at lower rpm than a twin due to inherent crank and stroke geometry. Same potential for peak torque per unit displacement, just occurs at a lower trail friendly RPM. However for the New Jersey highways a quick spinning twin would be fun. Still, having gobs of single cylinder roll-on torque available to quickly get out of trouble would be good from a safety standpoint.
I know a thumper will always be better for trail riding but at the same time the closest off road park too me is 2 hours away via rt80, I’ll be willing to tach it up more than usual on the trail for extended engine life and comfort on the way there and back

·
Registered
20,179 Posts
Off on a tangent here but Honda sure has made some interesting engines over the years that people have thendone even more interesting things with them . 3Pedaldan very well may be the next.:D

Here he puts two CT90s together. Twins do sound soooo fine!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Has anyone here owned an old Honda CB350 CB360 CB400 CB450 twin? I was looking up specs and I think its the 360 is even a 6 speed. Was there alot of vibration to these engines? Share your thoughts on these engines please I see the 400 hawk had like 43 HP :) Add some good brakes, suspension and a set of 203/204s "TW400SM" Wish I had a motorcycle wrecking yard.

·
Super Moderator
17,954 Posts
Out of that group, I had a CB350 and yes on a long drive, it numbed your whole body...
Has anyone here owned an old Honda CB350 CB360 CB400 CB450 twin? I was looking up specs and I think its the 360 is even a 6 speed. Was there alot of vibration to these engines? Share your thoughts on these engines please I see the 400 hawk had like 43 HP :) Add some good brakes, suspension and a set of 203/204s "TW400SM" Wish I had a motorcycle wrecking yard.

·
Registered
478 Posts
We spend a lot of time discussing how to put a bigger engine in our TWs... what if we explore putting fatter tires on a bigger bike?

I'll bet for the cost of a custom "TW250," we could adapt fat tires to an XT350... dang, I might have to look in to this idea a bit further! :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
20,179 Posts
Fat Tire conversions on big bores MXers can be nice if you like wheelies and gobs of power, that sort of thing. They are not a dual sport road legal like our infinitely superior TW200s though.:p fat1.jpg fat2.jpg fat3.jpg They can be the perfect summertime complement to your Timbersled.:p

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Ken "I think the handling of the TW gets squirrelly when the speed gets higher. I've only had mine to 70mph down hill behind a semi."

On 203/204s it handles amazing at any speed that I could ever get out of it.

CJ7Pilot "
We spend a lot of time discussing how to put a bigger engine in our TWs... what if we explore putting fatter tires on a bigger bike?"

I have seen some swaps where people put the complete TW wheels on their bike because they are a 32 spoke wheel. Another option is to use the Suzuki VanVan rims which I believe are 36 spokes that could be laced up to most other hubs.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Has anyone here owned an old Honda CB350 CB360 CB400 CB450 twin?.
CB160
CL160
CL350
SL350
CB360 (5 speed)

Most was commuting, but the CB160 went from McGuire AFB in NJ, around Long Island to what was LaGuardia airport, about 400 miles.
I do not recall (1967) any bike related discomfort, just cold (April) and wet.

The CL350 was my favorite of those.

Photos not my bike, but same color, etc.
1970-CL350-K2-1.jpg
1970-CL350-K2-2.jpg

·
Registered
816 Posts
I was trying to figure out how to jam a r3 300 parallel twin into a tw. it would open a whole can of worms with fuel injection and liquid cooled, but with enough patience Im sure it could be done. On the other hand im not sure what you would do with a 42hp tw......... but ive got some ideas

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
42hp r3? I know the specs say that but it felt no different than my daughters cbr250 which to me doesn't feel like it has much more power than the TW.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts